708 CAM

s55c

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So can anyone enlighten me about using the "708" cam in my gen1(95)? Have seen a few comments about it... is it worth doing the swap?? big rumpty **** or another smooth idle?? power?? any help is appreciated.. thanks

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id call greg good and talk him about it. i have seen it talked about a bunch though.

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have the heads off already, it's a cheap swap. There are better cams out there for performance, but that one didn't seem to really bother my Gen1 PCM as far as learning goes. With only OBD1, you'll be guaranteed a tail pipe sniff for emissions if there are emissions in your area. I've not found my PCM to be forgiving on emissions with the aggressive CAM. If you are not taking the heads off already, it's not worth the $ for the swap on a CAM at all. The gaskets alone will cost more than any CAM out there.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have the heads off already, it's a cheap swap. There are better cams out there for performance, but that one didn't seem to really bother my Gen1 PCM as far as learning goes. With only OBD1, you'll be guaranteed a tail pipe sniff for emissions if there are emissions in your area. I've not found my PCM to be forgiving on emissions with the aggressive CAM. If you are not taking the heads off already, it's not worth the $ for the swap on a CAM at all. The gaskets alone will cost more than any CAM out there.

The only gasket you need is the timing chain cover and the crank oil seal. You can install the cam without removing the heads.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the 708 cam on my gen 3. With the gen3's they take a 708 cam and then adapt the ends so that it will fit into a gen3 and call it the competition coupe camshaft. But really its just a 708 cam.

my result was 11 peak HP and 18 peak torque. Power under the curve from 2000-5000 rpm was a gain of 20 rwhp and 30 rwt.

If the stock cam idle on a scale of 1-10 for chopiness is a 5 Id say the 708 cam is a 6.5

As far as the actual shake of the car Id say with the stock cam its a 5 and with the 708 cam its a 7.5

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here ya go

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-84gvAl-yc[/media]

OP
OP
S

s55c

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the replies and for the vid clip.... I realize its not gonna sound like a BBC but I just feel like if its gonna look kool it should sound kool,,, the 708 definately helps,, not wild enuf to cause problems but not like a stock buick.....

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you get the CAM in with the lifters in place?

Take off Valve Cover. Take off the rockers. Pull the push rods. Insert tool with magnet(to hold lifter). Easy as a fat kid eating cake. :2tu:

If your going to take the time to do a cam. Make it a solid. You will get alot more power with just as much lump.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the 708 cam stock in my car, love it. I only plan on getting my car to 500-510rwhp N/A, so I don't ever plan on swapping out my Cam. However, down the road if I want to hit 600rwhp I will have to do so.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
20 Magnets, Tony Armour, multiple dealerships and the viper wizard all use this approach.

I believe Harbor Freight has the proper magnets. I recall seeing them at my local HF store.

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting, especially on a Gen1 with the gaskets so expensive.

Any tricks to replacing a lifter with the heads on by chance?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting, especially on a Gen1 with the gaskets so expensive.

Any tricks to replacing a lifter with the heads on by chance?

Probably not going to help you now but perhaps later? VSP sells custom head gaskets that allows the lifters to be removed with the heads in place. I purchased these from Dan when i did my heads/cam last year. After everything was put back together, I had to replace a lifter and this gasket allowed me to access the lifter with a flexible extension. The gaskets paid for themselves.

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably not going to help you now but perhaps later? VSP sells custom head gaskets that allows the lifters to be removed with the heads in place. I purchased these from Dan when i did my heads/cam last year. After everything was put back together, I had to replace a lifter and this gasket allowed me to access the lifter with a flexible extension. The gaskets paid for themselves.

That's good info. :2tu: I'll ask Dan about them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960