ALPINE FRIED replacement suggestions

Jcoopacr2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The alpine head unit in my ACR needs replacing. Would like to go to XM or Sirrus head with new amp and speakers all around.Any suggestions? Brand names? Installation tips? Horror stories? Pictures appreciated. :crazy:

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you want a direct replacement, i have the stocker in a box out here. can ship tomorrow. but if you wanted an excuse to replace it, you got that now!

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And it is indeed the head unit that makes the whole system sound bad - I didn't realize how bad until I replaced the Alpine head unit in mine with a Pioneer AVIC-N1 (Navigation/CD/MP-3/DVD/etc), and the sound out of the otherwise stock system was improved by double, at least (hard to quantify, but I feel no need to replace any other part of the stock system at this point). The AVIC-N1 has been replaced by the N2, and I have no experience nor know anything about the N2, though.

However, be warned that if you replace the head unit with anything other than the stock unit, you get to go through the fun exercise of making a converter from the stock unit's DIN speaker connector. I opted to try to not do any destructive cutting of the stock wiring, so I spent some amount of time cannibalizing an Alpine amp extension cable to make it into a DIN-to-RCA converter.

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That AVIC-N3 unit is unbelievable. Definitely my next Viper mod once I sell my only car with a decent stereo. Will it play video off an Ipod?

DrDJ

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went after market Alpine to stay with stock power lead and made a converter to go from din to RCA....No mods to car

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Couldn't get it to download. anyone know the problem? It worked ok with another pic. :confused:

[image]http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/8075AVICN3.jpeg[/image]

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Copied and pasted into the browser and the chick looks GOOD! Why would anyone want a DVD player in a Viper. I'm keeping my eyes on the road!

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Copied and pasted into the browser and the chick looks GOOD! Why would anyone want a DVD player in a Viper. I'm keeping my eyes on the road!
Well, there are reasons - my girlfriend watched DVD's when we drove three days each way to/from VOI8, for example. However, it was not a reason I bought the unit - my sole requirement was a CD/MP3 player with navigation; the DVD player was part of it. But, don't for a moment don't think there's no reason to have a DVD player - around 60 hours of driving with a happy passenger is worthwhile. :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32