Any "famous" preowned? Black any thoughts?

vvvviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any \"famous\" preowned? Black any thoughts?

Been prowling these boards for a few months now as my 36 month C5 lease is all but expired. I've got my eyes on a 2000 or 2001 RT10. Generally speaking, most preowned Vipers here in S. FL have been driven hard.

Was looking around locally yesterday after work and came across a 2000 blk/blk RT10 formerly owned by one of the INSINC boys.
(not to be mistaken with the "new kids" "backdoor boys" or whoever else.) Story goes, kids Mom made him sell the car. Figured he would wrap it, and himself. This isn't the first time I've been shown one of these "pedigreed" vehicles. Seems that there are quite a few well known "previous owners" who just dare not handle the beast any further. Does anyone here own one of these Vipers, preowned by the "stars?"

Anyway, this ride was sweet, 1700 miles, had the new car smell and all but ultimately, I walked away because of the color. I know that may sound trivial but blk/blk just doesn't cut in here in FLA. Seems like blk also gets dirtier quicker, doesn't show the car's "lines" as well and shows up hairline scratches more readily. My 2 cents. Marc in Boca

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Any \"famous\" preowned? Black any thoughts?

I'd agree on the "picks up dirt" and "shows hairline scratches" but I think Black shows the cars curves the best. Reflections off a polished black car can't be beat.

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a black RT/10...awesome look and color but shows dust and pollen within minutes after backing out of the garage (at least where I live)...in winter it is no problem...just spring and summer months...

It just ***** to detail your car, spending hours on it, then it gets dusty within 10 minuutes of sitting outside...

What about the steel gray or silver...can't beat those colors!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

vvvvviper,

Your right on the black..

IMHO, Black looks simply the best! Shows all the curves the best, looks deep and dark and scary,, etc...
But you will NEVER have a clean car. Seconds after cleaning, the car will be dirty. And the swirl marks are forver etched into your heart!
frown.gif

After washing, detailing, Zainoing and polishing, etc. 5 minutes after your done, car is dirty. Only way to keep clean is keep in Garage....

When you see your black car at night under lights ('specially flourescent) it makes you want to puke there are so many swirl marks...

Sold my '94 Black
Bought 98 Red.
(Black still looks the best!)

Gerald

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I bought my black GTS (unseen) because I thought it would look more subtle. Hah! The Viper is far from subtle... I really wanted red, but was afraid it would be too "in your face". Well, I find black to be the most intimidating color of all in a Viper. Red is fun, blue/white is classic, yellow is outrageous.

BTW, it is <u>very</u> hard to keep clean.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No doubt about it black looks the best, but it is VEEEERRRRRY hard to keep clean. I have my snake waxed at least once a week, sometimes 2-3 times a week.

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have black on black & specifically went for a '00 instead of a '01 with ABS just for the color, once I saw the black - how nasty it was - it just fired the right neurons in my brain & I had to have it.

The black on black, coupled with the hot nature of the snake can make it a rough cockpit on ****** days. I've had 5 convertibles & always stay away from black interiors. But I saw a tan interior snake & didn't like the harsh contrast of the black & tan interior mix - some people love it. The tan, from my experience, is much nicer from a hot weather top-off perspective. For example, my daily driver is a VOlvo C70 convertible, Black with Tan interior. I just went for the "look" I liked most for the snake.

Of course, silver / gun metal with a tan interior would be the coolest(weather wise) & easiest to care for. 6 coats of Zaino & a california duster, still toughest thing to clean. Basically, any color viper is going to be awesome, so you can't go wrong - except for the one with the Dolphin paint job that was on the 'net a while back!

Dave. Happy Shopping

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Black is a pain, but worth the labor. What I wanted was Black and only Black without stipes for the reason of STEALTH. In NJ I didn't want or need arrest me painted on the car, or look at me 3 miles away stripes. I know in Florida like here in NJ the Police will come up from behind as well as from ambush so IMHO stealth was important. The car gets enough attention, especially from the police who always do a double or triple take even when doing the limit. When looking for my Viper I came across the RT/10 owned by the late Chris Farley, and one of the AMOCO RT/10's. I figured the Farley car had been abused like hell as well as the AMOCO show car which was HIGH miles. Passed on both
since I was set on the ACR.
Good luck in your search and welcome to the world of Vipers.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vvvviper:
Was looking around locally yesterday after work and came across a 2000 blk/blk RT10 formerly owned by one of the INSINC boys. Marc in Boca
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trivia: D-C hired N'Synch to perform at the national dealer convention. Partial payment was a Pit of VIPERs and a Litter of PROWLERs...... One each for each insinker............

