900 hp Paxton or TT?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Ritchie,

Our cars appear to be fairly similar. Where are you hiding the 5 gallons of extra intercooler water, in the trunk? I went with a much bigger front intercooler too but haven't added the extra resevoir yet.

Also, what clutch / pp combo are you running? I can't seem to find one that works smoothly and holds the power.

Hey Vegas,

Silver State in September? Likely not. Too hot that time of year for me. That's the other issue that worries me with the guys that are new to forced induction with Vipers. If you don't address the heat issue, heat can kill any FI engine on a road course or "hot lapping" at the drags.

Cool video.

Dan:headbang:

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My extra intercooler lies above the passenger side axle, opposite the battery.

At 24,000 miles I replaced the clutch and slave with stock DC parts. I have had no problems with my clutch. The new clutch was broken in properly and it is very smooth.

:drive:

G

grcforce327

In the street tire class I ran 3 different TT Vipers at bradenton this past year. They all lost to my S/C Paxton. Even with AEM they could only put down so much power. I had 3 runs that were consistent 10.40, 10.43 10.45. I prefer the S/C with the whine. It is more in your face, rough, tough and fits the Viper image better.

Road course with a remote extra large cooler I have it adds an additional 5 gallons of water. The 3 runs I mentioned above were all run in less then 30 minutes so with this DLM system there is very little if any drop off in power while continiously boosting. I have a 5 minute video of the event if anyone would like to see it. It even has an F430 racing a Gallardo not once but twice down the 1320.

Come on Richie,compare your "High End" Paxton to a "High End" TT from a 60 to 80mph roll and see what happens, or slicks at the track! You will get smoked.Same will occur comparing a base paxton to a base DIY TT.With street tires,all we're comparing is who is better at babying the gas!!!:lmao:

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't get smoked at the track. My only loss of the day came to Tony Armour in another S/C car. He is also a world class driver and has run a Viper in the 7's.

Maybe you need to come out and show us something. What type of Viper are you currently driving?

G

grcforce327

There you go! See how close to 7's you can get.Your comparison to a TT system isn't equal.Compare your "HIGH END" Paxton to Tony's "HIGH END" TT full on.No good or bad here,just an "Equal"comparison.:2tu:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Ritchie,

I love the way the stock clutch / pp works; very smooth. I have not had good luck with it in my Paxton car. You are running the stock LUK clutch and pressure plate and it's not slipping? How many miles do you have on it? I tried the stock clutch and got only about 5,000 easy miles on it before it began to slip. Maybe it's because of the Kumhos I'm running on the rear - lots more traction than the Pirellis.

grcforce,

No offense but neither Richties car nor mine could be considered a "high end" Paxton car. These are both street cars. While they make more power at peak than the basic Paxton install, mine still has cats and passes the sniffer. I'm running pump gas (91 octane here in Kalifornia) and only a peak boost of 11.5 lbs. Average boost would be more like 5 - 6 lbs on my car. Not a real fair comparison with a real drag prepared TT car running 15 - 20 lbs of boost from right off idle.

Also, there is a bunch of room for more power with either of our cars. Adding race gas and a proper tune with more timing would add hundreds of HP and tq. Problem with a street car is getting the power to the ground whether it's a TT or Paxton.

As far as who's better at "babying the gas", I think that would be called driving SKILL.

Dan

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a street car I believe the S/C is a better choice. For the track there is no comparison. The TT will rule or at least that is what I see. But I built a car for the street and to use a few days a week to work.

I have also been to the track with Jerry and his car ripped off a 8.75 and then he drove home 1200 miles. More amazing he claims he never received a single citation. His TT is a street car but very radical. I have that video somewhere in my library.

G

grcforce327

Rich,not taking anything away from your awesome wins,it was the way you worded it by beating 3 TT cars.Peddling is definately a skill,imagine putting street tires on a top fueler(1/4 mi = ?).In response to the other guy,any paxton pushing 850+ hp is a high end paxton setup(street car has nothing to do with it as a high end street TT is running 7's), since most come in at 550 to 650 range.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
say you have a 900 rwhp Paxton and a 900 rwhp TT set up, which equipment would be heavier, the Paxton or the TT? Also, which set up would create the most heat?

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear alot about Paxtons and belt slippage. How common is this and can this be fixed at home in the garage by the owner or must it be taken to an expert Viper tech?

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear alot about Paxtons and belt slippage. How common is this and can this be fixed at home in the garage by the owner or must it be taken to an expert Viper tech?

I drove the heck out of my paxton car, including 2,500 miles of gumball driving, a toal of 14,000 mi on paxton, never had belt slippage at all

on the paxton/trubo heat weight issue, i am not sure about weight, may be a push, TT has more equpi, paxton runs air/water intercooler. As far as heat, I think my TT car has more heat than my paxton car did (set of pants feel, no specific data to back that up)

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
24,000 miles and no problems. I replaced it before going to the track in December and it still looked fine. I am using a 10 rib belt and I have seen several other applications where they were using 8 rib belts. Phil what are you running?

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on having a solid SC setup. They are truely a lot of fun, and yes the whine is almost addictive.

In saying that, having had both a SC'd setup on my '98 GTS and TT setup on the same GTS, both from Heffner Performance, a TT Viper wins in both Streetability and Track **********. To say a SC is more streetable, is just not the truth.

It was great having the ability to flip a switch and change both the Boost and power while on the move as well.

IMO Cost is the advantage to SC, besides that, I just don't see any other advantage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950