95 rt dash

Robin747474

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hello have a question may sand and repaint my 95 gray dash and radio bezel no cracks in good shape just a little chipping and scuffing no luck in finding a new one anyone know what type or where I could get the matching like to stay as close or original as possible or if anyone does this thanks

Walter Clark

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went thru this about 6 months ago on my '94. I found no products that replicate the soft touch finish that came with the car and I didnt like any of the gray spray paint I found as it all made the gray vinyl on the seats and knee bolsters look old and yellow by comparison. I ended up using Matte Black Krylon Fusion which has just the right balance between gloss and flat to my eye.

By the way, removing the old paint is a must and lots of folks have had success with the room temperature oven cleaner, as did I. I used a green Scotch Brite pad and lots of water to help the oven cleaner once it softened the paint. Then I wet sanded with 320 to remove residual gray and the black (around the instruments) before respraying. You can start with 220 but will have to go over it all well with 320 or 400 to remove the scratched plastic from the 220 or sand paper lines will be visable in the final finish once it cures. Then be sure to do a good degreasing / paint prep wipe down to remove any residual oils the plastic may still have on the surface to avoid fish eyes in the new paint. Any residual gray paint (and it can be hard to see unless the plastic dries completely) will soften up with application of the new paint and leave raised grainy spots in your finish. I did the glove box first as a test and found this little problem detail so removed all the new paint before it dried and started over.

Attachments

• dash repainted.jpg
    dash repainted.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
R

Robin747474

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info looks great love the grey but it just scuffs too easy and almost looks dirty at times the black looks great

ricktessmer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used Dupli-Color Textured Metallic Coating. It is made to be used on dashboards. Easy to apply and very inexpensive. Found it at Walmart of all places. Check it out, I think you will like it.