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Although my car is not pre-owned by anyone famous, nor do I have to be concerned about what may be remaining in the interior (RE:RTlittle's post above
laugh.gif
I do have some thoughts on a black car. In my opinion, there is absolutely no decision of color to be made. Black is by far the most intimidating looking, "no fear" color to purchase a Viper in. Black allows all the beautiful lines and curves of the car to capture the eye of the onlooker.
I had purchased a new 98 Rt/10 in red (only because black was not available in 98), well, that car screamed, "Look at me, here I am"; while my Black 2000 GTS strongly says, "Look out, I have arrived".
It's definitely worth all the extra care required, PURE CLASS
redface.gif

Good luck with whatever color you decide on. Have a wonderful day!
Laura
devil.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Agree!

Although I have a coupe now... even more intimidating in the eyes of children, was my black '95 RT/10 with softop and windows installed... they used to run down the block chasing me and screaming.....

batman!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"Batman", eh? Well check THIS out!

<center>
You must be registered for see images
</center>

That is Gateway and Kansas City VCA member Steve Wedel and his lovely wife Lynn. Steve is also the director-at-large for the midwest zone of the VCA.

As to black cars, they are the hardest to keep clean but WOW, are they sharp when they are. All three of my current cars are black (GTS, Durango, & Yukon XL). Previous black cars include Lincoln Navigator (2), Impala SS (2), GMC Suburban, Buick Grand National (2), Lexus LS400, Honda CRX Si, & Chevy Blazer. I have also had dark blue on several cars, which is my second favorite color (yes, the 2001 sapphire blue almost got me!). I try to keep them clean and they really do look awesome when they are. California duster, Zaino #6, and a cotton towel make it pretty easy. I use the self-serve washes (high pressure) after track events, drag runs, or off roadin' (OK, maybe I don't do too much of that in the Viper). While I am one of the friendliest folks you will ever meet, I really like the "sinister" look of a black GTS. Well, Laura's is certainly not sinister - more like formal elegance...

Chris

8AVETTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Black looks good for about two minutes after all that work. I don't have that kind of time. I have a 01 yellow GTS ACR with BLACK strips and they are hard to keep clean. My 2 cents.

Don

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Love that Batman picture Chris! My son is 4 and believes I am Batman. Last Halloween I rented a Batman suit and took the Viper out. Kids loved it, didn't even throw eggs at the car, not bad for Halloween!

I am looking at buying a new property and building a house, it's giving me the opportunity to make a BatCave!

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Y2KGTS:
I really like the "sinister" look of a black GTS. Well, Laura's is certainly not sinister - more like formal elegance...

Chris

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris,
Hmmmmmmm??? Yes, that's correct, formal elegance.... with just enough of the evilly threatening "sinister" quality
devil.gif

Laura

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Saw the Jenna Jameson Viper...believe it or not she is cool as they get - met her a few times in person...hopefully the new owner of her Viper will get to "meat" her...I'd settle for just sniffing the driver's seat!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 'VIPERESS':
98 Rt/10 in red, that car screamed, "Look at me, here I am"; while my Black 2000 GTS strongly says, "Look out, I have arrived".

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sigh...Laura...our first fight.
crying.gif

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
Sigh...Laura...our first fight.
crying.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awww Chuck,
It's really ok, just a very minor disagreement on something that is really quite insignificant in the "big picture". Plus, you'll drive yours and I'll drive mine
laugh.gif

Laura
devil.gif
smile.gif

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joe is right.
The 18 kids on my cul-de-sac all call me BATMAN and my car the BATMOBILE.

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chuck,
BTW it doesn't matter to me what color your car is. It wouldn't even matter to me whether you even owned a Viper at all, because it's not the kind of car that a man drives, that makes the man; it is the man, who makes the car
smile.gif
Have a wonderful day!
Laura
devil.gif

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Frank,

You're redeeming yourself buddy - **** that post was funny - had me cracking up while I'm supposed to be working for a client over here.

Glad it didn't get nuked... looks like we have lightened up a little
smile.gif

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

well I noticed that batman can realy fly!,but I have a clear gts and rt/10!!!(I dont own one,soon will,but when I turn 18)
laugh.gif

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Laura,

If Chuck wouldn't have his car, he wouldn't leave his house. His car makes him the (man?) he is.. Dont' stroke his ego like that.. I have to hear about it later!

Gerald