97-98 red gts price range

ILLKing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello guys,I have been looking at vipers for a while now and plan on getting one around August-September. Im hooked on a 97-98 red GTS. Wont care to much about mileage as long as the car is well serviced and sound. I would say 80,000 miles or less. Would it be possible to find one in the price range of 28-32k?

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its very possible with far less miles then 80K but you just have to be patient and when the deal comes around you need to jump at it or you will lose out....happy hunting

OP
OP
I

ILLKing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I saw that one yesterday. I wonder what the story is behind it. May have to do a carfax. Maybe by the time August hits, a nice deal will pop up. Modded or not, doesn't matter, just no horror stories lol. Far less than 80k you say? Very good to hear in that case. And much thanks, I have saved up about a months worth of paid vacation just in case I have to travel to find the right one

OP
OP
I

ILLKing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I see now, thanks for that tip. I may end up really using that whole month of vacation to find the right one. just saw something frightening. A rebuilt gts done improperly for 33k :O

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes you will find those from time to time, I personally would stay away from a rebuilt viper unless its a crazy low price and you plan to use it as a track car. You also have to think of resale, vipers will be an extreme collector car IMO in the years to come and a rebuilt will not be worth nearly as much, sure you can save 5 grand now but lose out on 50 grand down the road depending how long you want to hold on to it.

PS: thanks dave666 you have given me a complex I reread my posting 3 times to find errors...I bet there are still some :omg:

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol, well you can count on more errors from me, I was diagnosed with dyslexia when I was a young boy and I'm shocked I don't make more errors than I do, thank god for auto spell check!

OP
OP
I

ILLKing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I plan on keeping the car as long as possible. all vipers give me that feeling for ****** healing when i see one but the gts has put a spell on me, lustful desire for sure. i would rather stay away from salvaged/rebuilt snakes period and find one well looked after. let the hunt begin. and sorry for all the lower case letters where caps should be. my phone won't let me use shift for some odd reason on here. i read so far that some problems are the head gaskets, hood, door handle assembly, and a few more i can't think of off the top of my head as of now. really look foward to joining the club soon though

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dave, I took a look over there, to check on whether (weather) their cars were really theirs or whether (weather?) they're posting them in the correct place.... :D

By the way, funny you mentioned your mom was an English major, so was mine....and, I heard about it (and all her "A's") most every day growing up. Worse, growing up in NY, she wouldn't let us ever sound like we were New Yawkas!

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw that one yesterday. I wonder what the story is behind it. May have to do a carfax. Maybe by the time August hits, a nice deal will pop up. Modded or not, doesn't matter, just no horror stories lol. Far less than 80k you say? Very good to hear in that case. And much thanks, I have saved up about a months worth of paid vacation just in case I have to travel to find the right one

That's rebuilt title one is mine, I don't really know the story on what exactly happend but it was hit up front a few years ago, but the frame passed all tests and it looks and runs great. And I can let it go for under your price range if your intrested. But I'm not trying to sell mine or anything, so I will also tell you there is also one somewhere on the east coast that has around 60-80k miles but clean title for around 29k I think. Good luck with your search!

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan on keeping the car as long as possible. all vipers give me that feeling for ****** healing when i see one but the gts has put a spell on me, lustful desire for sure. i would rather stay away from salvaged/rebuilt snakes period and find one well looked after. let the hunt begin. and sorry for all the lower case letters where caps should be. my phone won't let me use shift for some odd reason on here. i read so far that some problems are the head gaskets, hood, door handle assembly, and a few more i can't think of off the top of my head as of now. really look foward to joining the club soon though

Don't buy a car for the purpose of reselling, unless you plan on flipping it soon. If you have already decided you want a GTS, buy one. I have had a few Viper's already, and never regret buying my GTS. I do love the SRT coupes, but can't afford one or the insurance for it. If I had a choice I would have a SRT coupe, and my GTS. *fill-up*'s GTS looks decent, for the price you can't go wrong (put paint the F^n hood pieces, that just looks weird).

Also FYI, I purchased my 1999 GTS in New Orleans (Clean title) for 26K in November of 2009. It had 48,000 miles on it. Had a clean carfax (2 minor bumps) and a cracked windshield. My insurance company was nice enough to cover the windshield :D. Car had a 9 of 10 paint job, and a few imperfections, but expected for the millage and price. That was the LOWEST viper prices I have ever seen also.

Purchase a Viper to drive that *****!!!

PS check out little things like stabilizer links, seals, welds on the frame.

The little stuff can add up too.

Good luck!!

