93 RT/10 Audio Questions

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I just got the car and it has the factory cassette deck. I need to know what im dealing with here.

It looks to be two 6 1/2's in the doors...
and then two 6 1/2's in the center? I was told one of them or both may be a sub?

If one is a sub then im assuming the entire system is run through an amp... meaning I cannot just change the radio without rewiring.

So what are the speakers subs? sizes? where is the amp?

Is there alot of clearance to fit decent 6 1/2's in the doors and in that center peice? or do you have to get some low profile ones?

Do the even make a 6 1/2" sub aftermarket to replace one?

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's quite a few posts in the archives; you may want to search....
The doors hold 5.25"s The center console contains 2 6.5"s.
There are 2 amps in the trunk. I *believe* the left is for the front speakers and the right is for the center speakers.
You could change all the components without rewiring, but the stock wire gauges are pretty small....

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so neither of the 2 center console is a sub?

Well if I put a new head unit in, I will have to rewire to bypass the amps?

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I take it there is noway to get any bass into this system is there? do they make a 6 1/2" sub? maybe one sub and one speaker in the center console?

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the door speakers handle the mid/highs and the center console handles the lows.

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im just trying to figure out what everyone does...

put 5 1/4" components in the doors and 6 1/2 speakers in the center?

or do u put a sub or 2 in the center console instead of speakers?

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a recent post where someone installed a "WickedCAS" sub box (10" I think?) as a center console replacement. If you are planning on running a sub, you don't want to drive it off your headunit....
I had some Focal's in the door, Eclipse in the console, RF headunit and amp. I switched the Focals for some MB Quart, as they were too bright for me; the door placement really aims them right at your head. I'll be putting 1 or 2 JLAudio 10's in the console (depending on what fits; I have them sitting around). I'm using a PG Ti475 and Ti600 to drive the speakers; I'm thinking of mounting them behind the seats (I switched out seats, and the new ones are thinner).
The easier thing to do is just replace the speakers. The stock center console is a cheap piece of plastic; you'd have to build a box if you want to put a sub there. There's a hidden switch on the amps (supposedly; I never checked) which will allow to increase the gain on the amps.
That might be enough for your tastes.
Did you check the archives? Again, all this stuff is there...

Gottaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1st off one of us needs to change our screen name

2nd I just had a system designed for the Viper putting seprates in the doors 6 1/2's MB quarts eliminating the center speakers and a custom encloser single eclipse 10" in the foot well of the pass. side. Upgradeing the factory amp will be a bit tricky because there are not many places to put a bigger amp but we seem to think that the new Alpine mrv 345 will fit in the trunk drivers side wall where the factory amp is...we will see. It wont be done until 2nd week in july.

I hope this helps, good luck

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4