3:73 gears are you happy with them.

Viper23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I finally got my gears done, I made the choice of going with 3:55 like many others, and I made the wrong choice 3:73 was the way to go. As for the install the guys at RSI (racing solutions) did a fantastic job extremilly happy with the work, and they tune the car for me as well. Thanks to will and the guys at RSI.

So did you go with 3.55 or 3.73? Got a set of 3.73 that I will install soon on my 05. Got 3.55 in my gen 2 and love it.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my stock gearing!!

Have you ridden in a GenIII with gears? I promise you'll prefer 3.55s to your stock gearing...unless you spend all your time over 200mph.

After riding in my near stock coupe for a week, I really do love the 3.55s. With that said, I think on a stock to minor bolt-on Gen III, 3.73s are going to be the way to go. 3.55s feel like what the car should have had from the factory, and 3.73s will feel like a traditional gear swap in any other car.

OP
OP
C

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gears that I end up with where the 3:55 but trust me I like them BUT DONT LOVE THEM. with the 3:55 6th gears still an over drive gear and 5th is more usefull ,but I would like it just a tad more agressive. Im going to give these 3:55 a go for now, but I will provably change them in the future to the 3:73 for sure.

OP
OP
C

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you ridden in a GenIII with gears? I promise you'll prefer 3.55s to your stock gearing...unless you spend all your time over 200mph.

After riding in my near stock coupe for a week, I really do love the 3.55s. With that said, I think on a stock to minor bolt-on Gen III, 3.73s are going to be the way to go. 3.55s feel like what the car should have had from the factory, and 3.73s will feel like a traditional gear swap in any other car.

+1 on that if you planning on modding the car 3:55 are ok on an NA car 3:73 for sure.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes please explain why. I have a Gen 2 and im in the same boat as you 3:55 or 3:73

Gen II has much less HP and less TQ compared to Gen IV .
I have 4.10 in my 99 Gen II and love it.Drive it in the occasional rain too [ I live on the wetcoast;)] no problem.
Car pulls awesome in 4th and 5th from midrange and use 6th on highway trips mostly.On a n/a Gen II going to 3:55 is a waste IMHO.Go at least 3.73

First gear is still managable with 4.10 .Very little wheelhop in this video.YouTube - MVI 1794

Last edited:

Lundqvist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know that higher gears dont tech make your car go faster per say.. as it doesnt lower the quarter mile etc..

but someone said it does make you "faster" on the street. meaning a 3.55 viper same hp and everything will beat a stock gear viper from light to light. is this true?

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would be negative about swapping 3.55 or 3.73s on a Paxton car?

My 66 Mustang, I run a Vortech supercharged 408, 04 Viper T56, with 3.73s, and 285/30-19 tires. (Let the flogging begin.)

I haven't driven my Viper yet (probably my disconnect here), but was already planning a few mods like gears, and was leaning towards 3.73s. Considering the transmission and tire size on the Mustang, comparable to the Viper I figure the Viper will pull similar RPMs as my Mustang if I swapped to 3.73's. Would I be missing out on higher RPMs due to the boost of the Paxton if I swapped in 3.73s?

I'm learning.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i know that higher gears dont tech make your car go faster per say.. as it doesnt lower the quarter mile etc..

but someone said it does make you "faster" on the street. meaning a 3.55 viper same hp and everything will beat a stock gear viper from light to light. is this true?

Car does run quicker in the quarter. The two things that kill most guys et's with new gear ratios are less traction and less time in gear. Both are overcome with practice. People rarely if ever do proper burnouts, and commonly could eat a sandwich between shifts.

I was watching at the starting line at TX2K11 last weekend and was shocked at the lousy burnouts on cars running anywhere from 11's to 8's.

No different than road racing it takes a considerable amount of practice to get the best out of the car.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What would be negative about swapping 3.55 or 3.73s on a Paxton car?

My 66 Mustang, I run a Vortech supercharged 408, 04 Viper T56, with 3.73s, and 285/30-19 tires. (Let the flogging begin.)

I haven't driven my Viper yet (probably my disconnect here), but was already planning a few mods like gears, and was leaning towards 3.73s. Considering the transmission and tire size on the Mustang, comparable to the Viper I figure the Viper will pull similar RPMs as my Mustang if I swapped to 3.73's. Would I be missing out on higher RPMs due to the boost of the Paxton if I swapped in 3.73s?

I'm learning.

I think most Viper owners don't like them because so many people are thinking about mile cars these days or top end highway pulls. More of a concern with putting that power down on the street instead of at the track.

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think most Viper owners don't like them because so many people are thinking about mile cars these days or top end highway pulls. More of a concern with putting that power down on the street instead of at the track.

rpm calculator

Sorry to play virtual driver, it's all I can do at the moment. I understand the idea in this top end power. With 3.07s, 345/25-20 tire, 2000 rpm 6th=100mph, 5th=70mph. I suppose to maximize fuel economny at just under 1500rpm 6th=75mph but it'd begging to downshift I imagine.

I think I'm in a similar position as the OP. I think 3.73s will allow me to enjoy 6th gear more on a daily basis, and have fun with the shorter shifts getting there.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had 3.73 gearing in my 99 TransAm Heads/Cam and it felt way too short for me. I love the long pull of the Viper, using every inch of TQ the V10 lays down. If it didn't die at about 5k RPM I guess it would be okay for 3.73's.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had both the 3.73 was my favorite. Hot rod gear for sure. Fun Fun Fun ... The 3.55 is not far behind but not as quick from the starting line. The reason I went from the 3.73 to the 3.55 is the 1/4 mile the 3.73 in 4th gear was done before the 1/4 The 3.55 put out a better time due to the fact at 1/4 there was just more power to be had. For playing around 3.73 are great.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had 3.73 gearing in my 99 TransAm Heads/Cam and it felt way too short for me. I love the long pull of the Viper, using every inch of TQ the V10 lays down. If it didn't die at about 5k RPM I guess it would be okay for 3.73's.

Hmmmmmmmm.... Maybe different on the gen 2 vs. 3 but mine doesn't fall off or nose dive at 5,000rpm.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with 3.33's and Quaife because I plan to go FI on the future. Even with just 3.33's, I use 5th and 6th around town all the town with now problem.

OP
OP
C

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When it comes to gears is more of a personal choice and needs, some like the 1/4 mile, road racing or in my case just a fun weekend car with some low end punch. goin 70 mph my rpm in 6 gear are 1200.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, for some reason it seems like 3.73s are frowned upon, and everyone runs the 3.55s because everyone else does...but, for the majority of guys who want to have more fun with the car, 3.73s are perfect!

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmm.... Maybe different on the gen 2 vs. 3 but mine doesn't fall off or nose dive at 5,000rpm.

Gen 3 dynos do seem to level out and not lose power, probably just made better.

I plan on swapping 5th/6th, but that is it.

Lundqvist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car does run quicker in the quarter. The two things that kill most guys et's with new gear ratios are less traction and less time in gear. Both are overcome with practice. People rarely if ever do proper burnouts, and commonly could eat a sandwich between shifts.

I was watching at the starting line at TX2K11 last weekend and was shocked at the lousy burnouts on cars running anywhere from 11's to 8's.

No different than road racing it takes a considerable amount of practice to get the best out of the car.

Okay so if the 3.55 runs faster, then the problem is hooking with the higher ratios and having to shirt more.. then it makes sense that higher gears would be better on the road.

let say your cruisen at 20 miles an hour and someone comes up to you and takes off.. since you already have traction and moving the higher gears will send you off quicker..

where as from a stand still youll have a hard time hooking.

so am i right to hink the 3.55 would really come in handy in street racing esp if your already moving? (im not advocating street racing this is just a matter of discussion)

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep it will pull quicker from a role as well. As Zentek mentioned above the biggest issue is the 5-6 trans ratios. 3.73's + 2010 trans ratios would be perfect the way I use my car.

Down here in Houston we have great roads for getting street cars to hook so the 3.73's stick well and are a blast.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the only down side to the 3.73 gears are they run hotter on long trips but a cooler would take care of that. I am actually thinking of doing another rearend. I would like to get a gear right between 3.55 and 3.73 for my gen 3 it would be perfect to max my rpm in 4th gear in the 1/4 mile

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the only down side to the 3.73 gears are they run hotter on long trips but a cooler would take care of that. I am actually thinking of doing another rearend. I would like to get a gear right between 3.55 and 3.73 for my gen 3 it would be perfect to max my rpm in 4th gear in the 1/4 mile

That'll put you 3.60 or 3.70.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My personal opinion is theirs no real awnswer with vipers and gears. lesser cars putting out 300 rwt could truly benifit from lower gearing.

but my gen 2 hit 465 rwt stock on the dyno and my gen 3 was at 490 rwt with an air intake..far and away from the typical 300-375 rwt lesser cars put out.

my honest opinion is that when you already have 500 plus torque that adding steeper gears is just adding fuel to the fire. even on the stock 3.07s my best 60 foot to date is a sad 1.91.

with steeper gearing your gonna have to add at a minimum drag radials or invo's to put the power down with the torque plus steeper gears. but as canyon said. even if you can hook the power a fourth to fith gear change before crossing the quartermile markers is quite a hassle with the 3.73 gears.

road racin then stick with stock....quartermilin then stick with stock. street racin then 3.73 all day...those stock gears have lost me a few street races. stock the first gear does around 60 mph..most people want to start the race at 50 mph

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But if you start at 50 mph in first gear it is just toooooo violent and you have to shift a few tenths of a second later to second gear.

so you start at 50 mph in second gear at a very low rpm and the car just lulls from 50 to 70 mph in second gear and finally comes to life from 75 tp 95 mph..

now with 3.73 gearing...second gear would pull like an ape at 50 mph. even third wouldnt be horrible at 50 mph. basically youd always be in the right gear except for first gear and traction

HANKFAN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For a street car, do most people prefer 3.33's on a Gen III with a Paxton?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21