96 GTS Window Weather Strip

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no easy replacement solution here, short of spending a ton of money for windows, (yes windows) frames, etc. Extended warranty does not cover (unless you have an exceptional relationship with your dealer).

A more economical solution is to acquire the proper glue/sealant (like a product called "Big Stretch"), using it as a glue and filler.

Easily accomplished by cleaning the damaged area with alcohol, sliding the window up, then placing an old credit card or plastic hotel key, silicone spray coated, under the damaged area as a backer. Carefully apply the sealant and let dry.

The issue is that the window is too large for the weatherstrip and eventually pulles it apart at the seams. But using the sealant to fill the gap, you effectively add length to the weatherstriping which seems to cure the problem.

It's important to do this as soon as the weatherstrip splits as window use could catch the broken strip and drag / rip it out entirely.

Expect about $1,200 in parts if you want to do it the "official" way.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A little sloppy and my local source only had gray available, but a little black marker touch up, a touch of vinyl dressing and it now looks as good as new.

You must be registered for see images

Reaction score
Ah yes...the drreaded outte stanchion cover!! The only way to "fix" it is to replace the outter stanchion cover. In order to replace the outter cover is to replace the inner....which means replacing the whole window. :(

A long time ago David Jenkins posted a fix. You basically take a new otter cover, make some slight modifications, and bolt it right on. I have spare covers I plan to modify...I just haven't gotten around to it.

BTW...great fix Ron! Did you also have it come loose around the top and on the inside?

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking that some of the stuff they use to repair scuba wetsuits would
work well. It comes in black and is very durable and water proof.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipermad,

Broke at the outside seam (as pictured) and the inside seam but top is OK. Oddly passenger side only.

Any chance on helping us find Jenkins fix? A search didn't pull it up for me.

Thanks

Dixter,

The key on the glue is that it has to be something that will adhere of course, stretch a bit, be thick enough to fill voids and be neatly appliable.

I'm familar with the wet suit glue (after 20+ years of scuba diving) but avoided it myself because I feared it would get all over, just like the typical weatherstrip cement. The Big Strech adheres well, fills the void, and most important smooths with a damp finger.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RX,

I purchased it from a hardware store called "Do It Center". This web site might help you find it locally.

Big Stretch Web Site

If you can't find it, let me know and I'll see if I can help.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960