-Tim

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello guys,I have been looking at vipers for a while now and plan on getting one around August-September. Im hooked on a 97-98 red GTS. Wont care to much about mileage as long as the car is well serviced and sound. I would say 80,000 miles or less. Would it be possible to find one in the price range of 28-32k?

If you find a car you're interested in, definitely give Chuck Tator a call. #914.763.3136

He has like the "Viper Bible" and all you need to do is give him the VIN# of the vehicle and he can tell you all about it's history. He's a great guy and very helpful, you will start hearing more about him the more you use these forums. Goodluck with your search :2tu:

OP
OP
I

ILLKing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Much thanks guys, very helpful.And im 100% sure on the GTS, no second guessing. I love all the red ones that were posted here, thanks for providing the links and tips. I will be sure to give Chuck a call as well before sealing any deals.I will keep an eye on fill-ups as well, much thanks man. Where is the other one on the east coast for 29k?

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*fill-up*'s GTS looks decent, for the price you can't go wrong (put paint the F^n hood pieces, that just looks weird).

Don't worry there going back to red this weekend!

Much thanks guys, very helpful.And im 100% sure on the GTS, no second guessing. I love all the red ones that were posted here, thanks for providing the links and tips. I will be sure to give Chuck a call as well before sealing any deals.I will keep an eye on fill-ups as well, much thanks man. Where is the other one on the east coast for 29k?

I use google advanced search to look for vipers on craigslist, it was a couple weeks ago that I saw it. But I remember it being in one of the major east coast cities. If I come across it again I will let you know!

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should be able to find a really nice red GTS in that price range with far less than 80K miles. A member on here bought a nice red GTS with around 7K miles for $30K recently. The deals are out there, you just have to be ready to act quick when you find them. Good luck with your search.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Searchtempest.com

It searches all of craigslist. I had a guy call me from Colorado about my Viper here in Michigan because he found it using that. I tried it, and NO looking back!!

Also *fill-up* good choice, I would like to see pics afterwards. I have a guy around here that I showed your car to and he is pondering the idea of buying a salvage car, but really looking for a clean title. He's one of those..... I may sell it someday...

-Tim

OP
OP
I

ILLKing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im wondering if anyone in the dmv area has a gts that I can look at one weekend. Never got to see the car up close. Only a rt/10 and a srt-10. Also I know that the 98 comes with the 708 cam, does the 97 and 99 come with it as well? I am in pg county and wont mind driving out an hour to take a look at one just to get familiar with car in terms of where everything is, dimension ect. So far I should be in the market to buy my snake around August

Hyno

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're willing to travel to purchase the car, a 97 or 98 GTS shouldn't be hard at all to locate. In all honesty, I doubt you'll find one with 80 thousand miles on it; far less in fact. Just search online for locations (Yahoo autos has a pretty decent amount of listings for all makes and models).

kyleblix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best of luck to you. I just went through this exact process for my '97 BW GTS. Totally worth it. Happy hunting!

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got mine in that price range, just found a desperate seller. Needed a few things done to it. I plan on completely repainting a different color though, red is not my cup of tea.

Expect to replace clutch, tires, hoses, O2 sensors, plugs, wires, cats, windshield wipers, brakes, transmission repairs if it was an idiot owner, maybe even some paint/clear coat missing. ;)

OP
OP
I

ILLKing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Red is a must for me. as for replacing that list of things, as long as everything isn't bunched together in small cramped hard to reach places, will be fun. the 3000gt i had was easy to work on. my dd kia is a pain. much thanks for all of the tips guys. anyone know about the 708 cam being in a 97 or 99? not many 98's on the market right now that i can find. sorry for all of the lower case letters, my phone only lets me use shift for the first word on the forums

wes

Viper Owner
Reaction score
just got an email from my VCA down in Houston from a guy selling his 97 GTS supercharged and exhaust for 30-35 thousand. Car looks clean and looks like a good deal. here's the email text. If you want more info I'll foward yopu the info and pics with the guys information.

" It's a 1997 Solid Red GTS with just over 47,000 miles. It has dyno-ed at 675 RWHP, super-charged engine with cat-back Borla exhaust with less than 2,000 miles on both. Very fast, but very streetable too. Wilwood 6 pistoncaliper front and 4 piston caliper rerar brakes. I'm throwing in a set of Purner racing wheels with Hoosier tires. I've attached some pictures if anyone is interested. The car is in great shape, and I just had it inspected by the Viper Tech at NW Dodge. I'm looking to get $30-$35,000 for everything but will consider less due to the high miles. I'd like to see it end up in the hands of someone who appreciates it.
Thanks!"