355 Gear Poll

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the 354 gear on motor it's great..........However, If your plans include alot of Horsepower do yourself a favor and go with the 3.31 gear.

I can make the qtr mile in 4th gear on motor but just make it.

When I spray the nitrous with only a hundred shot I must shift to 5th to get through the qtr. That lead to tranny problems...

If anybody wants to trade a rear set up with 3.31 gears for my Hennesey 354 rear with Unitrax carrier drop me an email....

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3.55 gears make the car come alive. Definitely one of the best "bang for the buck" seat-of-the-pants improvements you can do. As Lee says, if your plans include substantial modifications (ie, nitrous or supecharging), 3.31's or even the stock 3.07's are a better choice. But otherwise, the 3.55's (or 3.45's) are the way to go. Downsides to 3.55's: (1)poorer gas mileage (who cares?), (2) probably a little noisier than the stock gears, (3) you will definitely have to shift to 4th in the 1/4 mile.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to change them and then ran into problems finding
someone local to even do a swap out from the "you ship it to partsrack" special.

now that Sean Roe has a SC available soon. I am going to wait and try and do the SC instead. I think the 3.55 gears with the SC
would not be necessary.

so staying with stock for now. we'll see.

congrats again

JIM

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Inquiring mind here needs to know one thing........... From the stock standpoint of a drag race, what would a quarter mile time slip reveal to me as the difference between 3.07's and 3.55's ???

S

SUN RA KAT

I thought long and hard about putting in 3.55 gears, but I'm going to use the gear change money to go towards the Sean Roe Supercharger System. If I wasn't going to supercharge my Viper in the near future, I'd go with the 3.55 gears.

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had hard to find tracktion with the 3.55 (bad 60 footers) so I changed back to 3.07 (now 1.53 60 foot). The 3.07 works much better on the Dragstrip, I also found it working well on the racing track. My choice is definitely to stay with 3.07. I will only go back to 3.55 when I change to a 28" slicks.
/JP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JH23JOB:
Inquiring mind here needs to know one thing........... From the stock standpoint of a drag race, what would a quarter mile time slip reveal to me as the difference between 3.07's and 3.55's ???

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine has been in for three weeks.

I like the feel around town and at highway speeds up to 80mph.

I think on a stock or lightly modified car up to 50 additional
hp it is a plus.

On the highway 6th gear now feels like 5th so there is no 6th
gear if you like cruising at 90-100mph at a lower rpm.

I have a NOS car and make too much power on spray to use any
rear 3:07,3:31 or 3:55. So since I must use slicks the 3:55 is
the best.

On motor only I am happy with the 3:55.

And most importantly I ordered the complete rear assembly my old
3:07's are always there for me and there is no down time while
waiting on your new rear to arrive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member