2010 ACR vs GEN V car

viper vince

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to see a 2010 ACR go against a GEN V car on the drag strip and see a head to head test with two novice drives.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say the GEN V wins hands down. WIth the advantage of launch control it would (in theory) get off the line a little bit cleaner.

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ACR on the drag strip? You realize a stock regular Viper will beat an equivalent model year stock ACR (slightly) in the 1/4 mile, right?

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACR on the drag strip? You realize a stock regular Viper will beat an equivalent model year stock ACR (slightly) in the 1/4 mile, right?

This. ACR is the slowest Gen 4 in a straight line, due to the aero drag. It just looks the meanest. Gen 5 is geared much better for 1/4-mile.

And, I'd rather not watch two novices try racing. I'd rather see two good drivers go at it.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This. ACR is the slowest Gen 4 in a straight line, due to the aero drag. It just looks the meanest. Gen 5 is geared much better for 1/4-mile.

And, I'd rather not watch two novices try racing. I'd rather see two good drivers go at it.

I dunno...I think it would be kinda funny to watch if they both stalled at the line.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen V with the revised gearing.............no question on that one.
Also, a newbie could utilize the launch control in the new car.

..............and yes, the ACR is only faster on a road course.

Elohim1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I guess mine would fall in the middle , since it is not a ACR but has Aero package (smaller rear wing and no front side wings).

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have yet to be impressed with the Gen V dyno sheets 1/4 times or MPH.
IMO stock for stock pit a GEN IV and GEN V against each other and it would be a drivers race.

Until I start seeing several 10 sec slips and high 120s out of stock GEN Vs starting to think the GEN IV was severely underrated.

Sure the V has everything going for it.. "640/600" 3.55s, aluminum flywheel, launch control, revised intake, exhaust, carbon fiber etc.

I was a believer the V would be a 10 sec 129/130 mph car all day long, but haven't seen it yet..

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It is slowest at the top end, drag really starts affecting the car above 150 mph, this is why downforce for ACR is given at 150 mph. On the track, you will not come close to speeds where you notice the difference.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No contest the Gen V will win. I start feeling aero drag around 80 mph in my ACR, the down force starts working way before 150 mph.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Screw all this, I want to see a Gen 1 vs Gen 5!! That would be like beating up your grandpa. :omg:

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is still a drivers race. Theoretically a Gen 5 should be a couple 10ths quicker, but with a good launch I think a Gen 4 might win.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ACR produces twice as much downforce as the stock coupe as low as 65mph.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No contest the Gen V will win. I start feeling aero drag around 80 mph in my ACR, the down force starts working way before 150 mph.
Do not bet on anything, Gen 5 made some improvements on tire related lift but downforce generation still belongs to ACR, unless you equip Gen 5 with similar set up. Just because drag and downforce are there, this does not mean they are the dominant factors since there is body and tire lift to consider.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ACR produces twice as much downforce as the stock coupe as low as 65mph.
How did you come up with these numbers? At 150, ACR generates about ten times as much downforce as base car, where are the numbers for the lower speeds coming from? Are we talking about NET downforce after subtracting the lift?

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did you come up with these numbers? At 150, ACR generates about ten times as much downforce as base car, where are the numbers for the lower speeds coming from? Are we talking about NET downforce after subtracting the lift?

I came up with those numbers that at around ~65mph the ACR is producing ~200 pounds of downforce, and the numbers I have seen in the past is the coupe produces ~100 pounds.

@~120mph the ACR is producing anywhere from ~600 to ~700 pounds of downforce depending on the position of the rear wing.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Aerodynamics start coming into play as low as 40mph, this is why manufacturers work on improving the Cd on everyday road cars as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I came up with those numbers at around ~65mph the ACR is producing ~200 pounds of downforce, and the numbers I have seen in the past is the coupe produces ~100 pounds.

@~120mph the ACR is producing anywhere from ~600 to ~700 pounds of downforce depending on the position of the rear wing.
The numbers I see mention base car producing 100 at 150 actually.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aerodynamics start coming into play as low as 40mph, this is why manufacturers work on improving the Cd on everyday road cars as well.

You must be registered for see images attach
Where is this graph from? This graph looks very misleading, is it from a Chrysler sales brochure?

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The numbers I see mention base car producing 100 at 150 actually.

That was my point, at 65mph the ACR is producing 2x the downforce as the coupe at speed.

Attachments

• ACR.JPG
    ACR.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 68

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was my point, at 65mph the ACR is producing 2x the downforce as the coupe at speed.
What matters is the difference between the downforce and liftforce, I hate to see Chrysler claiming numbers based on "typical sports car" lift being used to make any claims. Is this another graph from a sales brochure? I hope you realize how meaningless this graph really is...

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Composites World (magazine)

http://www.compositesworld.com/articles/composite-wing-key-to-high-speed-stability

A
ttribution is Chrysler, but likely from SRT group themselves. Why would you say it looks misleading? Most car designs produce lift at speed unless they have a lot of aero tweaks.
I get very suspicious when "typical" values are used for comparisons. I am not trying to start any argument so I am going to bail out. Sorry for any disruption, I think it is better if I just keep building my own stuff instead of arguing about designs of others:D

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get very suspicious when "typical" values are used for comparisons. I am not trying to start any argument so I am going to bail out. Sorry for any disruption, I think it is better if I just keep building my own stuff instead of arguing about designs of others:D

Comparison to what? Both graphs were used in this thread to serve the purpose of showing the downforce of the ACR in relation to speed. Ignore the bottom yellow line if it bothers you so much.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62