2014 Corvette

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
first my first choice is the viper. I do really like the new vette. the graphite color looks great but as most know that is my favorite
color. some of the pics from the rear i really like. the pic i like best of the rear is from the top showing the glass and how the body
flares on the top. for 50k what a deal. with all this being said the one thing it does not have is a v10 and that to me is what makes the viper much more of a true sports car. thank you ralph for not putting a v8 sc in the new viper. viper interior much better then the vette. also the cheap looking body lines of the rear of the vette ****, meaning how the panes line up with the gaps. however for 50k you get a big bang for the buck. for those who cant afford a new viper this is a nice second choice. cool car for more then half the price. a problem for viper will be when the new z07 and zr1 come out. chevy really did their homework, give them credit on that one. the viper acr needs to step it up big time in my opinion.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the Bugatti......it may be smaller but it sure takes a big chunk of money to buy one......poor people like me can only dream and drool over cars of such value......but GOD has been good and I am blessed.....HAPPY VIPERING everyone! :beer::

OTE=ViperSmith;3145748]Amazing how small the Bugatti looks next to it, crazy.[/QUOTE]

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some new pics...
You must be registered for see images attach

That does look pretty sweet. Too bad every Tom, dick, and Harry will have one...

I love the fact that the Viper went back to the Gen II body style. Looks absolutely amazing

OP
OP
A

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just came to the conclusion the Veryon is one ugly car thanks to those pics.

HobokenViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the incredible luck & good fortune to get to drive a Veyron a few laps around Monticello racetrack several years ago. It was on a day that Bugatti was marketing their cars to a few targeted potential buyers, and a good friend of mine who is the owner of one of the finest car collections in the country brought me along with him for the day as he was among those few people invited by Bugatti. The car is beyond capable and is stupidly fast, so fast that the mere acceleration and G's on the turns gave me whiplash for the next 2 weeks. But is it an attractive car? That's very subjective. I think it looks like a fat ladybug and don't find it to be the prettiest thing to look at. That, and an oil change that costs $80k and $20k per tire makes it look even worse to me. You have to be worth close to $100 million to own one of these cars and even if I had that kind of cash, I don't think I would ever buy one.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is this pic real? Haven't seen a vert yet. It is a shame in a way that this cool of a car is going to be owned by soccer Moms.

I don't mean that to sound like a Dbag, just that this win of a design will ultimately be watered down by sheer number of them running around as grocery getters. Of course til then, I'm really diggin this car, and I don't like Vettes. Amazing.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more I look at the rear the more I hate it!!!

Last edited:

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was asking myself ....If this was the new Viper, would I be happy with the design? NO. But its ok if the soccer mom next door has a new Vette...its hot enough to make her a bit more attractive! Better than the Volvo SUV she is driving! My neighbor when I was a kid bought a 69 Stingray...she still wasn't fantasy material, but I thought it was pretty cool when her daughter got her driver's license and was driving it around when all the early 70's junk was out on the streets. ;)

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best thing SRT can do is hold the car back to make sure it is as perfect as it can be. There is no shame in admitting that there are challenges and honestly, as a potential buyer of a new model I would want to know what the engineers were up against, how they fixed the issue, tricks they learned on the line, etc. This is the kind of bench racing talk that people bring up 40 years later when discussing amazing cars, etc. Sending out a subpar product knowing it is going to fail is like having ******....you're stuck with it for life. (just ask Ford how their 6.0 Powerstroke motors worked out and how it still haunts them today).

As much as I think the styling on the new Vette is pretty damn impressive, in typical GM fashion they will screw something major up. I would wait at least a year before buying a new C7. With cylinder deactivation and direct injection....the motor is going to have challenges. Nothing that GM has come out with as new is ever close to perfect. Examples are the 700R transmission, Vortec intake gaskets, Z06 brake hoses, Z06 motors, GM truck brakes, Duramax injectors, front independent suspension problems on the first 4x4 GM trucks and SUVs, etc. Best GM car to buy is the last production year of a specific model. By then they have most of the kinks worked out and you'll end up with a pretty decent vehicle.

Cheers,
George

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at the Detroit Auto Show last weekend. Got to see the new Vette up close and personal. It is a pretty nice car. While it is not the styling I like, it certaintly had some pop to it. It is a complete departure from previous editions, so it will take a while to gain a following. Like the Gen III Viper is is all sharp angles, mixed with curves.

You could see where they cut corners in styling, and the engineering for the aluminum chassis is cause for crash repairs, however it certaintly looks like a modern sports car.

Biggest issue is with integration of the front, top, side, and especially rear stylings. While each looks OK on their own, they do not blend well with each other. Every view makes it look like a different car.

Good bang for the buck car, but in no way does it stand up to the new Viper.

New Viper seems to have become more of a hero car. With the new Vette you will need to explain to everybody why you bought the funny looking car.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So after seeing the C7 and GenV in person on the same day can you say without hesitation that they are in two different classes in base form ? How do the stock tires look on the C7 compared to the GenV ? I'm sure the C7 was in the spotlight being just unveiled but was the GenV still drawing attention ?

I was at the Detroit Auto Show last weekend. Got to see the new Vette up close and personal. It is a pretty nice car. While it is not the styling I like, it certaintly had some pop to it. It is a complete departure from previous editions, so it will take a while to gain a following. Like the Gen III Viper is is all sharp angles, mixed with curves.

You could see where they cut corners in styling, and the engineering for the aluminum chassis is cause for crash repairs, however it certaintly looks like a modern sports car.

Biggest issue is with integration of the front, top, side, and especially rear stylings. While each looks OK on their own, they do not blend well with each other. Every view makes it look like a different car.

Good bang for the buck car, but in no way does it stand up to the new Viper.

New Viper seems to have become more of a hero car. With the new Vette you will need to explain to everybody why you bought the funny looking car.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score

OP
OP
A

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not a fan of those 2 lower "fangs" on the front bumper cover. They are too thick and not wide enough. They just dont look right IMO

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So after seeing the C7 and GenV in person on the same day can you say without hesitation that they are in two different classes in base form ? How do the stock tires look on the C7 compared to the GenV ? I'm sure the C7 was in the spotlight being just unveiled but was the GenV still drawing attention ?

Yes, Viper is the far better developed styling, interior and performance car. Most that buy the Vette will be constantly telling everybody how much money they saved over the Viper. The driving experience with the Vette will be far different that with the Viper. The Viper will dominate this Vette.

F

FrgMstr

Yes, Viper is the far better developed styling, interior and performance car. Most that buy the Vette will be constantly telling everybody how much money they saved over the Viper. The driving experience with the Vette will be far different that with the Viper. The Viper will dominate this Vette.

Styling developed on a throwback design? Will have to disagree with you there.

Interior? Would have to argue with you there as well.

Performance over a base level car costing $50K less? You think?

I love my Gen IV car, but if the Vette Vert is as good looking as the rendering......and there is a performance model. I would not buy the base model car as I want performance.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the end of the day a base GenV can be had for $10k less than a C6 ZR1 sticker prices. The C7 ZR1 will likely cost as much or more as the C6 ZR1. That's the comparison we should be making and at this point chevy doesn't even have a horse in that race. So fast forward to when the 640hp+ C7 comes out and SRT will probably have an ACR to combat that. I think the C7 is pretty slick but the more I look at it the more Gimmicky it starts looking. I love my GTS and to me the GenV gives you everything that's great about a GenII GTS and combines it with state of the art technology and quality in a car that is hand made and has the perfect blend of classic Cobra Daytona styling with a modern edge built with a unique V10 monster motor configuration in limited numbers at a reasonable price for a true exotic. What most folks are having a tough time with is the shoot outs between the C6 ZR1 and the GenV but keep in mind that a 2013 ZR1 is much quicker that a 2009 ZR1 because the ZR1 has years of refinement behind it that the GenV doesn't have yet.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Jay Leno video was really good. I mean, its all stuff we've seen before. The NAV screen was cool in that it looks totally integrated, but then it drops down into the dash to plug in your music devices BEHIND it, and then comes up to cover it. Slick.

I like the new GenV and C7 because they have DIVERGED a lot more in styling. Some are comparing the headlights and grill, but that's about it. The Gen III-IV and C6 look MUCH more identical in many more respects. I've seen old comparos in magazines where I initially mistook one for the other. There is no mistaking the new ones, which is good.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most that buy the Vette will be constantly telling everybody how much money they saved over the Viper.

I don't know if that's true. I mean, I've never heard a Vette owner EVER say that. Why would they. Most Vette owners aren't aspirational Viper owners. They are Vette owners who like Vettes.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read the R&T feature article on it last night and was impressed with the car's description. You have to credit GM for trying to evoke desire from drivers who still have hair that is not gray, and at a reasonable price point (H-D should take note). I wouldn't criticize it too much because you or I don't necessarily realize or understand what is attractive to the target age group for this Vette. For a mass offering, this strategy has to run its course. American success like this is always a good thing.

F

FrgMstr

The Jay Leno video was really good. I mean, its all stuff we've seen before. The NAV screen was cool in that it looks totally integrated, but then it drops down into the dash to plug in your music devices BEHIND it, and then comes up to cover it. Slick.

I like the new GenV and C7 because they have DIVERGED a lot more in styling. Some are comparing the headlights and grill, but that's about it. The Gen III-IV and C6 look MUCH more identical in many more respects. I've seen old comparos in magazines where I initially mistook one for the other. There is no mistaking the new ones, which is good.

One thing that really got my attention was Jay saying the C7 interior is "world class." That is not a little comment from a guy that experiences every new car interior in the world. And yes, the Nav screen hidey hole is awesome. HUD on the base model is awesome.

That is also the first time I have seen pics/video of the red car that did not look off to me. Maybe it has been the harsh lighting we have seen it in. The darker colors have been much more appealing to me; ironically the opposite of what I think looks good on the Gen III/IV Viper. The design is defined and unique moving forward instead of backward like SRT has done. No one will be asking you if that Corvette is a Viper or the other way around.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The design is defined and unique moving forward instead of backward like SRT has done.

Moving "backward" a little brought us the Ford GT, 662hp GT500, Boss302 LS, 392 Chally and the ZL1 and now a modernized rendition of the legendary GenII Viper GTS with the GenV. I haven't seen the C7 in person yet but I can say that the GenV looks just incredible so I can't wait to see both together up close.

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was watching a your tube video on the new vette and they had the clay mock-up without any color on it did any notice the roof line resemblance to the Rambler Marlin? or even the 1966 Charger?

F

FrgMstr

Moving "backward" a little brought us the Ford GT, 662hp GT500, Boss302 LS, 392 Chally and the ZL1 and now a modernized rendition of the legendary GenII Viper GTS with the GenV. I haven't seen the C7 in person yet but I can say that the GenV looks just incredible so I can't wait to see both together up close.

Good call, but those were throwbacks to classic designs that were many decades old, and with that said I have to feel as the thowback design category has run its course. Yes, it was cool...was cool. SRT did not follow the successful equation on the throwback design, they threw back to a design that is less than 20 years old, not a classic from the 60s. I think the Gen V is not as defining as it should be for SRT. Dodge had to make strides forward due to federal regulators and SRT should have used this for a jump off point to a new design in my opinion. It should have been a new SRT, not a Dodge with the nameplate changed.

I know there are a lot of brand and badge loyalists around this forum. I vote with my wallet looking at the entire market and what I think is best for me. I LOVE my Viper. I am turning wrenches on it right now doing some upgrades. I bought my second one because I loved the first and its raw attitude and performance levels. I have a feeling though it will be sold a few years down the road for a Z06 or ZR1 C7 though. (I never buy a car in its first year, and never buy one new.....let the other guys deal with those issues and depreciation.)

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding argumentative:D The GenV and GenII GTS have early 60's Shelby Daytona Coupe DNA in the same way that the Gen1 has AC Cobra DNA. In 2003 when Dodge moved away from the 'throwback" design the car seemed far less remarkable to the automotive press and general public despite being more advanced.

Good call, but those were throwbacks to classic designs that were many decades old, and with that said I have to feel as the thowback design category has run its course. Yes, it was cool...was cool. SRT did not follow the successful equation on the throwback design, they threw back to a design that is less than 20 years old, not a classic from the 60s. I think the Gen V is not as defining as it should be for SRT. Dodge had to make strides forward due to federal regulators and SRT should have used this for a jump off point to a new design in my opinion. It should have been a new SRT, not a Dodge with the nameplate changed.

I know there are a lot of brand and badge loyalists around this forum. I vote with my wallet looking at the entire market and what I think is best for me. I LOVE my Viper. I am turning wrenches on it right now doing some upgrades. I bought my second one because I loved the first and its raw attitude and performance levels. I have a feeling though it will be sold a few years down the road for a Z06 or ZR1 C7 though. (I never buy a car in its first year, and never buy one new.....let the other guys deal with those issues and depreciation.)

F

FrgMstr

In 2003 when Dodge moved away from the 'throwback" design the car seemed far less remarkable to the automotive press and general public despite being more advanced.

Seems that Chevrolet is not having a problem moving forward with design in terms of general public or press. Maybe SRT needs to take a long hard look at its team being stuck in the past.