2014 Corvette

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an equation for what makes a car look great to me.

It is too hard to judge if a car "looks" right in pictures or a video. You have to see it in person. Both the new Viper and Vette look pretty damn good. Who knows if the front end of the Viper or the rear of the Vette really works until you get to see it from various angles, from different distances and in changing lighting conditions. I'm more partial to the Gen 5 "look" but really won't be able to tell which I prefer until I can plug the car into the following equation:

Take the car and park it way out in a big parking lot, like the local mall, big box store etc. Go do your shopping. Walk out of the store towards the car. If the car makes you smile and you can admire it constantly as you approach it, this is good. If approaching it from different angles, you notice something new each time and like it, this is good. If the car does this to you every time you approach it from a distance, then it's a keeper.

Sometimes a car is like an arranged marriage, you don't realize how much you like something until you've had a little time to admire it in person.

Out of the 11 cars I own, only two do this for me....my Gen 4 and my H1 Hummer wagon.

Cheers,
George

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One thing that really got my attention was Jay saying the C7 interior is "world class." That is not a little comment from a guy that experiences every new car interior in the world. And yes, the Nav screen hidey hole is awesome. HUD on the base model is awesome.

You have to take what Jay says with a grain of salt though. He really started pushing vettes when GM started paying him. I do love that NAV screen glove compartment though. Very cool and nice use of space. I'm curious to see what sort of really cool things people do with it in the aftermarket. Lots of potential there.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to take what Jay says with a grain of salt though. He really started pushing vettes when GM started paying him.

He really only says nice things about EVERY car he talks about. I've never seen him say a bad thing. But that's ok, you know what to expect, and he provides some interesting and sometimes funny commentary.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They should of kept it closer to the concept seen in the Transformers movie. That was a sharp looking original vehicle.

It was pretty awesome but in person, it wasn't quite the same. The rear in particular seemed too cosmetic and not functional which was may more apparent looking at the car when it's right there in front of you than when it is totally lit with a crazy camera angle and a full color pass in post done to it. Bay will make almost any car look amazing the way he shoots.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He really only says nice things about EVERY car he talks about. I've never seen him say a bad thing. But that's ok, you know what to expect, and he provides some interesting and sometimes funny commentary.

Which is why, his show is entertainment only - cool way to see cars. He'll love the Viper when it is on. I've never seen him talk negative about a vehicle.

I'll give it to him though, he does drive his cars and that is admirable.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Latest Car and Driver quote from chief engineer Tadge Juechter:

"We also have AFM [active fuel management, or cylinder deactivation] even with the manual, which no one else is doing."

"You can be far more aggressive on cylinder deactivation when you've got a torque converter..."

IWishIHadaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to take what Jay says with a grain of salt though. He really started pushing vettes when GM started paying him. I do love that NAV screen glove compartment though. Very cool and nice use of space. I'm curious to see what sort of really cool things people do with it in the aftermarket. Lots of potential there.

Do you REALLY think that Jay Leno cares about money that Chevrolet may or may not be paying him?

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you REALLY think that Jay Leno cares about money that Chevrolet may or may not be paying him?

You can never have enough money it seems. Even when he left the Tonight Show, he managed to push his way back in, unnecessarily. He didn't need the money, but I bet Conan could have used it.

HobokenViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. Jay Leno is a car guy, meaning he appreciates all cars for what they are and what they are good at as well as their flaws. The guy has boatloads of money and I highly doubt he would say something positive in a review that wasn't true just because the manufacturer slipped him some Benjamins.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea, but there is no way we can't all at least agree that the fit and finish, materials, craftsmanship, and design of the C7's interior is much better than the outgoing model. Same holds true for the Viper.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think Jay is doing anything for money. The simple fact is, you watch all his videos and he rarely says a single negative thing.

I think he simply wouldn't review a car he didn't like - period.

F

FrgMstr

It really makes for a great camera angle wedged up on the rock like that. Don't think I have seen the car shot like that. Hehe.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score

When GM started supporting him, he immediately started giving GM shout outs all over the place, using their parts for a lot of his custom builds, always bringing up corvettes. Yes, he absolutely cares.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I said in another thread - I saw the C7 today

It inspired absolutely no emotion in me at all. It just looked boring.

If you see Viper in it, you are insane.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just cut and pasted this from Corvette Forum about the Toronto auto show...

"BTW, since you may be a Dodge guy, I also saw the new Viper, it looks absolutey amazing, looks nothing like the C7 . C7 looks like a wedge compared to the Viper."

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well thats a dumb place to park! :omg:

;)

I just cut and pasted this from Corvette Forum about the Toronto auto show...

"BTW, since you may be a Dodge guy, I also saw the new Viper, it looks absolutey amazing, looks nothing like the C7 . C7 looks like a wedge compared to the Viper."

Yeah, I saw the vette in Toronto. They have some areas that look decent, others are down right ugly.

Thanks for posting the copy paste.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I messaged Mark Reuss last night about the C7, asked if it will be on the show floor for the public to get a close look at during NYIAS and he said yes, so while I might have missed the Viper unveil last year I got to see them at VOI. When NYIAS comes around I'll finally be able to have final judgement on which I like more.

--RS