Air temperature vs horsepower anyone how to calculate this?

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive tried to do a search on this subject all over the internet but found lots of mixed responses. Last year I got my car dynode at carlisle. Temperature was 97.24 degrees F. with a 7% humidity and 29.64 in-Hg. Not sure what the altitude was. I know all these things factor in to make horsepower. I also know no dyno will ever be the same. But is there any formula to calculate the horsepower loss or gain if the weather would be say 30 degrees cooler and 0% humidity. I know if I put the car on the dyno on a cooler day I would get better numbers. I Know there are calculators for altitude but I was mainly concerned about the temperature. Because 97 degrees is hot. I'd like to see if anyone has way to figure this out. I'm thinking maybe 5-10hp difference in a 30 degree cooler dyno. I could be way off though. Let me know what you guys come up with. Thanks

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't that why they have a correction factor on the dyno?

OP
OP
S

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car is 2004 na. Just exhaust at time of dyno and recently added k&n intake.

Call me silly but I didn't know dynos had a correction factor.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All dynos I have used have always had the correction factor on! Even with it on the cars will dyno slightly higher in cooler weather... And I do mean so very slightly, which could be attributted to the engine temps being cooler anyways!!

OP
OP
S

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to dyno this sunday at a local dyno day. The dyno is a Mustang dyno. I've heard that a mustang dyno has more of a load bearing. Kind of a bummer bc I wanted to re-dyno on a dyno jet to compare my numbers from last year. But its $40 for 2 pulls so I can't say no for the fun of it.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the drag strip... it's about 1 tenth quicker every 10 degrees cooler out. So if you run a 12.0 at 100 degree temps, you can expect to be closer to an 11.5 in 50 degree temps. I have somewhat proven this as well, but other variables apply I'm sure... Just more of a "rule of thumb".

britospeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are many factors to consider here. For "just" the air difference you can use PV=nRT equation to find the differences in the air. You also need to know if or what the IAT correction is in the ecu or program in the ecu that you are running. This can have as great or greater impact as the air density difference from temperature.

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actual elevation isn't as important as density altitude (DA), which I think is what you're asking about.

http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_da.htm

DA is calculated from your elevation, temperature & humidity and the reading it gives you is how dense the air is compared to a "standard" elevation. Air density has an important role in horsepower, because the denser the air, the more oxygen in it, and the more horsepower you'll get.

All modern dynos that I'm familiar with take the DA into account when providing the HP readout, called a correction factor, so that dyno readings on different days (with different weather and hence, different DAs) can be accurately compared.

When you're not on a dyno, though, DA has a big effect on things like at the drag strip. A lot of test-n-tuners going for lowest ET will wait until later at night for the air to cool and the DA to go down (to a lower altitude) so there's more O2 and a faster time.

FI (forced induction) engines with superchargers or turbos are more subject to HP fluctuations from DA than NA (naturally aspirated) engines. In fact, supercharged engines drove WW2 fighter planes and let them operate at higher altitudes than NA engines because they were able to grab more oxygen in the thinner air higher up. Down here on the ground though, more oxygen means faster car, so you're always looking for the lowest DA you can get. If you're a stock NA Viper (or any other car) though, DA isn't as much of a factor, as the engine itself can detect the extra oxygen and adjust for it. In fact, your engine is always adjusting for the amount of air it's taking in and the O2 it has available.

Record setting timeslips are usually in the negative DA, in fact (below sea level), even if the racetrack is several hundred feet above sea level physically, on a cold day the DA can get to -500 or -1000 feet.

As far as a direct formula for correlating DA to HP, the above quoted "1 percent Change in power for every 10 degrees." is about as good a rule of thumb as any I've ever seen. There's lots of those around the drag strip.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok bear with me. If you were on a Dynojet, the operator was likely using either an SAE or STD correction factor. They use a formula to automatically "equalize" the conditions, with SAE using a reference conditions of 29.23 InHg (99 kPa) of dry air and 77 F (25°C) and STD using 29.92 InHg (103.3 kPa) of dry air and 60 F (15.5°C).

The difference is STD will always be higher by a few percent. It's a constant percentage.

Here's a little calculator for SAE Conditions:
http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_cf.htm

And the writeup on the equations http://wahiduddin.net/calc/cf.htm

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth