A/C question

B

BobbysRT10

Hey guys i bought my srt about 1 month ago had issues with the a/c not working that great in stop and go traffic. Took it in and they said I had a bad low pressure switch, they replaced it but it still doesnt blow cold air out in stop and go traffic. If im on the freeway it works great is this normal or should I take it in again? Where I live it about 95 degrees out. thanks for any info

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even in the most extreme weather conditions (hot) the stock A/C works effectively to the extend that its comfortable inside. I have had to turn in down for some passengers who thought it was too cold (vent mode). Something wrong -take it back.......,

gtssnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 06 coupe. It does not get cold and it keeps blowing hot air.

anybody have any ideas??

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Earlier this year my A/C was intermittent. Took a while to diagnose because it started working again just before I arrived at the dealership They had to replace the PCM. No problems since. Good luck!

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine can freeze me if i keep it on high in stop and go traffic. Works very well.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Something is still wrong with your system.

The AC system should freeze you out when its 95F outside.

Mine keeps me cool enough when the top is down at that temperature!!

SRTTOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in West Palm Beach and in 90 - 95F heat the AC in my black 03 works great. I use recirculate mode and after it cools down inside I lower the fan speed to medium. No complaints.

michaelnouri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
srt should have cold air, it could be as simple as condensor had dirt in it and needs to be washed with hose to clean grill, radiator fan not function as good as it should(bleed it off, mopar synthetic fluid), or just a bad pcm, and even too much pump oil in the compressor. Probably it got recharged without a **** down and they loaded it up with too much oil, i have had this happen personally on a lot of car that i have bought were somebody has pulled the motor to remove turbos or other aftermarket products.
thanks.

Have the unit **** down and cleaned, then recharged, 79 bucks anywhere.

[email protected]

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had my car for a full summer before I realized I needed to put the control knob in one of the two "recirc" positions (the 2 positions on the lower left). Once I figured this out, it was like A/C on steroids.

OP
OP
B

BobbysRT10

Thanks guys I guess im going to have to take it in again.What is "recirc" positions (the 2 positions on the lower left?

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys I guess im going to have to take it in again.What is "recirc" positions (the 2 positions on the lower left?

"recirc" is found in the most CCW positions of the air selection knob. One position is mid level vents only and the other is split between floor and mid level.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is what I'm talking about with the recirc positions. These 2 on the lower left. Make sure you try yours in one of these 2 positions before you take it to the shop. The difference is like night and day.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
B

BobbysRT10

Yea now it blows out supper cold when I use the "recirc" positions (the 2 positions on the lower left) Is this what everyone uses? And is that normal for the other four positions to blow out hot air at times in stop and go traffic? Thanks

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My stock 05 AC worked great, then I put in the Mopar race computer and it sucked. It would vent the freon, then freeze up and not blow at all. I replaced with the new race computer (which I think Mopar should have swapped out for free but didn't!) and it works great now. I get cold air in any ac position but the recirc definately kicks.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My stock 05 AC worked great, then I put in the Mopar race computer and it sucked. It would vent the freon, then freeze up and not blow at all. I replaced with the new race computer (which I think Mopar should have swapped out for free but didn't!) and it works great now. I get cold air in any ac position but the recirc definately kicks.

That's how it is with mine. It's "OK" in the other positions. In recirc, my toes get numb in about 5 minutes.

Same way with my daily driver Focus. The recirc settings blow twice as cold and the non-recirc positions.

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is a vacuum actuator which the rubber diagram goes bad from the under hood heat and the AC/Heater door does not move properly but when this actuator is beginning to go bad and is slightly leaking. You will notice the door will work under higher vacuum. Higher RPMs. I replaced mine and the AC is blowing cold again. I'll post a picture of this actuator and the part number at a later time.

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is a vacuum actuator which the rubber diagram goes bad from the under hood heat and the AC/Heater door does not move properly but when this actuator is beginning to go bad and is slightly leaking. You will notice the door will work under higher vacuum. Higher RPMs. I replaced mine and the AC is blowing cold again. I'll post a picture of this actuator and the part number at a later time.

You must be registered for see images attach

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Thanks for the graphics Outlaw. Every summer it's Recirc, ReciRC, ReCIRC, RECIRC!

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am still amazed how well the air conditioning works with all the heat the car produces. Sometimes I just put the top up, ignore the outside world and sit in TRAFFIC in confort.

SUPER MARIO 68

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I read this discussion and realized my Viper had the same problem. It was warm in traffic and cool when driving on the highway. Since I read this I went out and put the knob in recir. position and it was truely night and day. I couldn't believe it. This tread was very helpful.

Thanks guys... Super Mario

proggod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I read this discussion and realized my Viper had the same problem. It was warm in traffic and cool when driving on the highway. Since I read this I went out and put the knob in recir. position and it was truely night and day. I couldn't believe it. This tread was very helpful.

Thanks guys... Super Mario

Maybe we should sell this as an A/C mod on ebay. Works on other cars too :)

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It should work well on the other knob positions. You need to find a competent mechanic who understands A/C systems and will take the trouble to diagnose the problem.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This past week when I was changing the plugs and wires on my 2003 viper I found a huge cause of why the A/C stops delivering COLD air once the engine has warmed up. If you put your hand under the A/C intake plenum, next to the r h firewall, you will find a large hole that draws in hot air from the exhaust manifold. This explains why the A/C is cold with the engine cols and warmer when the engine has warmed up. This hole is provided to drain excess water from the air intake next to the windshield. I formed a flat piece of aluminum plate and epoxied it under the plastic plenum so that only about 1/2" is open toward the rear of the car for the water to drain. This has made a huge improvement in the A/C cabin temperature.

Robbie

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang