30 mile test ride??

Jasone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my Viper back from the dealership for some minor work.. The interesting part was the 30 miles they put on the car while they had it. I could tell by the amount of break dust that it was a spirited 30 miles at that.

Does that seem like an unreasonable test drive? does it really take 30 miles to make sure a software update was working?

-Jasone

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd ask Chuck, depends on the update. Some updates require the tech to do a drive cycle, etc after a update.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends what was wrong and what they had to do to fix it. Codes in the computer have to be cleared by driving, usually at least 50 miles under different conditions. Adaptive programming in the computer also takes some driving to adjust properly after changes. On the other hand there have been cases where the dealer wrecked someone's car because of too spirited a "test drive". Maybe you should ask them while looking them in the eyes.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I need to drive a customers car they are aware of it and why I am haveing to drive it.There is no reason for extra brake dust from a road test.What kind of work did they do for you? I would ask why they drove it 30 miles and point out the extra dust on the wheels. I would have a hard time going back to the dealer and leaving the car for anything.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I need to drive a customers car they are aware of it and why I am haveing to drive it.

That would seem like a minimum level of respect for servicing an expensive car. Viper or not. On the rare occasion I have my F350 at the dealer I even record the mileage on it at drop off time.

One comment that has been made before is to jot the mileage down on a sticky note and leave it stuck to the radio console.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Agree that you should know about test drives in advance. Our Tech is always very up front about such things.

Keep in mind that the car needs to be at full warm to complete a drive cycle...which in my part of the country today would require a 30-50 mile street/freeway driving course. As I exercise our Vipers in the cooler weather, I have been very careful to pay attention to such things.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say no. You stated that it was "minor" work. I will take you at your statement. Thirty miles is not reasonable. Add in the "spirited" driving and I would say you have an issue.

If it was an oil change, minor part replacement, brakes, trans oil, minor electrical, or tire work the thirty miles is clearly excessive.

Tony2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I agree that 30 miles may be a bit much depending on what service were being done. However I think you guys are out to lunch if you think a dealer (Unless it is some low volume exotic type dealer/service center) is going to call everyone for approval/acknowledgement before every test drive, that process would make them extremely inefficient in my opinion, and after all our cars are just Dodge’s so let be realistic.

Tony2

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
However I think you guys are out to lunch if you think a dealer (Unless it is some low volume exotic type dealer/service center) is going to call everyone for approval/acknowledgement before every test drive, that process would make them extremely inefficient in my opinion, and after all our cars are just Dodge’s so let be realistic.

A large dealer might see what, one Viper a month or so? One a week tops? Yeah, having the service manager tell the owner at that time (they are standing there looking at each other) that there may be a test drive involved would probably cause gridlock all the way out to the adjoining streets and intersections.

:rolleyes:

You're right though, it's just a Dodge. A very limited production 600hp Dodge that most techs drool over instead of the minivans they fill the rest of their week or month with.

Tony2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A large dealer might see what, one Viper a month or so? One a week tops? Yeah, having the service manager tell the owner at that time (they are standing there looking at each other) that there may be a test drive involved would probably cause gridlock all the way out to the adjoining streets and intersections.

:rolleyes:

You're right though, it's just a Dodge. A very limited production 600hp Dodge that most techs drool over instead of the minivans they fill the rest of their week or month with.

So are you saying we love/appreciate our cars more than say a 16 year old with their first car which may be a Neon? Or a single mom that has worked tirelessly for years to purchase their first reliable car/minivan that her kids can be safe in? I am sure he/she could potentially be just as uptight when their car gets test driven (Even more so as unlike most of us this isn’t our only means of transportation). Where does the service dept draw the line? Why should you or I have any more privileges than that kid, mother, or anyone else for that matter?

Yeah so you are right, I see your point :rolleyes:

I guess were just living up to the negative image that some give us sports car drivers!!

Tony2

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the biggest issue here is liablity. Every one in the shop has driven a neon, caravan, charger. And for the most part you dont get in trouble with thoses cars.But someone diving a viper for the first time with out the owner of the car around. Kid in a candy store.And that is how cars get totaled dealers get bad names. And people die.Best thing is to know your tech and feel you could trust them with your first born child.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my Viper back from the dealership for some minor work.. The interesting part was the 30 miles they put on the car while they had it. I could tell by the amount of break dust that it was a spirited 30 miles at that.

Does that seem like an unreasonable test drive? does it really take 30 miles to make sure a software update was working?

-Jasone

I ask them when I drop the car off to call me if they need a test drive and I will take the tech for a drive. I explain that I am fussy who puts their foot into my 712RWHP car. Then there is never an issue and everyone is aware up front that extra miles may be an issue.
I like the sticky note idea.:2tu: Very good visual deterrent.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So are you saying we love/appreciate our cars more than say a 16 year old with their first car which may be a Neon? Or a single mom that has worked tirelessly for years to purchase their first reliable car/minivan that her kids can be safe in? I am sure he/she could potentially be just as uptight when their car gets test driven (Even more so as unlike most of us this isn’t our only means of transportation). Where does the service dept draw the line? Why should you or I have any more privileges than that kid, mother, or anyone else for that matter?

Yeah so you are right, I see your point :rolleyes:

I guess were just living up to the negative image that some give us sports car drivers!!

Tony2

Yes. I am saying that a 16 year old and his Neon or a hard working mom and her minivan would have a completely different mindset about a test drive by a technician. They may both be inquisitive or concerned, but not even in the same ballpark as a Viper owner.

Look at some of the service amenities that $100K luxury car manufacturers advertise. Think you get that with a $10K Dodge? Likely not unless you won the car in some contest that included it. By why not put the $100K Viper in the same service class as a $100K Beemer or Merc?

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HELL NO!!

30 miles??--I would be throwing a fit---I can just see a nice line of grease monkeys taking turns doing burnout and smokey launches down some back road---hell no 30 miles--ridiculous

Tony2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way just to clarify I really am not a big schmuck, just playing a little Devils Advocate. I agree with some points you guys are making as well.

:2tu:

Tony2

Spook120

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I had my upgraded ECU installed, my mechanic took the car for a 60 mile "test drive". When questioned he admitted that he had to take it past his EX WIFE's house! Go figure. It was so damn funny that I couldn't really blame him. Besides, he is a great wrench! *****.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Geez, let's vote democratic while we are at it. :rolleyes:

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming they are near a highway, how far is it to the next exit? I know in South Jersey it can easily be 10-12 miles between exits you could turn around at....so you're at 25 miles quickly.

Regards,
Aaron

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
30 miles after "minor work"?
You would have seen the story about my personal 30A fuse blowing on a cable news network.

I left my ride for 48 hours for a front fascia replacement.
Before I gave the keys to the MANAGER of the body shop, I explained that NO ONE else was to even touch the keys, let alone drive it.
He said that he's the only one that moves SRT vehicles at the dealership.
I informed him that I wanted him present as I took digital pictures of both the odometer and trip odometer. No problem.
I would be taking pictures when I picked it up as well. No problem.

There were 0.4 miles on it when I got it back.

SUGGESTION: For those concerned about 'fun runs' while their vehicle is at the dealership, here are a couple of ideas:
- Install an hour meter, and stash it stealthily away.
- Track it with GPS: Earth Products & Accessories
Less than $200, magnetic mount is available, time/date stamp, and the ability to make a nice GoogleEarth video (with speed specs) for the clown at the dealership that took your vehicle for a "spirited drive".

OP
OP
J

Jasone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments. I did take a picture of the odometer when I dropped it off and told my service rep that I expected limitted miles for any test drive. The dealer is locted 1 mile from the interstate with many exits that would allow for a good test drive of 2-10 miles.

I had a periodic loss of power and knocking during acceleration.. the "fix" was a software update apparently. I haven't had a chance to do a test drive of my own to confirm the fix.

I have another question for the group. The dealer added a quart of Mobile 1 10-30 to my 5-40. Will this hurt? do I need to change the oil now? I have a track day coming up .next weekend (which is why I had it at the dealer in the first place)

Thanks.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think 30 miles is too bad. if you think about it, they are actually driving out 15 miles to somewhere and back. (15 + 15 = 30). depending on the work that was done and where you live, i think its reasonable.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960