3:73s and aluminum flywheel feed back.

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got an aluminum flywheel installed along with 3:73s. Just past the 500 mile break in mark and wasted no time seeing what this new upgrade is all about. WOW is all I have to say. The car revs up so much quicker and it pulls so much harder! It feels much more violent. This is the way they should have come from the factory. Highly recomend! The car just feels so much more responsive. Just passing someone on the freeway is lots of fun now. I am running a 20 inch rear wheel so from what I'm told it's an equivalent of running 3:55 with a stock rim size. Anyone with more knowledge feel free to chime in about this.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You had both installed at the same time? I would think the 3:73 is the major reason for the violence. For the 20" rear - you didn't get a lower profile tire then to make the total diameter equivalent?

I would be interested how an aluminum flywheel behaves as a single mod.

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice mods I was thinking of doing the same except 3:55 instead, changing the size of tire you should get a four wheel allignment spedometer check.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got mine from Woodhouse, but you're still going to feel like you're driving a tank, just with a shorter throw. The trans in the Viper is just tough to shift for some reason. I've had T56's in past cars and they shifted much different (easier) than the Viper version. I recently put in a Tranzilla transmission from Rockland Gears (after blowing my trans at Road Atlanta), and it shifts a lot easier than the T56, but still nothing like your Porsche did.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suspect an aluminum flywheel is a pretty good amount of work? I was wondering if that change alone is worth it, or if the gears are the bigger solution...

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You had both installed at the same time? I would think the 3:73 is the major reason for the violence. For the 20" rear - you didn't get a lower profile tire then to make the total diameter equivalent?

I would be interested how an aluminum flywheel behaves as a single mod.

Yes both installed at the same time. Both the gears and the aluminum fly wheel are working with one another. Doing just the gears or just the fly wheel would not yield the same results. Its like running a set of headers with factory exhaust. Doing headers and cat back compliment one another. Yes either one will give you more power but both together give you a much better result and make the car run much more efficiently. In this case the unsprung weight savings combined with a lower gear ratio gives you a nice kick in the ass which climbs through the RPM much fast compared to just the gear install and factory flywheel.

Tires are 345s 25/20. Not the same diameter as a factory tire.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice mods I was thinking of doing the same except 3:55 instead, changing the size of tire you should get a four wheel allignment spedometer check.

Thanks!

Duh LOL :) in regards to the alignment comment

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suspect an aluminum flywheel is a pretty good amount of work? I was wondering if that change alone is worth it, or if the gears are the bigger solution...

Most def worth it, but it all depends what your goal is with your car. It was 400 to have it installed. I had my short shifter and clutch done at the the same time.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love my 355 gears with aluminum flywheel. Don't forget the short throw shifter!!!!!

3.55 gears, aluminum flywheel and of course an MGW short shifter, absolutely great on the track. I was at my local Dodge dealer and goosed it a few times all the techs and regular workers around said "aluminum flywheel" right away it wound up like a sewing machine.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So are there any DOWNSIDES to an aluminum flywheel?

My goal is not drag racing, but I want it to REV faster while on the street. I know gears do that as well, just trying the separate the two methods to see pros and cons.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Har har - that would be my intention. I don't think $400 for labor is that bad considering the amount of work involved.

Might as well get a new clutch if needed and istall the short shifter if you dont already have one. The gen3/4 shifters have to be installed from the bottom if you already don't know that.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might as well get a new clutch if needed and istall the short shifter if you dont already have one. The gen3/4 shifters have to be installed from the bottom if you already don't know that.

I only have 2000 miles so no clutch. But the FIRST thing I noticed in the Viper was the glacial like speed at which the car revs up. So both flywheel and gears, but since they can be done independently, trying to figure out which one first.

Arrrrg.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only have 2000 miles so no clutch. But the FIRST thing I noticed in the Viper was the glacial like speed at which the car revs up. So both flywheel and gears, but since they can be done independently, trying to figure out which one first.

Arrrrg.

Def gears then!

lotti

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes both installed at the same time. Both the gears and the aluminum fly wheel are working with one another. Doing just the gears or just the fly wheel would not yield the same results. Its like running a set of headers with factory exhaust. Doing headers and cat back compliment one another. Yes either one will give you more power but both together give you a much better result and make the car run much more efficiently. In this case the unsprung weight savings combined with a lower gear ratio gives you a nice kick in the ass which climbs through the RPM much fast compared to just the gear install and factory flywheel.

Tires are 345s 25/20. Not the same diameter as a factory tire.

Looking at the tire specs it looks like the Nitto is 26.65 diameter and a PS2 345/30/19 is 27.2 diameter. I could be wrong on the diameter but if not your would be actually running more then a 3.73's

lotti

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been looking into buying 19/20 and trying decide on tires and these are the diameters listed on the manufactors website. If what is listed is correct the nitto is a shorter tire then the stock michilen 19" which would make for a lower gear ratio all things being equal.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been looking into buying 19/20 and trying decide on tires and these are the diameters listed on the manufactors website. If what is listed is correct the nitto is a shorter tire then the stock michilen 19" which would make for a lower gear ratio all things being equal.

Honestly someone else did the math for me who seemed to know what they were talking about in relation to gear ratios and tires size. I'll have to find that info somewhere. Just can't remember who gave me the info in the first place lol. I did however had a few people tell me the 3:73 is a perfect gear when running a 20" rear wheel.

lotti

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree 3.73 is a great gear considering it myself the tall factory gear these cars come with is a joke.

I believe rim diameter has nothing to do with gear ratio it is the tire diameter that matters. You could have a 15" rim with 25" diameter tire or a 22" rim with a 25" diameter tire and the car would have the same gear ratio. Gear calculators ask for tire diameters not rim.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Comparing the specs for the Nitto Invo that carries both sizes the 345-30-19 is 27.17" dia, while the 345-25-20 is 26.65 wich is a 2% smaller dia. wich will increase the effective gear ratio by that same 2%. So, your 3.73 gears will now act as if you had a 3.80 gear.
Math is math, cant argue with that !

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So are there any DOWNSIDES to an aluminum flywheel?

My goal is not drag racing, but I want it to REV faster while on the street. I know gears do that as well, just trying the separate the two methods to see pros and cons.

Yeah there is a downside to drag racing being lighter rotating mass, but that is not a concern of yours. You would really be amazed at how much faster the motor winds up with the light weight flywheel, it is a must for road racing as it makes it much easier to match revs when you down shift. Also makes heel/toeing a lot easier.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree 3.73 is a great gear considering it myself the tall factory gear these cars come with is a joke.

I believe rim diameter has nothing to do with gear ratio it is the tire diameter that matters. You could have a 15" rim with 25" diameter tire or a 22" rim with a 25" diameter tire and the car would have the same gear ratio. Gear calculators ask for tire diameters not rim.

Yes I know its the overall diameter that matters.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Comparing the specs for the Nitto Invo that carries both sizes the 345-30-19 is 27.17" dia, while the 345-25-20 is 26.65 wich is a 2% smaller dia. wich will increase the effective gear ratio by that same 2%. So, your 3.73 gears will now act as if you had a 3.80 gear.

Maybe that other guy was off on his math. What ever the gear ratio is, im glad i went with 3:73 and not 3:55

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct. My rear HRE 20 with a Pirelli 25 pr0file is actually shorter than the stock 19 inch setup. Just because the diameter of the rim is bigger it doesnt mean you have increased overall height.