'97 Performance Upgrades about $2K

JBW1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am recently a Viper owner again. I have a 97 RT/10. I would like to do some performance upgrades, bolt-ons. Like George, I want to be able to put it back to stock fairly easily. I would like some suggestions on what to get and where to to buy. My first Viper had the K&N air filter kit. Other than that, it was stock. I have roughly a $2K budget in mind, but if it went over it would not be a big deal. Any suggestions?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1) Rear Gear Swap

2) Intake / Exhaust / [Cats]

3) Add to budget

4) Lightened Flywheel

Last edited:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cat-back exhaust and possibly replacement high-flow cats would be what I would look at first. It's a reasonably easy bolt-on to do a cat-back, and any muffler shop can replace your cats. It'll sound much better, too... Give JonB at Partsrack a call - he's got everything you'll need.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) Sticky tires

2) shorter rear end gears

3) stop there as your budget is blown & everything gets scary expensive from here

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am recently a Viper owner again. I have a 97 RT/10. I would like to do some performance upgrades, bolt-ons. Like George, I want to be able to put it back to stock fairly easily. I would like some suggestions on what to get and where to to buy. My first Viper had the K&N air filter kit. Other than that, it was stock. I have roughly a $2K budget in mind, but if it went over it would not be a big deal. Any suggestions?

Post up some pictures! Those 97 RT/10s are HYPER RARE :omg: :omg:

Only 117 total made, 53 blue/white stripes and 64 red cars.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the cheapest way to make the biggest change in your Viper's acceleration rate: 40mm rear brakes. The SOP dyno will have no problem feeling this one. Well inside budget, bolt on, kind of "is" stock. Also a safety and driver confidence improvement.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For the cheapest way to make the biggest change in your Viper's acceleration rate: 40mm rear brakes. The SOP dyno will have no problem feeling this one. Well inside budget, bolt on, kind of "is" stock. Also a safety and driver confidence improvement.

I think he means DEceleration rate.....

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
0) Tom's 40mm brake upgrade (that is so important I assumed it & forgot to put it on my list). And BTW, the sticky tires + Tom's modded rear calipers = WAY better braking.

1) Sticky tires

2) shorter rear end gears

3) stop there as your budget is blown & everything gets scary expensive from here

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Count them up - 5 of the posters in this thread have 40mm brakes already and one more keeps promising to go to Tators (where Chuck has them on his personal car) and have them put on...

:)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i swear im gonna....lol

car is snowed in at this point... and i have another part i need chuck to install too.

OP
OP
J

JBW1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can tell you, I did flat spot my front tires on my old '97 RT/10. I always thought it was the proportioning valve. I even had the dealer replace it under warranty. Now I know. I think I am going to start with the gear and then do the 40mm brakes. After that, tires, intake and then exhaust. It will just take some time to get the car where I want it. Thanks for everyones good advice.

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1. Headers, hi flow cats and exhaust
2. Short throw shifter
3. Gears
4. Higher ratio roller rockers

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much would one budget for a rear gear swap?
I'm assuming you're figuring a 3:55?
I bought a used differential with 3.55 installed by Unitrax who also did there posi mods. I think I paid $1,100 for the unit then had Fat Albert's shop install it for me since I do not have a lift - so about $1,500 for me but I think that was a pretty good deal. I gave my stock unit away so did not recover anything there.

maxdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take the front two bolts out of the driver seat, you will be shocked of how much more it feels!!!!Just kidding, I think tires and exhaust,some fresh plugs and wires,smooth tubes.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock bushings work just fine for most people, but they take on permanent deformation after several years. The main thing to remember is to perform the final bolt torque with the car ballasted per the manual.

Alignment spec recommendations vary based on your intended driving situations, your skill level and how much tire wear you can stand to fund.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang