ABS -vs- non ABS Vipers

DSG2003SVT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a parts list or complete kit to convert the non-ABS cars to ABS? The ABS is one of my main hang ups on buying a pre-01 car as well. I would love to get a 98-99 for the cam and forged pistons, but I don't want to lock it up and put flat spots on the tires. I'm not too worried about it for accidents, I've driven non-ABS cars a good bit and they don't bother me. Probably won't ever drive the Viper in the rain either.

Reaction score
No kit to do an ABS conversion, although that would have been nice. I collected all the parts, and made it a winter project to install. I believe Valaya Racing will install ABS, and have done several.

DSG2003SVT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Complete ABS conversion runs about $5-6K

If that's so, then it may be just as good to get a 2001-02 and switch the pistons. Any stock cam that I got would probably be changed out, so having the 708 wouldn't be as big of an issue as the pistons to me.

Reaction score
Tom, I did not change the rear calipers, its all the same 97 brake system, just with the ABS unit added. The ABS unit has electronic brake proportioning I would have swapped out the rears if they would have been a straight bolt on, but then I would have wanted to change the master cylinder. I do think that your 40mm rear calipers might be the finishing touch for my system.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just did an autocross yesterday. This time I paid special attention regarding if ABS ever became deployed. Only once in 8 timed laps did it engage. Much different than road racing where I engage ABS at 3 braking points per lap consistently. Other corners are lower speed and engaging ABS would cause the car to become unsettled and adversely affect times. As such I do not think it is much of an autocross issue.