3.45 vs. 3.55

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will do gears next. (Sean Roe's exhaust this week!) Gen 1 car. What would be the difference? (3.45 vs 3.55) Track times ect. What are the track time differences 3.45/3.55 vs. 3.07. Unitrax in Ca has both $1200+. Thank you in advance for you opinions! Also what rpm to launch with new gears?

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi David,

I don't think you'll see much of a difference between the two choices you mentioned. However, both are nice upgrades from the stock 3.07 gear and your car will accelerate faster (as long as you have traction
You must be registered for see images
). I don't know about drag race time differences between the two.

For $1200, are you buying a second differential? The gear sets with master installation kits are only about $355 - $375 and you can probably find a local differential shop that can change / set them up.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newport,
A month ago, I put Unitrax's 3.55 gear in my '97. I love it. I agree with Sean, you probably couldn't tell the difference between 3.45 and 3.55 in terms of SOTP, nor will track times vary too much. What I understand from much more experienced drag racers is that unless you're going to be producing huge horsepower numbers (like 600+ rwhp), the 3.55 gear will work just fine. One issue, of course, is avoiding the need to shift out of fourth gear in the 1/4, and for most of us with only minor mods, we'll be fine with the 3.55.

With 3.55 gears, as Sean says, the trick is not to spin. I cannot launch above about 1600 rpm without spinning. The nice thing about the 3.55 is that if I launch at 1500 rpm, whereas I would've bogged previously, I seem to pull pretty hard through the low end. I personally knocked a tenth off my short times with the gear alone (1.9 now, 2.0 previously), and I believe with more practice, I can do better (like 1.8). Also, the difference will hopefully be even more pronounced running my ET streets.

BTW, when you say "track times", I assume you mean 1/4 mile. If you mean road racing lap times, I'd stick with the stock 3.07 gear....You'll still have plenty of torque coming out of corners, and the extra shifts you'll probably need with a 3.45 or 3.55 gear will likely increase your lap times, not decrease them.

SlayTay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had my 3.54 gears all of two days now and love them. Tomorrow is the first track day to see how to get the tires to hook up. I removed the rear end and had a local race car fabricator (Pat Condon Race Cars) install and setup the gears for $480 including the new Dana gears. Just remember to get the speedo recalibrator box (bad instructions but fairly easy install). I beleive it was $139 from JohnB at the Parts Rack.
LOL

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pav, the only reason you bought those 3.55s was to keep up with me in the 1/4s.

But seriously the 3.55 (I have 3.54) is a great upgrade, I'm getting 1.8s in 60 ft. time and I know I can get into high 1.7s on a good track with Pilots on. My best 60 ft. has been 1.81 and that was stock without the mods listed below except the 3.54 gear, I can't wait until the Mopar drags on May 6th will have more info then.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SoCal Rebell:
Pav, the only reason you bought those 3.55s was to keep up with me in the 1/4s.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's sort of true, but it's more like I bought the 3.55's to stay ahead of you in the 1/4....

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SoCal,
Beach Bum says there's an event down in Carlsbad this Sunday. I didn't know about it. Track opens at 8, racing starts at 9. Track prep will not be as good as next Sunday the 29th, but you'll be able to get a lot of passes. I'm tempted to throw on the ET streets, get a couple of solid 11-sec runs (hopefully, with the 3.55, I can drop my short time from a previous best of 1.72 to the 1.6's), and get booted. Might be fun. It's the only way I can hang with Beach Bum!

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venom Lover, I will think about Carlsbad on the 29th, 50/50 right now, I am Definately going to LACR Palmdale on May 6th for the Mopar drags.

Newport Viper, I'll give you my launching tips but not on the board I don't want Venom to use them his motor is too strong, e-mail me if you are interested.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Top speed bragging rights
<LI>Warranty will not cover a broken diff that's not stock
[/list]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by slaughterj:What reasons are there for not changing from the 3.07 gear? B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marv S

VCA Officer
Reaction score
It's closer to 20 mph loss in top end when going from 3.07 to 3.55 in a GTS. The '97 GTS with stock 3.07 gears ran 192 in 5th gear for Motor Trend. RPM was about 5750.

Put 3.55 rear gear in the car and it will be redline limited in 5th to about 170 mph. You would not be able to go 170 in 6th due to the severe 0.5 overdrive. http://orbitdevelopment.com/viper/gears.asp http://www.socalviper.org/techtips/TT10.HTM http://www.socalviper.org/techtips/gears.html
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SoCal Rebell:I think you only lose abou 3-4 mph with a 3.55 gear swap, so instead of going 192 mph you can "only" do 188-189 mph.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marv S

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Is that even an issue for any Viper owner?
I think it's only an issue for the feds.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1BADACR:
what kinda miles per gallon numbers can you expect after a gear change?
3.55?
3.45?
is it that much of a difference?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marv S

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Ok Ron, with your mods you may be rev limited to ~180 in 5th. btw, Did you have the top on at 170?

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What reasons are there for not changing from the 3.07 gear? (Daily driving?)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude