3:73 gears are you happy with them.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im changing my rear end gears and for the ones that have done the chage any regrets. My car is not a DD. I did do a ton of serches but dint find any that reported after using them for real life day to day used. my car is a gen 3

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see that the 373 will be to much for a blown car, but I have no plans for FI unless is a roots style and thats never going to happen.

OP
OP
C

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will enjoy the gear change. Its will feel like you have more HP.

"Dont fear the gears" I had lots of hot rods over the years and gears is by far the best mod. It seems that lately many have done the 373 over 355. Gears is a big job on the vipers dont want to get it wrong, or fall short on the gears.

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Dont fear the gears" I had lots of hot rods over the years and gears is by far the best mod. It seems that lately many have done the 373 over 355. Gears is a big job on the vipers dont want to get it wrong, or fall short on the gears.

I love my 3.55's. I also did a Quaife at the same time and that makes a huge difference in handling. 3.73's I imagine would be fine too. It all depends on what you are after. I did 3.55's so 6th gear would be usable at a reasonable speed. Driving in town isn't any different than with the stock gears. 3.73's would make short bursts feel like you have a blower I'm sure.

--FQB

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had 3.55's in my '06 and now in my '08.

As mentioned above - Now I can actually use 6th gear.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3.73 with an OSG diff (3.45 equivalent with 20's). Love the 3.45 and can't imagine the fun with the full effect of the 3.73.

Yeah, if you don't mind the shifting and all the stats that say your car will be slower I say do it.

OP
OP
C

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3.73 with an OSG diff (3.45 equivalent with 20's). Love the 3.45 and can't imagine the fun with the full effect of the 3.73.

Yeah, if you don't mind the shifting and all the stats that say your car will be slower I say do it.

I have an extra rear end out of a 09 with 1000k on it. Thats the one Im going to do the gears on. as for the top speed is not a big deal to me or the 1/4 mile. I just want a fun weekend car.

1HOTV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run at the track and wen't up to 3:33s, bad mistake. Shift, shift, shift. If you like race on the street from block to block (NO-NO) then go for 3:55s but what ever you do install a Quaife or similar. It will keep your Viper going straight and off the sidewalk or wall or hitting someone.

OP
OP
C

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run at the track and wen't up to 3:33s, bad mistake. Shift, shift, shift. If you like race on the street from block to block (NO-NO) then go for 3:55s but what ever you do install a Quaife or similar. It will keep your Viper going straight and off the sidewalk or wall or hitting someone.

Trust me there is no street racing here, I just want a fun car that feels like it has good low end power. The 09 differential is more that I will ever need.

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking about 3:55's in my car, but everyone has said to stay away with a turbo car. I have heard that they would put less strain on the drivetrain.

OP
OP
C

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking about 3:55's in my car, but everyone has said to stay away with a turbo car. I have heard that they would put less strain on the drivetrain.

That is correct if you have a turbo you dont want anything more 333, but Im not doing any power adder for now. I did give unitrax a call and they told me that 373 has become the gear of choice.

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drive a 4.11 in my GenII! It's actually not bad.

I don't think you'd notice one bit of difference in the 3.55 and 3.73's. Go with either one; you'll love the drivability.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is correct if you have a turbo you dont want anything more 333, but Im not doing any power adder for now. I did give unitrax a call and they told me that 373 has become the gear of choice.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the more power you have the less you have to gear up. As a starting point :
Gen I and II will be fine with 3.73
Gen III will choose between 3.55 or 3.73
Gen IV will be better suited with 3.33 or 3.55
Turbo or SC will be fine with 3.07 or 3.33

I'm debating over going with 3.33 or 3.55 with Quaife for my mostly street driven Gen IV with a forecasted power level around 600 RWHP once I get a ported intake and change the OE mufflers.

Last edited:

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the more power you have the less you have to gear up. As a starting point :

That seems to be a decent rule of thumb...driving purpose (street or track) will cause variances, of course.

OP
OP
C

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm debating over going with 3.33 or 3.55 with Quaife for my mostly street driven Gen IV with a forecasted power level around 600 RWHP once I get a ported intake and change the OE mufflers.

On a gen 4 the 3:55 is the way to go, if your car is mostly street the Quaife is not need , your gen4 differential is all you need. The trick is finding some one to do the gears on a gen 4.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a gen 4 the 3:55 is the way to go, if your car is mostly street the Quaife is not need , your gen4 differential is all you need. The trick is finding some one to do the gears on a gen 4.

Exactly, but one thing I dont like about the Gen4 diff is when you apply half throttle or more the back end twitches and goes from side to side and that can be scary, as if you're losing traction.
I was told the Quaife applies power to both wheels evenly and the car stays straight when accelerating hard.

OP
OP
C

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly, but one thing I dont like about the Gen4 diff is when you apply half throttle or more the back end twitches and goes from side to side and that can be scary, as if you're losing traction.
I was told the Quaife applies power to both wheels evenly and the car stays straight when accelerating hard.

The quaife will do that but is just a different feel, for the expence Im not sure if its worth it for a street car. As for the gear thats worth doing big time.

Proshop

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Make a drive down to San Antonio and I will give you a ride. I have 3:73s and a Quaife...........and a Paxton :D I had the gears and diff first so seeing as it is not your daily nor was it mine, I truly loved the 3:73s. They made for a lot of fun in the extreme weekend car department and now I can actually use 6th gear!

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally got my gears done, I made the choice of going with 3:55 like many others, and I made the wrong choice 3:73 was the way to go. As for the install the guys at RSI (racing solutions) did a fantastic job extremilly happy with the work, and they tune the car for me as well. Thanks to will and the guys at RSI.