5 Point Harness

John Baringer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Want to install a 5 or 6 Point Harness into my 1994 Viper Red RT/10. Do not want hack up car to get them to fit. Anyone have any suggestions? Have searched and not found a clear solution! Thanks for the help in advance.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I personally like the 6 point belts. My ACR has the pic up points for a 5 point but I still installed the 6 point belsts. Not sure on a Gen 1 but on a Gen 2 it's all bolt on except the notches you'll need to cut in the rear panel.

Call Jon B.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Want to install a 5 or 6 Point Harness into my 1994 Viper Red RT/10. Do not want hack up car to get them to fit. Anyone have any suggestions? Have searched and not found a clear solution! Thanks for the help in advance.

5 or 6pts will not work without modifying the seat for the anti-submarine belt(s).
Why do you want to put a racing harness, Show?, tracking the car?

Randy Forbes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the rear panel available used/separately (asks the guy that will be installing John's belts)? Always nice to keep the original part(s) unmolested, when possible.

His car does have the floor provision for the 5-point sub-strap, and of course, the lap belts. I have not yet removed the seat to look for the harness mounting points. After seeing the boss in the floor for the sub-strap, I was confident that there must be a provision for the harness(es).

Anyone have a picture?

I'll update this thread with pictures of John's installation upon completion...

In the meantime, thank you for all shared information.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
GEN 1 IS tapped OE, for 4, 5, or 6 points. Any would be adequate for Auto-X. 6pt is the firmest body and butt and thigh-security....

But you do have to make 2 slits, 1" x 3.5" each to access the shoulder anchors. Care, not hacking! That panel is quite spendy, or you can buy a cheaper, plastic, pre-cut panel as well.

After 10/6 please!?

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the rear panel available used/separately (asks the guy that will be installing John's belts)? Always nice to keep the original part(s) unmolested, when possible.

His car does have the floor provision for the 5-point sub-strap, and of course, the lap belts. I have not yet removed the seat to look for the harness mounting points. After seeing the boss in the floor for the sub-strap, I was confident that there must be a provision for the harness(es).

Anyone have a picture?

I'll update this thread with pictures of John's installation upon completion...

In the meantime, thank you for all shared information.

Randy:

The issue is not about a provision for mounting the anti-submarine belt ( on a 5pts) or for the 6pt harness ( in this case the 2 anti-submarine belts mount to the same location than the lap belts) but rather that to work the way they are designed to, the belt(s) need to go right between your crotch and you need a cut-out in the seat at this location.
If the belt(s) have to go around the front of the seat cushion, they will not work properly.
That say, you will still have the benefit of not moving so much laterally

Randy Forbes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate that the 6-point has the advantage of not cutting the seat as well, it would just be a matter of tucking it between the seatback and cushion when not in use (daily street driving). I haven't brought up the subject of a spare seat to cut a slot in it yet (back to keeping the original parts intact).

Glad to know for a fact that there are mounts for the shoulder straps, too bad they're not as easily accessed as the ones on the floor!

Is the panel removable to make the slots, or must it be done in place? I like the idea of getting one of JonB's with the slots already in it, but not so sure how John B. will like that idea... ;)

OP
OP
J

John Baringer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate that the 6-point has the advantage of not cutting the seat as well, it would just be a matter of tucking it between the seatback and cushion when not in use (daily street driving). I haven't brought up the subject of a spare seat to cut a slot in it yet (back to keeping the original parts intact).

Glad to know for a fact that there are mounts for the shoulder straps, too bad they're not as easily accessed as the ones on the floor!

Is the panel removable to make the slots, or must it be done in place? I like the idea of getting one of JonB's with the slots already in it, but not so sure how John B. will like that idea... ;)

Mr John will take it under consideration. Even with the holes in the back, you will never see them!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang