A/C Problems??

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got a 2000 gts and the a/c has been fine since new. Last summer I noticed it lost it charge and saw bubbles in the sight glass. I had the local dealer charge it up. It was great until last weekend - no cooling!! The local dealer ain't too sharp. Do you have any ideas how to diagnose the leak or problem? I know I am probably going to have to baby sit the dealer when they do it.
They can't even get my diesel truck fixed so how can I expect them to work on a viper!!

V

Venomiss

Since you aren't that far from San Antonio maybe others from that area will come up with some ideas for you.
When we had our 2000 GTS quite a while back I do remember taking it in to get an AC hose replaced at the dealership. Hopefully your fix will be something small.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Soap bubble all the connection fittings (if it still has a charge) and look for signs of oil on hoses and fittings while doing so! It's probably a leaking O-ring... When you pinpont the bad fitting take it to a A/C service shop to repair it. Make sure they evacuate it and use new freon (not the stuff they may have in the grey cylinder with the yellow top).

Oil on A/C fittings means you found the leak... check with soap bubbles. Tiny bubbles means fast leak, big bubbles = tiny leak...

Ideally the mechanic will find/repair the leak, evacuate the system to (29"hg) and let it sit overnight. If it's still at 29" after 24 hours the leak was fixed and the system should be recharged.

Good luck!

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take it to a "REAL" A/C shop and have them "die" test the system that will tell all.. Wash your hands with soap and water.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are several ways to diagnose a leaking A/C system. The best way is to take it to a "real" A/C service shop...good luck finding one. Die will work good but I thought you wanted to try to find it yourself? Sorry for the confusion. Another way is to pressurize the system with nitrogen and start soaping... and, as I said, if the engine bay is clean, any fitting with oil on it is leaking...(also where you'll find the die) 'nuf said.
my .02 BTW, I am a real A/C mechanic, Auto and Universal cert.

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can try Mission over on I-35 between Judson and O'Connor. They have a Viper certified tech.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can do the dye test yourself. Just fill with a can of 134 with dye. Look with a UV light. You can get the pen lights at auto stores. I just used a UV light my wife has to find out where the dog has peed!!

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can do the dye test yourself. Just fill with a can of 134 with dye. Look with a UV light. You can get the pen lights at auto stores. I just used a UV light my wife has to find out where the dog has peed!!

Good point! I didn't know the UV lights were so easy to come by....

OP
OP
V

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok guys, I went to autozone and got some refrigerant, leak dye and gauges. I successfully charged up the system (final readings at 82 degrees ambient air temperature - 42 psi on the suction side and 200psi on the the high pressure side. The A/C blows cold now.
I could not find any leak test dye visible from the top side on the compressor or on the dryer tank. Since it is a slow leak I will check it in a few weeks. Question, do I need to get it on my lift and look for leaks on the underside and where else do I need to look? By the way I did get the o-ring kits, just waiting to find a leak.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang