668rwhp 730 torque roe sc gts. What gears should I go with?

01GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My GTS just finished getting a roe supercharger installed and tuned. 99 gts and made 668rwhp and 730 torque. Currently has 4.10's on it and I know I will be switching them out. Car has 345/30/19's in the rear and 275/30/19's in the front. What gears should I go with?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With that power/torque, I'd got back to stock 3:07s or 3:33 tops but to each their own.

OP
OP

01GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking like stocks the gear of choice. Anyone have a set they want to sell or trade for the 4.10's before I order them?

jojogts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's some big numbers on a Roe blower what else done to the car? 10psi I assume...

OP
OP

01GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Edelbroch headers, 1.7roller rockers, full exhaust, no cats, supposedly a custom cam by elite motorsports (but from what I've read just because they said they installed a custom cam doesn't mean they did), elite motorsports heat extracting hood, the gears, roe kit with 10# pully and **** kit, pretty much the whole interior and wheel wells and airbag covers etc were dipped to look like carbon fiber by elite motorsports, custom aluminum airbox and custom intake, coilivers, a stereo, the gears and probably a few other odds and ends I'm forgetting.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DON"T DO STOCK gears!!!!!!!!!!

I am at the same power level as you 660/710. With 20's on my car and stock rear gears my 6th gear is USELESS. Even cruising 75-80 mph I never get to use 6th gear. I'd swap to 3.33s or 3.55s in a heartbeat. ;)

OP
OP

01GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll wait for a couple more responses before deciding. Before this thread I was leaning towards 3.33's but now I'm not certain. Car also has a Ron Davis radiator, 70mm throttle bodies, larger fan, vec3, upgraded plug wires, unitrax halfshafts and I'm sure a few other things I'm still forgetting.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run stock on my 10lb Roe, but I've never compared it to anything else. I have the same tire set up as 01GTS. 6th gear is pretty worthless, but the max I would want to go is 3.33.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock gear is the way to go.

Yes, your 6th gear will not be used for everyday driving, but with your HP the first 5 will do everything you want. You will still have 6th gear for exploring the upper ranges of the spedo.

With shorter gears, you will just smoke your tires, and exceed all the torque capacity of your driveline.

It will be great fun, but all your extra hp will just be wasted in tire smoke, making your car difficult to put the hammer down, and be constantly rowing your shifter.

Tail lights

Viper Owner
Reaction score
3.3 or3.5 you have4.10 's now. that tells me that you're 1 of the few who has figured out that the amount of torque applied to the ground buy the tires is also control by the throttle. why would you raise the torque of your motor just to lower it at the tires with a gear change to stock. it doesn't make any sense. you've already learned to drive the car with the 4.10's if you go to the stock rear end gear. you can easily get smoked buy a car with 3.3s ot 3.5's and a lot less motor.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock gear is the way to go.

Yes, your 6th gear will not be used for everyday driving, but with your HP the first 5 will do everything you want. You will still have 6th gear for exploring the upper ranges of the spedo.

With shorter gears, you will just smoke your tires, and exceed all the torque capacity of your driveline.

It will be great fun, but all your extra hp will just be wasted in tire smoke, making your car difficult to put the hammer down, and be constantly rowing your shifter.

Yep! 6th maybe more useful, but I don't thing that is worth giving up 1-4th. Seems pointless to have all that power go to waste with tire spin. I find it very hard to believe that most drivers can get the full use out of 600HP+ with lower gears no matter how good the driver. A lot I guess depends on what your doing with the car as well.

IMO stick with stock. I sometimes have a difficult time coming off the line in 1st on the street and not smoking the tires I couldn't image even more power.

I think the best opinions on here are from the guys who are pushing that much horse power. (And actually drive their cars)

-Tim

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are nuts - I'm running close to those power levels...ok a tad bit more and sitting with the stock 3.07 and have upgraded to the 19" rear wheels - that being said I can break the loose easily in 4th at over 100 (so I've been told) on sport cups. Maybe i am an exception. But if you are running those numbers your stock gears are not tall enough. 6th for me is enough to take many cars once I'm over 80. 6th is not useless at all, but it is a Gen 1, maybe you GTS guys are a little low in the power department, :)

Red Shift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock is fine and dandy here @ 5psi. 6th is fine for me @ 60mph and above, 70 and above with old motor. Maybe the 10psi puts more drag on the engine and has more trouble with 6th gear, but I'd imagine the boost at any RPM would make up for that.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i never understood the 6th gear being useless thing. 6th is only for cruising, nothing more. it shouldnt be used for any type of acceleration. its basically your overdrive

i cruised to florida a few times and used it almost the whole way no problems. and that was stock.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
333-355's. Stock would totally **** after you've driven it with 410's. It would feel like slow **** in my opinion. I'm at 660 with 355's. 333's as many have said hundreds of times would be perfect. I'm running 345's 19's if that matters. 410's to 307's would be like trading it for a Vette:)

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i never understood the 6th gear being useless thing. 6th is only for cruising, nothing more. it shouldnt be used for any type of acceleration. its basically your overdrive

i cruised to florida a few times and used it almost the whole way no problems. and that was stock.
It's useless in my car (3.07s and 20in wheels) because at the speed limit I am only pulling about 1000 rpms. You can't cruise at 1000 rpms. (I can't anyways).

OP
OP

01GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is actually kind of fun with the 4.10's so far. Gonna do some more driving with it once I replace the power steering pulley (plastic one blew up) before I make a decision but I'm leaning towards 3.55's now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang