97-98 red gts price range

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
just got an email from my VCA down in Houston from a guy selling his 97 GTS supercharged and exhaust for 30-35 thousand. Car looks clean and looks like a good deal. here's the email text. If you want more info I'll foward yopu the info and pics with the guys information.

" It's a 1997 Solid Red GTS with just over 47,000 miles. It has dyno-ed at 675 RWHP, super-charged engine with cat-back Borla exhaust with less than 2,000 miles on both. Very fast, but very streetable too. Wilwood 6 pistoncaliper front and 4 piston caliper rerar brakes. I'm throwing in a set of Purner racing wheels with Hoosier tires. I've attached some pictures if anyone is interested. The car is in great shape, and I just had it inspected by the Viper Tech at NW Dodge. I'm looking to get $30-$35,000 for everything but will consider less due to the high miles. I'd like to see it end up in the hands of someone who appreciates it.
Thanks!"

I was just hunting that email up to post Wes:2tu:

wes

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ha yeah it really does seem like a great deal if it's in good shape. Getting a supercharged viper for 30 grand would be awesome. BTW I saw your car at cars and coffee and parked next to it but didn't get to meet you. If I go next month I'll look out for ya.

Wes

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, it was fun doing those changes to the car. It is super easy to do plugs, I got 10 done quicker than 6 in my Dakota, which was a pain in the rear.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
ha yeah it really does seem like a great deal if it's in good shape. Getting a supercharged viper for 30 grand would be awesome. BTW I saw your car at cars and coffee and parked next to it but didn't get to meet you. If I go next month I'll look out for ya.

Wes

Sounds good. I saw your car there also, looked good. GTS blue ALWAYS looks good.:headbang:

OP
OP
I

ILLKing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, please send me the info. I would love that. Looks like I will be talking with penfed really soon if all is well. PM sent

Last edited:

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wouldnt buy a salvage unless it is to be used as a track car......unless it was minor hood damage and all the pictures were provided of the repair and if so I would expect a good discount because you will have issues selling it in the future

OP
OP
I

ILLKing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I plan to keep it for a life time. On this particular viper I found, they are asking 29,999, the factory recall still needs to be done. I was thinking of offering maybe 25-26,000. It has been listed for a couple months now. What would you guys say its worth considering the mileage, salvage, and recall? It has been rebuilt and body lines look ok from the pictures

moparracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello guys,I have been looking at vipers for a while now and plan on getting one around August-September. Im hooked on a 97-98 red GTS. Wont care to much about mileage as long as the car is well serviced and sound. I would say 80,000 miles or less. Would it be possible to find one in the price range of 28-32k?

there are deals on red ones in that price range with FARRRRR less miles:

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/639471-well-finally-found-one........

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ILLKing;

Operative word (Patience).

Don't buy salvage when with a little patience, you can get a decent Viper in your color preference for a reasonable price. It just requires patience.

I searched for a full year, almost to the day, before finally scoring the "Red" Viper I now have. I kind of set the requirement bar a little high. I wanted it to be a 2002 red in color GTS, and if at all possible, to have a Cognac interior. When I finally got it, it came with a little something extra. The prior owner added white stripes (painted), which in my opinion really set if off. Car had 8,100 miles and met all expectations and then some. Cost was under $40,000. To me, real reasonable.

It is of course your decision, but I think you would be wise to purchase a non-salvage vehicle. Also, you are going to find that most of the cars available for sale are going to have "Low" mileage well below the 80,000 mark you mentioned. That is just the nature of the game. People in general that own and drive these, either track them, or drive them for pleasure. The same is true of other "Super Car" models, such as Ferrari, Porsche and Lamborghini for example. And that in my opinion, is a good thing.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Hello guys, what do you all think the selling price should be on a 98 red/black stripes gts, 43,000 miles, salvaged/rebuilt title?

What happened about the S/C Gts in Houston for low 30's?.

moparracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That thread is a few months old by now though. I guess the prices has gone up a bit for the summer season - hopefully they will come down again in a few months...

the point being, if you're patient - you'll find one in that price range with much lower miles than 80k..... :)

OP
OP
I

ILLKing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't mind salvage as long as its been rebuilt right. I never plan on selling the car, and someone snatched the s/c red one before me. Talk about heart break lol. I'll still be on the lookout, plan on making a move late August, early September. If not then, the hunt will continue, I kind of enjoy it actually lol