3:73s and aluminum flywheel feed back.

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have 3.73 gears and wish I had the taller gears. If you do any hp mods the 3.73 gears make your first couple gears useless due to wheel spin. The torque feels great in every gear, but it breaks loose pretty easy.

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
anton28, have you recalibrated your speedometer to compensate for the changed wheel and tire size?

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3.73 gears and wish I had the taller gears. If you do any hp mods the 3.73 gears make your first couple gears useless due to wheel spin. The torque feels great in every gear, but it breaks loose pretty easy.

This is part of the reason that gears are a question in my mind. First, I would do 3:55 I think. 2nd, I still have visions that I will add a supercharger and the gearing may be wrong. Then again, I may never get a supercharger ur to lack of funds... But the flywheel can be used in any situation or configuration for the street. I just can't imagine it making a huge difference though.

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you go supercharged, stay away from the 3.73 gears. Way to much power for the gearing. Just basic mods may be fun, but 3.55's still may be a better choice. Just my opinion...
This is part of the reason that gears are a question in my mind. First, I would do 3:55 I think. 2nd, I still have visions that I will add a supercharger and the gearing may be wrong. Then again, I may never get a supercharger ur to lack of funds... But the flywheel can be used in any situation or configuration for the street. I just can't imagine it making a huge difference though.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had 3.73 since I owned the car. It came that way.

Really have a hard time imagining it any other way.

Never had a problem with wheel spin.

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the only planned mods are simple mods like K&N filters or cat-back exhaust, it may not make much of a difference, but the more mods you have the tougher traction will be. If someone is staying stock they may be fine, but thinking of a possible supercharger addition like Ohlarikd, 3.73's are too low. My car is supercharged and I break loose at 70mph on the interstate in 3rd gear and if its cold sometimes a little in 4th.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you search and read the opinions about the aluminum flywheel from everyone THAT HAS ONE, you will see nothing but positives remarks.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree. As soon as I got my gen 3 i knew it needed gears BAD!!!

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you go supercharged, stay away from the 3.73 gears. Way to much power for the gearing. Just basic mods may be fun, but 3.55's still may be a better choice. Just my opinion...

It really is a matter of personal opinion. I know guys that run factory, 3:55 and 3:73s with supercharged 1,000hp vipers and all love the gearing that they have.

I personally would be happy with 650 rwhp with 3:73s anything above that, i would step down to 3:55 or 3:33 but never factory 3:07 crap.

Another thing to think about is what your HP and TQ curves look like. If your TT or SC set up is not making power unitl 4k then maybe a 3:73 gear is not all that bad vs a roe car that makes all the tq in the world at 2k which would definitely benefit from a 3:33 gear vs 3:73.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the only planned mods are simple mods like K&N filters or cat-back exhaust, it may not make much of a difference, but the more mods you have the tougher traction will be. If someone is staying stock they may be fine, but thinking of a possible supercharger addition like Ohlarikd, 3.73's are too low. My car is supercharged and I break loose at 70mph on the interstate in 3rd gear and if its cold sometimes a little in 4th.

Again all personal opinion and preference. I for one got the 3:73s so i can break traction more easily. This is what I enjoy. I want to drift that **** viper ass around every turn :) Viper is a modern time HOTROD burn some fkn rubber!!!

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed to 3.73s also and would not go back to freeway gears. On this car all the fun happens above 3000 rpm, so the easier it gets there the better, IMO. Hell, the new Gen V is at 3.55 so that tells me the factory is in agreement with lower ratios and decided to throw fuel economy (and the attached gas guzzler tax) to the wind. If you wanna play you gotta pay...

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm curious what the first gear top speed is for the new Gen V. Does anyone know? I thought first gear was now capable of hitting 60mph?
I changed to 3.73s also and would not go back to freeway gears. On this car all the fun happens above 3000 rpm, so the easier it gets there the better, IMO. Hell, the new Gen V is at 3.55 so that tells me the factory is in agreement with lower ratios and decided to throw fuel economy (and the attached gas guzzler tax) to the wind. If you wanna play you gotta pay...

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I mentioned earlier that my comments are only personal opinion, based on experience from owning a supercharged car with the gears in question. I'm curious, how much rwhp is your car currently making? My car is making 676rwhp and can break loose at 70mph with 3.73 gears, I wouldn't think it would be much fun having the same gears with over 300hp more than I have. I love burning tires also at will, but the true performance of the car suffers also if the ratio doesn't match the hp. Again, this is all opinion. What matters is that you love your car and how it performs based on your abilities and desired use.
It really is a matter of personal opinion. I know guys that run factory, 3:55 and 3:73s with supercharged 1,000hp vipers and all love the gearing that they have.

I personally would be happy with 650 rwhp with 3:73s anything above that, i would step down to 3:55 or 3:33 but never factory 3:07 crap.

Another thing to think about is what your HP and TQ curves look like. If your TT or SC set up is not making power unitl 4k then maybe a 3:73 gear is not all that bad vs a roe car that makes all the tq in the world at 2k which would definitely benefit from a 3:33 gear vs 3:73.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm curious what the first gear top speed is for the new Gen V. Does anyone know? I thought first gear was now capable of hitting 60mph?

The 2013 uses a 2.26 1st gear ratio with a 3.55 rear gear and a 355/30-19 tire - with a 6400 RPM fuel cut, it can do 65 MPH in first gear.

The Gen IV (2008-2010) with a 2.66 1st gear ratio, a 3.07 rear gear and a 345/30-10 tire with a 6400 RPM fuel cut can do 63.3 MPH in first gear.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As per the Road & Track test, May 2013 issue, the Gen V will do 62 in first, 88 in second, 117 in third, 139 in fourth, 181 fifth, and 206 in sixth.
So overall first gear is similar to the Gen IV but all other ratios are shorter than before.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang