ACR Suspension Settings and Lowering

ACR_Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm preparing my '00 ACR for a HST event at Hallett on the 28th of this month and thought I might adjust the B&R settings some before I go. The service manual states they both should be on full negative (position 1). The ride is very smooth on this setting but it's kinda hairy taking corners at speed, feels like there's alot of body roll. Or it just may be my lack of courage *cough*cough* Either way I'm curious what some of you track rats have the bump and rebound settings at. Also how much can you safely lower the car without running into a ton of clearance issues while daily driving? Thought I might fix the 4x4 look while I was in there.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ride height for me is basically 2 1/2 fingers between the top of the wheel and the outside edge of the wheel well.

I will occasionally graze the front lip with this height.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eibach's drop it an inch or .8" and that is a no problem ride height. Of course be careful on steep driveways and speed bumps. I'm sure you already know how to cross at an angle. GTS Bruce

OP
OP
A

ACR_Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the ride height advice Bruce and NI-KA :2tu: I think Ill try an inch drop and go from there.

Hallett, Oklahoma? Do you have any info on this event?
That's the place. I passed by that track every time on the way to college and I can't resist the temptation any longer. It looks like its gonna be lots of fun. A local friend is bringing his Gen III Vert as well. It would be awesome to have another Viper there if you wanted to come!

Heres the link to the main page: www.hallettracing.net
High Speed Touring: http://www.hallettracing.net/hsts.html
Track map: http://www.hallettracing.net/trackmap.html

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was your shocks set at factory when this all started? As in do you need a baseline? I just put mine back in last night after a rebuild (dang leaks!) and I still have the actual factory measurements that I took with a calliper.

Let me know.

OP
OP
A

ACR_Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They weren't unfortunately. It's had three previous owners and one of them played with the settings at random apparently :omg: Your measurements would be very appreciated!

OP
OP
A

ACR_Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to make a few adjustments (put them on 3 all the way around) and noticed this little surprise on the shock. Idk why I missed it before. The amount doesn't look "average" compared to the other three which had little to no oil on them... I found your thread Mopar Boy about this same issue but the pics had been removed. Also, guess who needs a pin spanner? This guy. *sigh*

OP
OP
A

ACR_Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's gotta be a case of the Monday's. I can't get the blasted pic to load. I'll have to describe it. There's no residue on the housing, just all up and down the shaft. Some of it towards the top looks like it's been there awhile, like it's not getting full travel.. While the oil/fluid towards the bottom looks like it almost had machining marks or a jitter to it pattern. Thoughts? It's shot is my assumption.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very common problem. ( the leaks ) Do you have the Konis or the Dynamics ACR shocks?

They can be rebuilt to stock specs if desired.

OP
OP
A

ACR_Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The springs are blue and have a Hyperco decal on them while the housings are gold with a Koni sticker. It's an early 2000.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to make a few adjustments (put them on 3 all the way around) and noticed this little surprise on the shock. Idk why I missed it before. The amount doesn't look "average" compared to the other three which had little to no oil on them... I found your thread Mopar Boy about this same issue but the pics had been removed. Also, guess who needs a pin spanner? This guy. *sigh*

Yeah, thats never good. Mine started with wet slight seeming and not long after that.... boom! Liquid dripping. :(

Very common problem. ( the leaks ) Do you have the Konis or the Dynamics ACR shocks?

They can be rebuilt to stock specs if desired.

2000 Should be Koni. Don't believe the Dynamic came till 01/02.

The springs are blue and have a Hyperco decal on them while the housings are gold with a Koni sticker. It's an early 2000.

Not dynamic. I will upload a few pics of mine here shortly....

As for ride height, this is what mine measured:

Driver front: 1.25
Passenger front: 1.30
Driver rear: .928
Passenger rear: .900

I will upload a pic of how that was measured too.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. Here are four leaking Dynamic shocks.

You must be registered for see images attach

Now for measurement, I went under the adjusting collar to the base as that is essentially the changing lift. So only measuring the actual thread height of the adjuster.

You can see here when it was installed again:

OP
OP
A

ACR_Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, that's quite a bit lower than mine are set at. Thanks a million for those measurements, it's gonna make my life much easier. Just goes to show red/yellow owners can get along! :hug:

If anyone has a lead on an used or unwanted pin spanner wrench I'd gladly give it a loving home. Will the wrenches that came with the 08-10 ACRs work with my '00?? For some reason I thought they were around $60 a piece.

Last edited: