ACR Stoptech Rotor Hat Maintenance

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you with ACR Stoptech Rotors (slotted with Black Hats), have you done anyting to maintain the Black Rotor Hats? I noticed that each of mine have some splash marks, etc. or at least are not uniform in appearance, although I have not tried to clean them yet. I have never placed armor-all, brake fluid or anything else on the hats. My car sees very light use.

Thanks for your thoughts. :usa:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
those hats get screaming hot, and stain- the look of them are tattooed now. nothing you could have prevented

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACR Stoptech hats are not black they are gold anodized. Aftermarket Stoptech rotors come with black hats. The gold ACR hats appear to hold up well. I track my ACR and they look fine.

OP
OP
S

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I have the Black Hat ACR-style rotors on my 2008 Coupe. I do not think anything spilled on them, so it is odd.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "splash marks" are typically from pets, if you get my drift. A lot of people use Comet cleanser on their (hard) anodized pans-- might work on anodized hats as well (but be careful). Unfortunately, the surface of regular anodized parts tends to micro-crack when it gets very hot-- for example by engine heat or brake heat. This leaves the anodized surface with a porous finish that lends itself to staining.

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As stated above the black ano will fade with age and heat and sun exposure. There is not much you can do to stop this. The splash marks could be any kind of road grime that splashed up when the rotors are hot. Then then dry at different times then the rest of the rotor. As for cleaning there is not much you can do to bring the black back or make it even. I would recommend rubbing alcohol. This is pretty mild stuff but gets the oil and junk off there. Next time you drive it will be dirty again so....... You could always use black high temp brake paint and paint them. Personally I track my car and drive it hard, brakes are going to change color when the get really hot, I look at it like a badge of honor and character .

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960