3rd gen brake problem......

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Friend just got the 3rd gen brake kit installed at valaya racing in San Jose, CA and something is wrong with it. He pulled up to my house and the rear wheels are tucked in about 1.5"-2". He told me that they but the gen 3 knuckles on the car but informed him that the ACR wheels that they also installed to fit the brakes have a different offset then the stock 2001 GTS wheels and that why the wheels stick in that much.

Is the offset really different on the ACR wheels and the stock gen II wheels? I don’t think that’s true at all. And can you put the gen 3 rear knuckles on a gen two if so why would they do that instead of just modifying the gen 2 ones to fit the caliper bracket?

What do you guys think the problem is? I think they are blowing smoke up his @#$& about he wheel offset. Now he has to get a custom wheel to fit the rear of that car and that’s more money out of his pocket just to fit the brakes.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not true on the offset, if there is a difference its UNNOTICABLE. I have had both on my car, and the face of the wheels sits in the same verticle plane. Total [******]. Something is F'ed up on the car, the brakes do NOT change the offset of the rims. what total garbage !!

Jon

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has to be the 3rd Gen knuckles then. Can those be fit on the 2nd gen car?

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Gen 3 Brakes buy Valaya on my Y2K GTS and have no such problem, and my wheels stayed in the same place except for the wheel spacers that were added so that the wheels missed the brake calipers .25 inch spacers I believe. If you want to compare call Dan at DC Performance and have him look at my car and compare ( my car is there have the engine repaired after the last shop that worked on it to F'd the engine ) call Dan at 1-310-841-6996

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow i wonder what the problem is them. I have gen3 brakes on my car as well but i bought my kit from dave and installed my self and i dont have any problems either. Something was done there that is making the wheels stick in more.

Do you get the 3rd gen rear knuckles? or did they modify the stock gen 2 knuckle?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Just smoke some drugs and pretend its ok.

That way you won't have an annuerism, trying to get it corrected.

[/satire]

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just smoke some drugs and pretend its ok.

That way you won't have an annuerism, trying to get it corrected.

[/satire]

um ok..................

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow i wonder what the problem is them. I have gen3 brakes on my car as well but i bought my kit from dave and installed my self and i dont have any problems either. Something was done there that is making the wheels stick in more.

Do you get the 3rd gen rear knuckles? or did they modify the stock gen 2 knuckle?

gen 3 is what I got

Ted May

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To Anton28
Sorry it took me so long to post a reply but I dont spend alot of time on the forums. In the pass I have tried to help people with there questions but I got burnt out on all the misinformation given to people. Now far as the big brake kits I have been doing for over two years, I have done over 15 kits with using the Gen III calipers and knuckles and your friends car was the first car that I have done with the ( Mercedes looking ) 5 spoke rims. It's not the offset thats the problem, It's how the 5 spoke is built. The 5 spoke rim dishes in and the ( spoke housing )is over 2 1/5 inches thick where as the factory BBS and most aftermarket rims have a ( spoke housing ) of 1 to 1 1/4 inch thick. On the two car that I have done in the last mouth with the 5 spoke rims I have had to do a 3/4 inch spacer adn longer wheel studs. If you have any questions on how good the car stops with the Gen III brakes just ask your friend or go for a ride with him.
Ted May
Valaya Racing

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96