Aluminum flywheel advise please

Robert1994

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who has gone to an aluminum flywheel ?
Who has the best price on them ?
What brand is best ?
From a performance point of view, is it worth it ?
What difference should it make on an otherwise stock car ?
Thanks in advance

OP
OP
R

Robert1994

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you would or not ?
My car is at the dealer getting a rear main seal
fixed (25k and no coolant leak !). The trans is out
and they asked me if I would like to replace the
clutch and flywheel. The clutch looks great, but I
am wondering about swapping to an aluminum flywheel.
I need to let them know in the next day or so.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While you have everything out you should change the clutch (even if yours is fine) it's not expensive $260 (if I remember correctly) The AL flywheel is not so great of a mod IMHO. I could hardly notice a difference from stock as far as acceleration goes. It was no faster at the track than the stock flywheel either. If you got the $$ to spend then go for it but your better off with other mods if your looking for performance. Got mine from Roe Racing BTW
smile.gif

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Unfortunately I concur with MES. Psychologically it's great, but honestly, I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference if you were to drive 2 identical cars not knowing which was which. Strange actually given the passion some have for them.</FONT f>

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went ot an AL flywheel when I replaced the clutch and slave syl. The only Seat of the Pants difference is that the car runs up through its rev range faster between shifts. Otherwise, it does seem to get quite as much jump from a complete stop (but though I rarely do that anyway).

On my list of mods prioritzed by bang for the buck, it'd rank pretty low. Save the $ and use it to get more seat time on the track or put it into safety equipment!

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert1994:
Who has gone to an aluminum flywheel ?
Who has the best price on them ?
What brand is best ?
From a performance point of view, is it worth it ?
What difference should it make on an otherwise stock car ?
Thanks in advance

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It all depends on what you want to do. If you are road racing and doing heel and toe downshifting, It is definitely better to have the aluminum flywheel. The car revs quicker, and from an inertial point of view, the car will slow down quicker as there is less inertial mass to decelerate. I would have to say that as you are going through the gears, the stock flywheel feels like the acceleration and pull is maintained better between shifts. I have had the luxury of being able to drive both cars one after the other(If I desire to do so). I think this is a more accurate way to experience the difference as opposed to just switching to the light one and thinking it pulls harder. It took me a good amount of seat time with both to come to this conclusion. THat is my story and I am sticking to it. Paolo

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Save your money and install the oil pan trap door baffles. Do a search for Joe Dozzo. He is a source for the baffles and he also has the details to modify the windage tray. Last but not least put on the ACR filter adapter.

With the pan down all this can be done easily. The cost will be no more than the fly wheel and you have made your car far more reliable. If you drag race with slicks, the light flywheel is a negative.

Greg D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put one in when the dealer replaced the rear main seal in my 97 GTS. With the aluminum flywheel, my car noticeably revs faster (which tells me the cars is accelerating quicker), but most of all, prior to the aluminum flywheel install, on the first to second gear change I would get a ton of wheel spin (wasting precious E.T.). Now, with the aluminum flywheel, my GTS barely chirps the tires on the 1 to 2 gear change. (This is with street tires, slicks are a different story).
Reducing rotating weight is much more important than reducing static weight with engine speed rotating weight having the most pronounced effect followed by driveshaft speed rotating weight and finally wheel speed rotating weight. (PMOI also plays an integral part of how rotating weight affects acceleration)
If the trans is out, I say go for it.