98 GTS Missing and Sputtering/High Idle-HELP!!

SRTim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 98 GTS has had a high idle problem for some time now. I usually just tap on the gas pedal when stopped and the idle returns to normal. Today, when driving to dinner, the service engine soon light came on and the car began to miss really bad-I had to pull off of the road because I was afraid it would quit running. When I pulled over, the idle would go up and down from 1000 to 2500 RPMs, and my foot was nowhere near the gas pedal. Luckily I made it home, but I had to run the car in 3rd gear at 3000 RPMs or else it would sputter and almost stall.

Anyone have any idea what the prblem could be?

Thanks,
Tim

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have idle hang problems in my 98 also. Sometimes it's a hangine idle, sometimes it's an erratic idle and a couple blips or lift of the gas pedal will solve it (only to return when I step on the gas again
pissed.gif
)

Don't know about the sputtering?? Plug wire fall off? Batter on it's last leg? IAC motor?

Gerald

v8huntr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
try this, this might solve your problem. first, change all the spark plugs because they might be bad or it might be damaged. check all the spark plug wires and replace it w/msd wires. after everything has been replaced and checked then reset your computer.

1. msd wires (you can get it from jeg's high performance mail order. 800-345-4545)
2. bosch plus four spark plugs (you can get it through napa or olympics auto parts)

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 98 GTS did something similar. I called the dealer and they said it was likely the idle motor, but when they started diagnosing, it was the battery that was dying - it would not hold a full charge. The alternator is apparently not enough to make the car run correctly on it's own and it needs some reserve juice from the battery below 2,000-3,000RPM. So, I could drive at 3,000RPM, but if I slowed down, it would stall.

I went through 2 batteries in 3 years on my GTS, so I would guess your problem is likely the same thing. If not, it could be the idle motor.

EDIT,

The guage on your dash is meaningless for testing this. Try putting the car on a charger overnight and see if the problem goes away... if it does only to return a day or a few days later, then it's definitely your battery.