2008's AWESOME, NOW TIME FOR BODY IMPROVEMENTS

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2008's are awesome with all the choice's we now have, vert-coupe-color's-
interior-ACR-etc.... The following comes from me owning 2-genII's and 2-genIII's.
IMHO it's time for some styling change's, WE NEED A NEW LOOK to go with all
the improvements to date. The SRT vert has had it's day and at this point so
has the coupe.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE:D

1) Bring back the curves
2) Hood opening from the windshield - ONE PIECE
3) Get rid of the HUGE TRUNK, I keep my clubs at the club, lol.
4) GET A REAL SHIFTER, IT'S NOT A BUS.:dunno:
5) Offer yellow, it sells.
6) Offer a HEMI at a lower price to compete with a std vet

I'M STUCK WITH THIS RED AND CAN'T CHANGE IT, LOL. SORRY.

IMHO Dodge really needs to give the VIPER a NEW LOOK as it has eveything
else. The SRT vert has had it's day and thanks to the coupe it has kept genIII
going for a few more years. I read so many post about the VIPER being done
and if Dodge doesn't change the look, even minor, it could come true. THE VCA
AND DODGE NEED'S NEW OWNERS, THEY BUY THE NEWEST-GREATEST-FIRST, IT'S
TIME.

WOOOOOHOOOOO, i HAVE BLACK AGAIN, LOL.

So what do the rest of you think, curious to see.

WANTED

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry, but YUK. I will want the viper to end production the day I see it with a V-8 IMHO.

What I would want to see for the next gen is just for it to be lighter. If it could lose 200 pounds it would make it even more amazing! I think for a cool factor would be to bring back the clamshell hood and maybe a freshen up the inside and out. Other than those two things I think the viper is pretty much perfect!

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) Bring back the curves
-Kind of agree with you here. I prefer the bolder older look. The verts do nothing for me, but the current coupe looks mean. :2tu:
-You're talking about dumbing down the Viper to compete with crud like the Corvette and in similar price ranges.... but you want a super-expensive clamshell on the front? While I prefer the Gen I/II style, I think it would be hard to reverse the hood change from a cost and ease of construction point of view.

-Sure, yeah I have no problem with this... but what would the ass end look like?

-I, for one, think it is a good idea that we continue to give MGW our patronage. :usa:

-So does fuchia if you find the right buyer. Plus, yellow is a hard color to get "right". I actually prefer the Corvette yellows to what Dodge has offered in the past.

-You're not talking about a Viper anymore. You're talking about a mid-range vehicle. Put the crack pipe down. **IF** Viper goes away, let it go away with a strong image as memory..... not a lot of half-measures that detract from the legacy.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the SRT's look as good as the gen2's...In some ways better..in some ways not...But over all the SRT's look pretty amazing...

If they ever make a standard base hemi viper then i wont own a viper any more...Ill get a Z06...

The fact that you never see a viper is 50% of it's appeal. C6Z06's are awesome mid 11 second cars off the show room floor. But Ive seen more C6Z06's since 2006 than I have SRT's since 2003...And the THOUSANDS of base C6's shore dont help..

So if the make a base Viper with a hemi..Well the viper would be over for me..

Again with the looks...Me and my buddy parked my red SRT10 vert and his yellow c6Z06 next to each other to fill up gas today on the way for some spirited driving...While going in to get some drinks i turned around and looked at them sitting together..

trust me..The SRT10's dont need to change anything visually...With the cross grill front end and the openings in the hood the SRT10 just looked sinister while the c6Z06 looked a little boring in comparison...

Not that the gen2's dont look just as good or better...But I dont really think a redesighn is in order...The SRT10's have reached a level of overall perfection in looks/handling/acelleration/interior in the 2008 models that very few cars can match....

Honestly the only thing I would change would be to make the rear end of the SRT10 verts look like the Coupe...That would be an amazing looking vehicle..

But thats the problem...If they made the verts rear look like the coupe it would look TOO amazing....And coupe sales would suffer...

So they give you the option...Go ******* with a subdued rear..or always have a top with an agressive rear end...

When i was driving through the hawaiian mountains today with my top down and checking out scenery from 1000 ft up at 60 mph and then going through 1/2 mile tunnels through the mountains with my c6z06 buddy pulling along side of me smiling and revving.....Well I would have picked the ******* option over the nice rear end on this day

Last edited:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW..Wanted.....When the heck you gonna go run those 10's man..Ive been waiting for 6 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
-So does fuchia if you find the right buyer. Plus, yellow is a hard color to get "right". I actually prefer the Corvette yellows to what Dodge has offered in the past.

Tusc, I'd say that Dodge gets it right!

viper4.jpg

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) A styling change would probably occur in 2010 just to meet new collision standards, if the Viper survives. Whether the new owners choose to complete the huge investment remains to be seen. If I like the new styling, it would be a reason for me to own 2 Vipers.
2) The clam shell hood is a bad idea.
3) A smaller trunk is also a bad idea. Golf clubs are not the issue with me. If you travel in your Viper and like to change clothing, the current storage is about right. Can you imagine driving cross country in a Ford GT?
4) The 2008 shifts much better than the 03-06 cars. I have not tried my old MGW knob yet, but I do agree the shifter is pretty tall.
5) I'd bet yellow will be available before the end of the 2009 run.
6) I think larger production numbers for the Viper are not a good idea. If the Viper survives, and it gets down to a V-8 Hemi with over 600HP which outperforms the current car, I would buy it if I liked the styling.
JMHO:eater:

Bill

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
NO big changes from the SRT. No need to. Just 'evolve' from here like the Porsche 911.

Overall, I think the Gen 3 SRT was a styling improvement over the previous Gen Vipers. MUCH better looking headlights, and MUCH better looking rear/tail lights. I would however, see room for improved aerodynamics in the front nose/grill ... and the oversized fog light openings. Other than that, spend the money on supporting racing teams a visibility for this amazing car ... MAKE IT A RACING LEGEND, seen over and over again in full racing graphics, winning race after race, and nobody will talk about styling.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2008's are awesome with all the choice's we now have, vert-coupe-color's-
interior-ACR-etc.... The following comes from me owning 2-genII's and 2-genIII's.
IMHO it's time for some styling change's, WE NEED A NEW LOOK to go with all
the improvements to date. The SRT vert has had it's day and at this point so
has the coupe.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE:D

1) Bring back the curves

I'M STUCK WITH THIS RED AND CAN'T CHANGE IT, LOL. SORRY.

IMHO Dodge really needs to give the VIPER a NEW LOOK as it has eveything
else. The SRT vert has had it's day and thanks to the coupe it has kept genIII
going for a few more years. I read so many post about the VIPER being done
and if Dodge doesn't change the look, even minor, it could come true. THE VCA
AND DODGE NEED'S NEW OWNERS, THEY BUY THE NEWEST-GREATEST-FIRST, IT'S
TIME.

WOOOOOHOOOOO, i HAVE BLACK AGAIN, LOL.

So what do the rest of you think, curious to see.

WANTED

I agree with a redesign that is curvy like the GTS. Hood opening would be nice and a real shifter for sure, its not a school bus.

However I do disagree with making Yellow available every year or for that matter, certain colors available every year. I feel limiting some colors keep the Vipers appeal their because you may see 100 Red vipers but only 2 yellow/black or saphire or silver/blue, etc.

Also, no HEMI or lesser engine. I feel this would kill the feel of owning a Viper. Very similar to driving around with a kit made lamb or ferrari with a v4 engine. Some as people putting poser brakes (drilled/slotted) on their Viper for the looks but the brakes are less effective.

Things that make the Viper unquie is the big v10 engine and limited color options, massive hp/tq. Whenever I pull into a gas station and some ask "man, how much hp/tq that thing got", I tell them 450/490 and they have to step back. Now if I had a v6 and was asked the same questions, they would say "thats it", my saturn could probably beat you. Also, there is no better feeling then opening the hood and being blow away by the v10. Same reason lambs and ferraris showcase their engines, it a master piece and I sure would not want a watered down version. With another engine option, these would be no different then a corvette, a dine a dozen.

Just my opinion and I am not responding negative to any post so please dont take it that way.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...now if you said:
6) Viper race engine (675 I believe hp) then I would whole heartedly agree with you. Especially since mustang is offering a similar option (I know, no warranty), 750 hp I believe.

I see you posted this at almost midnight, so we will assume you had a long day at work and were sleep typing.

First Strike

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In my opinion I beleive a new design/look would be an awesome move by dodge. I would like to see a slightly shorter car in overall lenth and improvements on rear & nose.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
NO big changes from the SRT. No need to. Just 'evolve' from here like the Porsche 911.

Overall, I think the Gen 3 SRT was a styling improvement over the previous Gen Vipers. MUCH better looking headlights, and MUCH better looking rear/tail lights. I would however, see room for improved aerodynamics in the front nose/grill ... and the oversized fog light openings. Other than that, spend the money on supporting racing teams a visibility for this amazing car ... MAKE IT A RACING LEGEND, seen over and over again in full racing graphics, winning race after race, and nobody will talk about styling.

I agree. The Porsche sells and has its following. It has never drastically changed, just evolved. And I would consider there GT3 like our ACR.

Secondly, there should be on and always one Viper. Supercharge them or leave them N/A, but dont make a cheaper version like the Vette. As much as i respect the Z06 and think its a great car, its a shame it looks like a regular C6 to most people. I love the fact that when you have a Viper, You HAVE a Viper!! Unlike the vette, where you pull up in your Z06 and someone says "oh, my grandma has that same car, its a automatic, but boy it sure is fast"

Again, the Viper does need to evolve. The Z06 or the Porsche are great examples of a car that can go to track and kick butt and be driven to work the next day. Yet they have alot of refinements. Not saying the Viper needs cruise control and heated seats but it does need some more technology. They dont need to sell 10K units a year, but probably need to sell a few more then they do now. That being said, means we need new customers. Need to get guys out of Vettes, Porsches, Mustangs and into Vipers. To do that, the Viper needs some updates or refinements. There are a huge amount who say dont change the Viper, leave it raw, but these are guys still driving gen1/2's and this does nothing for Chrysler. Your not out buying new Vipers. The people that owned a Gen 1, then got a Gen 2, now a Gen 3 and now a Gen 4, those are the ones Chrysler looks at , as well as getting new customers. So let the Viper evolve and change. It will keep it around for a long time to come, so that when anyone of us are ready for a "new " Viper, we will still have one to go buy or order.

Viper GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Or make a smaller viper car with a V8 not the same but has its curves and feel and it will be like it's little brother with all the fun and power .
for an example like the Lamborghini "marshaligo" and the "Giraldo" and bee in the power rang of the c6 with a bet more expensive or same price of the mustangs and camaros, i think that will be nice =)
the only thing that's bugs me in the new viper are the front lights need to be more aggressive !!

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it depends on how you view it. I, for one choose to buy a GEN 2, over a GEN 3 (which I could afford as well as the 08) because of styling even though the GEN 3 and GEN 4 has updated....everything. To attract new owners, I agree that it does need gizmos to complete with corvette and porsche, etc but make them options not standard. TC and other electronic assistants are great and would help the Viper performance overall but some do not want it and will not upgrade from a GEN 2,3 or 4 to a GEN 5 with electronic assist. if it is standard. All in all, yes the Viper would improve and attract new customers if more electronic options were available but keep them as options.

I also agree, porsche has evolved but styling remain pretty much the same and nothing else on the road looks like a porsche.

Stan Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper should never have anything less than a V10. The rest of the car is built around the engine.

We don't need or want Hemi models over populating the streets. Then everyone on this board will be complaining about the inability to distinguish a V10 model from a less expensive V8 model.

Why do people think cars must change every 5 years or so, and to what level of change. I would say the changes should be minor. You should always be able to look at the original concept Viper and see it in the 2010+ models.

Porsche has done this for the life of the 911, and I have never heard anyone complain about the cars needing to be completely redesigned.

The Viper is the only true American Sports Car left for sale. It does not need to follow the lead of others. Just look at the path the Corvette has taken from 1953 to 2008. There have been so many design changes in the generations that a non-car guy might not even realize they are the same car.

Change the headlights, change the interior, minor styling changes, etc. but don't make a major change or redesign.

Just my $.02

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice curves, u can see how the side pipes actually prevent the viper from having sleek side curves and therfore the viper will look boxy
3905664647_237540129_IM1_02_565x421_A_565x377.jpg

3905664648_237540129_IM1_03_565x421_A_565x377.jpg

jimmy6383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a new look would be cool i guess...but never lower the standards (cheaper more affordable viper). I lost all respect for Jaguar when they started offering the lower range models. Same with Mercedes and their C class. Mercedes and Jaguar are luxury vehicles and they should stay that way. Same with the Viper. I don't want to see a Viper every time I go for cruise. That's what makes a Viper a Viper.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do not offer a v8 viper, there would be many more on the road and ours wouldnt be unique anymore and it would lose its following. Many here would end up probably selling theyre viper if they became as common as a vette.

And get rid of the side pipes, if we can get them to sound like the previous gen GTS where its a full v10 sound not two 5 cylinders. Besides you get to see more of the pipes from the back not just 1/4 if the pipe coming out a hole.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The clam shell hood will never happen. Way too expensive, and we know that cost is another factor in production. With the Mopar add ons the new engine will produce 675hp +. Look at what the addition of Belanger headers does. The post about the Dyno after the headers alone added 57hp at the rear wheels.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Here you go, Jeff Lemke's Street Serpent design - very suttle changes - but they make a huge difference. Biggest thing Dodge could do would be to eliminate the huge wheel well gaps by lowering the Viper or bringing in the panels to more closely fit. Coupe could also get an update with a more swooping roof line.

y4.jpg

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A redesign is a risky endeavor. One member suggested shortening the car. Surely the front cannot be shortened, due to the engine size. If they kept the wheelbase the same (for the sake of stability) but chopped off the rear, it would look horrible like the corvette rear does. Now, if they tweaked it to look more like the GTS-R concept car in 2000, I can't imagine too many complaints. Wider, flared fenders would surely go over well. A complete redesign could be disastrous.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Arguing about "what looks more aggressive" or the better style are silly, no two people will ever agree and everybody will defend what THEY own. But there should NEVER be a Viper, and a Viper-lite. When you see a Viper there can be no question what it is. A supercar - US made exotic.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A V8 Viper? Why in all that is good would anyone want to emasculate the V10? Might as well buy a vette if that happens. Can you even legally use V8 and Viper in the same sentance??? Viper = V10. You a V8, go buy an SRT.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang