Aluminum open trailers - what are the choices?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I've decided that my 2000lb steel trailer loaded with car and all my crap isn't ideal for all the racing I want to do. What open trailers are out there that are aluminum (read: under 1000lbs) that are worth looking at?

And if anyone knows of someone selling a used one, I'm up for that as well. I'm looking for an 18'...

Yes, I've used the SEARCH button... just haven't found what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!

JD

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aluminum trailer co., i dont know the number but i spoke w/ them years ago and never made a purchase. If i do though it will be from them it seems they can do any level of customization. and i think open or closed trailers( i was looking at enclosed. very nice to deal w/,

1 Bad Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JD,
If you are sure about an open trailer then I would take a serious look at a Sloan Kwik Load great for Vipers or maybe a Texas rollback (a little pricey in my opinion). Also, there is a great enclosed trailer that weighs less than 2k, now this is not a cheap alternative (close to 10k or more depending on options) www.trailex.com.
You can pick up a new Sloan for around less than 4k fully loaded, the rollback is around 5k fully loaded as well. Problem is both of these are hard to find on the used market.

OP
OP
J

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The texas rollback is steel, I thought. The Sloan I'll take another look at... I thought it too was steel.

I _am_ serious about an open trailer... wife doesn't want to spend 12k on an enclosed [though if I had a spare 12k, I'd probably consider it]. I also like the open trailer I have... Low maintenance and easy to tow with (at 18').

Anyone used a featherlite? I thought I heard something about those being good and light...

Thanks in advance!

JD

RalphieViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Trailex has an open, probably around $5k, also about 900lbs. I use a 16ft bri-mar steel 1600 lbs. It does the job.

OP
OP
J

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My current trailer is a bri-mar. 18 ft. I LOVE it, except that it weighs closer to 2000lb. On the title, it says 2100.

hum...

I looked at trailex. might be some hope there... but for 5k, i'd almost rather suffer with what I have.

any other suggestions?

JD

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an 18 ft Sloan Kwik Load and Dean Sloan said it weighs around 2,000 lbs. with the wind shield. It is definitely made of steel.

TorQ Junkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ordered a Texas Rollback 18 ft. Their website is not uptodate. They make an all aluminum rollback that weighs 1300 lbs. They claim aluminum ones outsell the steel ones, yet they are working on producing stainless steel ones.
I like the 3 degree loading angle and not having to use ramps. My Avalanche brakes ****, so I felt the weight savings were worth the extra bucks.
Of course the stainless D rings and front air dam are extra.

I hope to get it in one to two weeks.

Reaction score
I use an open Featherlite. I think it is about 1200 pounds and 18". Use a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7HO to tow. The Jeep has plenty of torque make towing very easy. I think the 2005 Hemi Jeep GC will be a fantastic rig. In my opinion a good brake controller is a must to make towing safe and easy.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife won't let me get a real truck... something about being a "red-neck from Boston is bad enough..."

JD

thats what diane used to say when we moved down to the ATL from Bean town too. She kicked & screamed , but now she drives the truck more than I do, all that Home Depot, landscaping crap ect. Just do it , its better than making compromises with the trailer. on aluminum trailers, Trailex has some great stuff

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Featherlite here, cost is about $4700, add $500 for the fron air dam to protect the car. Double axle with four electric brakes, radial tires, and six foot ramps, both fenders remove. We still use wood as the ramps are chanelled for smaller tires and the steam rollers don't fit in them. Great trailer, weighs about 1200 lbs and I tow it with a performance truck, no problems.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmmmmm, Get a real truck :laugh:

Joesph..... Tell the wife that now that you live in the South, that REAL men drive a "pick up". Then tell her the trailer you were talking about was really a "mobile home". Make sure you also tell her that your getting a gun rack for the pick up aswell. If she is lucky you will take her and the hunting dawg into town Saturday nite for some square dancing.

Cudaman :usa:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang