2008 VIPER SHOWN IN MAGAZINE

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A buddy just called me to let me know the same thing. Guess I will have to go out and buy it.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Latest Road & Track has pictures and a write-up about the 600hp engine.

What's the car look like?

Wheels ("same old SRT rims)? Is it a Coupe?

Do they show pics of the motor?

Is it a short (1 page) writeup or a few pages?

Did it make the cover?

I'll see if R&T has hit the local bookshelves this eve.

-J

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone own a scanner?

Anyone??

If it isn't up by the time I get my copy I will scan it in, but since I just moved and the mail needs to be redirected it may take some time.

Midgetfist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4129101lackofpicsdisturbingvader.jpg

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i'm going to the store for beer ....that picture better be up when i get back or i'm going to kick some *** !

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know a guy who lives on Brickel Key with mob connections, if you don't get those scans up you may get a visit from a few large men in dark suits... with pitchforks of course.

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mag is out--but not everywhere. In any event, it' true. Basically it's the same car, new hood and 600hp (8.4 Liter). In the same mag they have an article about the new "SS Supercharged Vette" sporting 650hp (LS7)--just GM trying to one up the new Viper.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me be the first to say it. It will probably be at least a year before reliable after market parts are developed to enhance the power beyond the 600HP level. So those of you who waited missed out on months of having a Paxtonized SRTC with over 700HP. Woodhouse rules! Thanks again Bill P. and Mark J. The early bird got the worm. However, for most people 600HP is more than enough to meet or exceed their driving skills so place those orders so that the Viper can continue.

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
By the way, my wife looked for the article at Costco and SuperTarget with no luck. She says no action until we see the article. Someone, please.....

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
ITs on page 18, Feb issue.

580 HP
560 TQ

Variable Valve timing (I was criticised here for suggesting that, some months ago! And now its a reality!)

Boosted compression from 9.6 to 10.2, with 8.4 liters.
Has some free breathing tricks, no crossover pipe, special (and bigger) valves, plenum and header refinements.

Body looks the same, except for the three deep cooling scoops on each side of the hood, just adjacent to the stripes, and inboard of the fenders.

Twin disk clutch, with 18% less rotating mass.

New Tremec TR6060 tranny, with three synch cones on 1st and 2nd, two cones on the rest. (Up from two cones on 1st and 2nd, one on the rest, on the T56.)

Diff by Dana, fitted with a "GKN speed-sensing viscous-couped limited slip", said to improve response to changes in traction.

*****Vette haters read no further*****

Viper now has 5.91 pounds/HP, verses the coming 650HP Corvette SS' Enzo-like 4.76 pounds/HP, (based on the current ZO6s' 3100# weight, and the weight has been said to be even less on the SS. But I can't believe their target weight of 2900#, sounds impossible. IF true, that would result in 4.46 #/HP, which is hyper-exotic territory)

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got back from looking for this magazine. Yes, its a pretty big disappointment. The cover has the small pic shown here and only a 1/2 pg. article about the new Viper.

BUT...

Everyone go buy the February 07' MotorTrend!!! The entire cover is a beautiful 08' red/white SRT-C (w/new hood) and has a 6 pg article with beautiful pics of the red/white SRT-C and a burgundy SRT. I'm gonna try to scan the cover, but my scanner is also part of my printer and the mag is prob too fat to fit thru it :( I've yet to read the article but will do that and post any interesting stuff

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
BTW my 2004 with the Arrow rebuild did 580 TQ and 540hp on the engine dyno.

How much did they really do for that increase?

I just think they should have waited until 2009 and put out a real gen IV. This is just going to be another nail in the viper coffin until DC gets its head out of the a$$ and ponies up a realy nasty car.

This won't get sales going and with the massive amount of SRT's already sitting on dealer lots or for sale it could spell the end for our beloved car. I really think they failed us.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OOOOOOOOOH GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD! What's the world coming toooooooooo! FACTORY 600HP VIPERS & 650HP SS, temptation EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!Did I here someone say, get a second on the house? Must be my wife.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't scan, but here's some digi cam pics!

You must be registered for see images attach

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting points from the article:

8.4L engine

McLaren Performance Technologies, Ricardo, and others consulted on the engine project

Engine now has VVT

Platinum sparkplugs

6400 RPM redline

Compresion 10.2:1

Revised cusbustion chambers for smoother airflow and less friction, larger valves (23% more flow on intake side) 12% more flow on exhaust side.

Swinging oil pickup to protect against oil starvation during hard cornering

New oil filter

Intake system: now 2-piece manifold/plenum desin with smoother intake passages and surfaces throughout. Dual electronic throttle bodies. Cold air intake system revised for higher flow, less weight, and better NVH. Each cylinder now has its own coil pack mounted to the valve cover. Better sounding exhaust w/o interior heat due to the dumping of the SRT x-pipe setup.

New dual-disc clutch pack has 18% less intertia for quicker engine revs.

No more run flat tires

New optional wheel design called Razor

Same frame and suspension as 03-06

New Color combos: Shakespeare Green, Viper violet, and bright orange.

No mention of a new front facia, only the louvered hood

Cost: $90k (MT estimate)
Weight: 3400lbs (MT est)
EPA: not yet rated
On sale in US: Mid-07'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187