Any easier ways of adjusting the proportioning valve for brake balance

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve been trying to fine tune my brakes, but it’s hard to find a place to run the car up to speeds and hit the brakes repeatedly without causing to much unwanted attention. Any other ways to adjust this thing?

I have the Baer 6 pistons, slotted rotors and padgid pads up front, and stock front brakes with brakeman 3 pads and slotted rotors in the rear. Car was set up by ViperSpeed with a proportioning valve under hood.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the proper, or easier way to adjust it by driving the car up to speeds and hitting the brakes?

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I won't be at Sebring. I have to act responsible and work. It' my season now.'
I've talked to ViperSpeed and that's the long version I'm doing now.

Gene's98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I set up my formula car, I have someone sit in it and apply about 3/4 pressure on the brake pedal. Then with the car in the air use a long breaker bar on an upper forward lug nut to try and spin the front and rear tires. You want to dial the bias to the point of full lock on the front with minimal slip on the back. This may be worth a try.

Gene

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are line pressure gauges that you can place on each line and determine pressure at each caliper and then adjust accordingly. Very scientific and time consuming, but it can be done on jackstands and not careening through your neighborhood looking for the point of front lockup ....right before rear..... Probably easier on your tires, too.

But there's not a book on optimal pressure because - as Tom Hayden has been showing us - there's lots of ways to skin a cat when it comes to rebalancing brakes - it's dependent on piston sizes front / rear etc. So it's still gonna be adjust, try it, adjust, etc.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's no problem if I'm at the track, but I won't track my car again till next year. Thanks for the tips

Bob Woodhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK: For those of us who are time and money constrained, this is a simple and effective balance process that I have used for many years, learned it from some of the best.

Bring your vehicle up to approximately 25 miles per hour. You will adjust the speed based on the result which is to produce about four feet of skid mark. Now don't jump the pedal, apply quickly and evenly to get a smooth brake application.

Now back the car up and inspect your skid marks. You want four feet out of the front wheels and three feet of skid mark from the rears. Adjust accordingly.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Kids, the wife are just poking fun.
I design and develop holiday decorations for Cruse Ships, Hotels, Malls etc. So this is the time for me make my tire and brake pad money then I get to screw off, January thru August at the track.

Thank You Bob, That sounds like a great formula, I have a nice, freshly paved road near my house and away from other homes, but it runs along side a golf course. So I’ll take three or four passes and adjust after each run, but I still haven’t got it to were it feels right, and I don’t want to keep going for fear someone will call the law, saying I’m raising hell or something. So every few days I’ll make a few passes and then leave.

Bob glad to see the Woodhouse CC wasn’t in that Max Papis pile up.