2010 Viper Details - LIVE from Laguna Seca!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was absolutely 100% Bone-Stock 2010. No exhaust tweaks....stock PCM...Stock Sport Cups.

Read my question again. I was not suggesting that it was not stock. I asked whether they "tweaked" a/k/a "improved" the exhaust for the 2010 model year. The car sounds a bit meaner.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Read my question again. I was not suggesting that it was not stock. I asked whether they "tweaked" a/k/a "improved" the exhaust for the 2010 model year. The car sounds a bit meaner.

OOOPS...... None of the Dodge releases mentioned it, and they were mentioning every nuance. And IF they had changed the exhaust, it would at least require re-cert of Fed pass-by sound requirements and maybe even emissions. So my bet is 99.% a carry-over 09 system, esp since they did not mention it.

Laguna Seca has great acoustics......the pits are down in a bowl, with lots of concrete and hills surrounding to reflect and focus the sound back. You can hear a hot-lap car and know WHERE it is even when you cant see it....you can hear splitters scrape as the Corkscrew is negotiated, and rumble-strip curbs growl as the cars exit wide. All sound funnels down to the pits...great accoustics, esp with just 1-2 cars on track. Those V-10s SING. UPS Truck? BALONEY!

Last edited:

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can the new 5th gear be added to a 2008 Viper? It would be great to have shorter gearing there!

Anyone know about this?

Also, it would be great to know the difference between this gear change and the overall 3:55 gear swap.

Thanks!

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know about this?

Also, it would be great to know the difference between this gear change and the overall 3:55 gear swap.

Thanks!

There's no reason it couldn't be done. All they did was swap out the 5th gearset. In my opinion, it's a great improvement - and I wish they had also lowered the 6th gear while they were at it. But I guess they needed to keep that one for EPA reasons... If I ever get my tranny rebuilt, I'm going to see if I can swap out both 5th and 6th gears for better ratios.

If you went with a lower rear-end gear, then you're effectively lowering all the gears. That may or may not be what you want. As far as relative gear change, the fifth gear change lowers the gear ratio by about 8% for that gear. The 3.55 rear end lowers all the gear ratios by about 15%.

Personally, I like gears 1 through 4 just fine as they are.

joedud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Port Orange, FL (just below Daytona Beach)
You must be registered for see images attach
I am not sure, but this MIGHT be Toxic Orange....it has a lot of metallic in it, so it changes color as light and viewing angle changes. Kinda Copperheady, more orangy. [This photo was found on one of the press blogs of the Laguna event]

Jon,

I think that is a stock picture of a 2008 Venom Red Viper with Razor wheels. Another shot of it is here:

2008 Dodge Viper Review – Edmunds.com

The metallic paint changes dramatically under lighting conditions.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's no reason it couldn't be done. All they did was swap out the 5th gearset. In my opinion, it's a great improvement - and I wish they had also lowered the 6th gear while they were at it. But I guess they needed to keep that one for EPA reasons... If I ever get my tranny rebuilt, I'm going to see if I can swap out both 5th and 6th gears for better ratios.

If you went with a lower rear-end gear, then you're effectively lowering all the gears. That may or may not be what you want. As far as relative gear change, the fifth gear change lowers the gear ratio by about 8% for that gear. The 3.55 rear end lowers all the gear ratios by about 15%.

Personally, I like gears 1 through 4 just fine as they are.

Thanks Martin! I am with you--I like 1-4, and would love to shorten 5th and 6th on my '08. Hopefully Jon and Mark and others will keep us posted on various alternatives!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The blog photo on my computer looked orangey-copper. I am very familiar w/ Venom Red as linked above. In any case, we will all know by end of next week..... LA Auto Show.....

Mr. Gilles said that Dodge 'chose LA for the debut for the 2010 models due to Calif being a key market for Vipers'

So there ya go, Maurice, Jerry, and Dan...... you did your brand proud.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now they should go for a track record in Florida. There are a few road courses available. Florida is also a key market for Vipers.

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Now they should go for a track record in Florida. There are a few road courses available. Florida is also a key market for Vipers.

Viper clinched the FIA-Manufacturer's World Championship at Sebring in 1997. It was a Chrysler 1st, and a US Mfr first since 1956.

Viper clinched the Rolex 24 OVERALL win at Daytona in 2000....from the GT class. To beat all the LMP cars was/is unheard-of !

I hope/wish SRT could fill a trailer and make a Daytona-Sebring long week of testing and record breaking... Ill be happy to make more "Track Record Decals"

Imagine: Nurburgring, Laguna-Seca, Sebring, and Daytona records!. 2 on endplates, 2 beside license plate? Or ??? Where-oh-where to have FOUR record decals? {SRT sez 'buy another ACR' of course...}

Maybe VCA could hold a memorabilia or other sponsored-products auction, not to fund itself, but to help SRT fund these record attempts?? I would certainly step up to help develop sponsors for such a record-breaking auction. This is off-season for both tracks...ROAD TRIP !?!?!

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe VCA could hold a memorabilia or other sponsored-products auction, not to fund itself, but to help SRT fund these record attempts?? I would certainly step up to help develop sponsors for such a record-breaking auction. This is off-season for both tracks...ROAD TRIP !?!?!
Actually, the VCA helped sponsor Nürburgring and was asked to be financially involved with Laguna Seca as well. We have already committed the funds and suspect you will see the results in the not-too-distant future.

Rest assured we have the money and the desire to help SRT break records at as many significant tracks as they like! :2tu:

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The engineers stated that the sculpted endplates and the new gurney-flap on the 2010 wing are wind-tunnel tested to improve top end, and yaw-control at high speed. And it seems the endplates WILL interchange to the 08-09 ACR, [but you wont have the gurney-edge on those wings.]
Frankly, only on very few tracks will you find top end to be a factor...I would only use 5th gear on but a few select tracks. I am curious what times were posted by the Voodoo on that date. I have never driven this track, but it obviously has a very fast and long straight so it might have helped.

I think its a wise choice to set records on an American track, as most ppl don't even know where the 'Ring is located or the significance of it. As for the Ring, the record is now 6:48 I believe, which is probably out of reach (I am sad to say). I think Chris should tackle as many American track records as he can. Why not?

Last edited:

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boxer12: Quote: "As for the Ring, the record is now 6:48 I believe," When and in what car was this record achieved????

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper clinched the FIA-Manufacturer's World Championship at Sebring in 1997. It was a Chrysler 1st, and a US Mfr first since 1956.

Viper clinched the Rolex 24 OVERALL win at Daytona in 2000....from the GT class. To beat all the LMP cars was/is unheard-of !

I hope/wish SRT could fill a trailer and make a Daytona-Sebring long week of testing and record breaking... Ill be happy to make more "Track Record Decals"

Imagine: Nurburgring, Laguna-Seca, Sebring, and Daytona records!. 2 on endplates, 2 beside license plate? Or ??? Where-oh-where to have FOUR record decals? {SRT sez 'buy another ACR' of course...}

Don't forget Homestead and the new, reconfigured track at what used to be called Moroso.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boxer12: Quote: "As for the Ring, the record is now 6:48 I believe," When and in what car was this record achieved????

Here's your top three "production" vehicle times according to Wiki. The ACR is #4. I think the term "production" is being used a bit loosely in the description of the top three. Apparently there's only one Apollo in the U.S. and it's being offered at a mere $579,000.00. :confused: That's one butt ugly car.

Radical SR8LM
6:48
8-19-09
You must be registered for see images

Radical SR8
6:55
9-28-05

Gumpert Apollo
7:11.5
8-13-09

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I renewed my membership after reading we (VCA) were helping pay for these track events with/for SRT. I hope it helps the car make it around to different tracks and own all records. GET THE NEW ACR BACK TO THE RING!! (and FL, lol)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
.........I am curious what times were posted by the Voodoo on that date. I have never driven this track, but it obviously has a very fast and long straight so it might have helped.

I think its a wise choice to set records on an American track, as most ppl don't even know where the 'Ring is located or the significance of it. ..........I think Chris [Winkler] should tackle as many American track records as he can. Why not?

I renewed my membership after reading we (VCA) were helping pay for these track events with/for SRT. I hope it helps the car make it around to different tracks and own all records. GET THE NEW ACR BACK TO THE RING!! (and FL.........)

GREAT !! Maybe VCA can add a "Record Breaker" member level, and members could add a voluntary $25-$50 for a "Record Setter" Avatar and ID card. Fund SRT the $$.

I agree 100% on adding USA records. I think it is very exciting, and several owners have already asked for the Laguna Seca Record decal [in production] to augment their Nurburgring decal. "ACR and Viper Pride" is very high right now!

Its one good thing to respond with support when asked. The 'Ring Sponsorship was well publicised and well-planned. Bravo. Im suggesting we also be pro-active and offer SRT some $$ as a financial offset beyond Laguna [as if they needed motivation?!?!] Very happy to hear VCA has $$$$$$ without needing sponsor offers to help.
-------------
The 2010 Voodoo is a pristine show car on its way to LA Show 12/4 with some other new snakes, including the 1:33 Edition; It did NOT have a setup shakedown as did the 1:33 car. It only did some photo-op laps, at a very respectable [and hand-held] 1:39.9. Chris Winkler was NOT the driver......

Last edited:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GREAT !! Maybe VCA can add a "Record Breaker" member level, and members could add a voluntary $25-$50 for a "Record Setter" Avatar and ID card. Fund SRT the $$.

Great idea Jon. I am in if same is done.

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great idea Jon. I am in if same is done.
+1 I'd like to see them get the Daytona and Sebring records, then take the new ACR back to the Ring! Whether this winds up being the end or not, I want to see the Gen 4 go out in a blaze of glory!

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its one good thing to respond with support when asked. The 'Ring Sponsorship was well publicised and well-planned. Bravo. Im suggesting we also be pro-active and offer SRT some $$ as a financial offset beyond Laguna [as if they needed motivation?!?!] Very happy to hear VCA has $$$$$$ without needing sponsor offers to help.
We have long offered to help in any way that we can, including financially, for things like this. The challenge is that they are often super-secret, as Nürburgring obviously was and Laguna Seca was supposed to have been: When Dodge forgot to tell Laguna Seca NOT to put it on their published event calendar it got quickly out of control. While the VCA had the honor of knowing of the record attempt some time ago (there should be some VCA logos around there somewhere), we are always sworn to complete secrecy, lest the record not fall due to weather, etc. Imagine what a bust it would have been if thousands of people were watching it unfold only to have weather, a tire blowout, or some other unforeseen problem arise. That publicity can very quickly go south if you aren't careful.

We have an open offer to help with any event involving the Viper and SRT, whether it be a record attempt at a major track or the soon-to-be-announced VOI 11. We are in this for the long haul! :2tu:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have long offered to help in any way that we can, including financially, for things like this. The challenge is that they are often super-secret, as Nürburgring obviously was and Laguna Seca was supposed to have been: When Dodge forgot to tell Laguna Seca NOT to put it on their published event calendar it got quickly out of control. While the VCA had the honor of knowing of the record attempt some time ago (there should be some VCA logos around there somewhere), we are always sworn to complete secrecy, lest the record not fall due to weather, etc. Imagine what a bust it would have been if thousands of people were watching it unfold only to have weather, a tire blowout, or some other unforeseen problem arise. That publicity can very quickly go south if you aren't careful.

We have an open offer to help with any event involving the Viper and SRT, whether it be a record attempt at a major track or the soon-to-be-announced VOI 11. We are in this for the long haul! :2tu:

Great to read the above and thank you for your continuing efforts on behalf of the Viper Nation but why not take advantage of Jon's idea anyway to raise more money? The idea is simple and unless someone can point out why it does not make sense, it seems like a natural thing to do to support what we all know is a streetable track car. In fact, it seems to me that we do not have to wait for Dodge to decide to set additional records. The VCA could raise the money, use a member's car and have one of our best track rats drive it. We could probably do it on the cheap if we did it in connection with Hooked On Driving or another track event sponsor. Seems like a no brainer thing to do.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is great to hear of the continued planned support. Although I must say, if they (SRT) come to a track near me I would wanna go to watch and show my support. I think a lot of other members here would do the same thing. There's gotta be a way of giving the VCA members a heads up.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Please define soon-to-be-announced :)

So... speaking about record attempts, I guess the VCA has already hinted Chrysler at sending the Laguna Seca edition over to the Nürnburgring and see if the changes bring the desired results during a properly prepared track day with ample opportunity to dial in suspension and aero?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32