3:73 gears are you happy with them.

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just spent a weekend in the rain with the TN/AlA club driving here and there with a 3.55 I got from JonB. Unitrax set up the rear end with late model Viper parts so it would be stronger. I don't drive hard and I was taking it easy breaking (so I wouldn't break) the gears in. I have Nitto tires and had no traction problems in the rain. The car is much easier to drive and 5th gear is usable for 45-60 miles an hour from 1500 to 2200 RPM just cruising. Response is much improved and 6th is good for 80 mph at about 2000 RPM. I am sure some folks need a quaife or giken but JonB assured me the new style rear end would be OK. I haven't had enough dry weather to check but after 700 miles I feel pretty good about the acceleration and car not going to be hard to drive. Yes, it does make you shift more but 4th and 5th are both good for cruising in the 1500 to 2600 RPM range. You can obviously use more RPM if you feel the need. Before the change 1st was hard to use unless you really wound it up - now you can almost start from 0 mph in 2nd. I personally think 3.73 would have me shifting more than I need. I must emphasize that I am a backroad driver so the swap is just right and if I need interstate speeds(which I hate) I can still go way above the limit at 2000 RPM.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21