201MPH

pauljkopick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How much road do you think you would need to have to slow down comfortable say to 70-80MPH after attaining the above MPH. :usa: :usa: :cool:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The amount of road needed to slow down from 201 to 70 MPH, or the amount of road needed to get to 201 and then back down to 70 MPH?

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
depends on the HP and Brakes

stock Gen3 10 miles of strait flat road would be pretty safe, getting from 150-190 takes awile, and 190-201 takes even longer. dont take my word for it and die tho, try it out 1st.

had a similar run in my 02 vette and it took forever and 3 days to get from 120 to 198 when i ran out of road, but thats a vette :D

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I get to 190mph from 70mph in 7/10ths of a mile and slow down to 70-80mph in about half that distance or less.

roofum

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The amount of road needed to slow down from 201 to 70 MPH, or the amount of road needed to get to 201 and then back down to 70 MPH?
i will always cherish the initial misconceptions i had about you..we're all refreshed and challanged by your unique point of view on this thread . :laugh:

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It really depend on your Power and brakes! :D

Correct, I was assuming he has a Gen3 from his avatar, but then again this is posted in the Gen2 section and all his cars in the sig have been sold. :laugh:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i will always cherish the initial misconceptions i had about you..we're all refreshed and challanged by your unique point of view on this thread . :laugh:

Another FABULOUS and contributory post by roofum. Keep 'em comin' retard... Everyone LOVES your off-topic, smart-@$$ attitude. Here's something to treat your mental diarrhea:

You must be registered for see images

roofum

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Another FABULOUS and contributory post by roofum. Keep 'em comin' retard... Everyone LOVES your off-topic, smart-@$$ attitude. Here's something to treat your mental diarrhea:

You must be registered for see images
i really dont know what your problem is butt i'll bet its hard to pronounce

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To respond to the initial post: To bleed off 131 MPH of speed, assuming a constant deceleration rate, and let's say you give yourself 30 seconds to do it, you'd need 5764 feet, or 1.091 miles to slow down from 201 to 70. If you double your deceleration rate and do it in just 15 seconds, you'd need 2882 feet, or .545 miles.

Assuming of course I did the math right. ;)

roofum

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To respond to the initial post: To bleed off 131 MPH of speed, assuming a constant deceleration rate, and let's say you give yourself 30 seconds to do it, you'd need 5764 feet, or 1.091 miles to slow down from 201 to 70. If you double your deceleration rate and do it in just 15 seconds, you'd need 2882 feet, or .545 miles.

once again you have an answer for every thing and the solution to nothing. your answer is wrong sparky :cool:

OP
OP
P

pauljkopick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
NoRice your speed & slowing that good,I mean that damn good. Check my signature still a Viper hanging around.
Cody Flordia if, just talk at this point.
Anyone who has done this would like to hear your comments. :usa: :usa:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

once again you have an answer for every thing and the solution to nothing. your answer is wrong sparky :cool:

And once again, you heckle me, yet I haven't even seen you try. Life as an arm-chair idiot must be nice.

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
NoRice your speed & slowing that good,I mean that damn good. Check my signature still a Viper hanging around.
Cody Flordia if, just talk at this point.
Anyone who has done this would like to hear your comments. :usa: :usa:

Sorry didn't see the one at the bottom. :laugh: Well you obvioulsy have some extra power. In my Gen3, I have gone from 70-198mph in 7/10ths of a mile and slowed down to less than 70mph to get off the freeway in less than 1/2 mile at the next exit the last 2 Sundays about 5 times. So if you have decent brakes on your car like the Gen 3 then slowing down isn't an issue. I can say I needed every bit of the 3/8 - 1/2 mile to slow down safely. In fact this past Sunday after hitting 198mph I started to brake and blew my vacuum hose off so I lost all my power brakes. Try slowing from 198mph to 70 or less with no brakes practically! Scary stuff. I almost didn't make it in time as I had to change lanes and get into the shoulder to get slowed in time.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3.5mi sharp empty hwy with a SC Viper and you only keep at 200mph for 4-6 seconds.

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a relatively stock car I can only imgine. In a nice TT car with some stoptechs it wouldn't take much at all. 80-210 in 10ish seconds, and back down to legal speed in probably about the same. But thats no fun, drop it in 6th and cruise at 200 for a while (requires 750ish rwhp to pull that one off though)

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And doing 198mph on a freeway has always been safe place to test this theory. I like going fast just like the next person but 198mph on a public road is pure insanity.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly how stable are our cars at that speed? Not that my Viper could currently make it that fast, but if it could....Window problems?

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Honestly how stable are our cars at that speed? Not that my Viper could currently make it that fast, but if it could....Window problems?

My car is very stable at this speed. I drive with the top down and windows down and just turn my hat backwards and no problems. I have my car lowered on Aldans with a 4 corner balance and it drives straight with no problems. Before this car the fastest I had been was 130mph in my 2000 C5 and was scared at that speed in that car. In this car, its like driving 100mph at 198mph :)

Obviously don't attempt this if you are not sure of your car or your abilities to drive at this speed and never attempt this on public roads. :2tu:

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And doing 198mph on a freeway has always been safe place to test this theory. I like going fast just like the next person but 198mph on a public road is pure insanity.

Thank you for your opinion, I will be sure to file it in the approriate place. :rolleyes:

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't speak for total distance to accelerate and decelerate, though I can give you a ballpark. Bear in mind this is coming from a C5 reference also, not Viper. In that car it got to 150 readily (was at 155 when I decided to "go for it"), didn't go TOO slowly to the 170 range, but definitely seemed to crawl the rest of the way to what was in this case a top of 191 mph.

Setting: I suggest late night / early morning when there is no traffic out and find the widest longest and straightest stretch you can, like a three-lane Interstate. Make sure you KNOW that stretch also, where it dips, that the bends are very GRADUAL etc. Because they are NOT gradual near 200 mph.

If possible, set yourself up as I did to already be cruising pretty fast and then accelerate with a slight downhill advantage. For instance, 155 to 180 was a downhill area, the rest was flat and gradual uphill.

Also choose an area with plenty of space for you to A) let the car slow down without too much braking, or B) be able to KEEP GOING at a high clip in case you run foul of Johnny Law.

Key points:
1 - Endanger only yourself, choose a time and location with no other cars or houses near the road.

2 - Check the car, make sure the tires are matched, fluids are good. Can't hurt!

3 - Check your sack.

4 - Decide whether you want to set up a video recorder to get the MPH from the gauges. If you get busted, you could get arrested with that kind of evidence. BUT, I'm sure it's a lot easier than taking your eyes off of where your car is GOING to see how fast it is getting there. I sort of did a double-take. Quick glance to locate speedo arm, back to the road, then a directed glance to make sure it was passing the 190 bar.

And just to reiterate. At that speed the bends that you don't notice at 80, you feel like you are PUSHING yourself through when you're as fast as you're suggesting.

Distance estimate... 2 exits or about 4 miles.

It's interesting to say "Yeah, I went *** one time". But uh, I don't think I'll ever do it again. I was probably 23 at the time, young and stupid. Now at 27 I'm already old and boring. YUCK!

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's the Best answer to the original question I've seen. Looks good to me. But I don't do Math only turn wrenches. LOL

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's the Best answer to the original question I've seen. Looks good to me. But I don't do Math only turn wrenches. LOL

Thanks. Like I said, it's a guesstimate which assumes several constants that really would be variables (brake force, friction, etc.), but I think it's close enough to make an educated guess. Here's the math if anyone cares to scrutinize:

Assuming a constant rate of deceleration (i.e. constant brake pressure), the mean speed during the decel is 135.5 MPH ( (201-70)/2 + 70 ). That means that half of the decel period will be spent between 201 and 135.5 and half will be spent between 135.5 and 70.

135.5 MPH mean speed * 5280 ft/mile = 715440 Feet per hour.
715440 FPH / 3600 seconds/hour = 198.73 Feet per second.
198.73 FPS * number of seconds in decel (I used 30 initially) = 5961.9 feet
5961.9 ft / 5280 ft/mile = 1.129 Miles in 30 seconds.

30 seconds is a long time to be braking, the Viper could certainly do it faster. It's easy to play with the numbers from there....just multiply 198.73FPS times the number of seconds you think you can make the transition from 201MPH to 70MPH in, and you'll get a guesstimate of distance in feet.

If you can do it in 10 seconds, then it would only take you 1987 feet, or .376 miles. That's inline with what NoRice said he was able to do it in when he was really honkin' on the brakes. NoRice, how long would you say it took you, timewise to do that braking? Does the math jive with your experience?

I think I used 131 MPH as the mean speed in my earlier post which is why the numbers are a tad different, but still close. And I'm no math guy, but I've slept at a Holiday Inn in the last year. :laugh:

roofum

Enthusiast
Reaction score
try to edit your responses of unnecessary material before attempting to impress us with your insight.The evidence that you are a WIZARD will still be available to us.butt we will be able to access is more rapidly. :nana:

LOVE AND PEACE TO ALL

what time will the turkey be ready .should i can over a day early for our man bonding