85% of MSRP?

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just received a flyer from my local Dodge dealership. It says they're offering me up to 85% of MSRP for my 2006 Viper. The fine print says that I must trade it in for a car of equal or greater value in order to receive the buy-back offer. (The only car that satisfies that criteria is the 08 Viper of course.)

I picked up the phone and called their toll free number. Some woman answered the phone, and of course she had no clue what she was talking about. She said that she'd have a manager contact me... Never called back.

Has anyone else received an offer like this? If they give me 85% of MSRP, which equates to about $73k, that means I only have to cough up with an additional 13k to get my hands on a 2008.

I've been watching what the Vipers have been selling for, and if I put mine on Ebay, I doubt that it would fetch anything over 65k. Mine is a black on black vert, with 1501 miles..flawless.

This offer sounds too good to be true.

OP
OP
toomanymodz

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In other words, it's a typical marketing ploy that I should just ignore and toss the flyer into the garbage. They might just as well say 'up to 150%' then, if they're just fudging numbers.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you put the car on a trailer and took it home to a climate controlled garage, and then resisted the urge to EVER drive it they MIGHT give you 85% on trade-in.

They start depreciating (heavily I might add) the value for mileage and "cost to restore to new condition." If you get a good price on a car, than you got $crewed on your trade-in, or you're paying 25% interest. Car dealers are in business to make money, not make friends.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Marketing ploy, sad but true. But dealers got to do what they got to do. Alot of dealers often send out flyers, to people with older cars, stating " We are looking to beef up our used car inventory, we are in need of your 1996 etc used car, it is in high demand " please call us for details on special trade in options.

jdavis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely a marketing ploy. Dealers of all makes are sending these "offers" out to owners. I've received a couple of them from my local Chrysler dealer as well as the Lexus dealer. You won't get anything like that 85% but they will encourage you to bring the car by the dealership in order to evaluate. They simply want to get you in the dealership in order to pressure you to purchase a new car. That's the business they are in!

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've gotten a few phone calls from dealerships as well needing my (insert customer's vehicle here), and they were willing to give me top dollar towards trade-in.

They get your personal info when you bring a vehicle in for service, and do you remember that door prize you signed up to win at the customer appreciation day? Guess what they did with the info they got from the entry forms?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte