Anyone else notice the Gen5 trolls have not been around

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This truely is a ridiculous post. Anyone can drag race any vehicle. Just because someone chooses to drag race a vehicle has nothing to do with whether or not the vehicle was designed for that purpose. C'mon. I know that you are more astute than this. And many have brought their Vipers out to the drag strip as shown by many posted videos on this forum including one of my runs in my old car that was done as a test of what it could do even though it was set up for road racing only.

You need to accept the fact that for many, the new tech is just not challenging enough. It does not test a driver's skill set the way a manual shift does. Part of it is generational. There will soon come a time when those with a good manual shift skill set for drag racing will be few and far between. We all know that. But that does not mean we have to like it.

Ya Nine Ball,I will bet, 6 months out YOU(like many more) will be driving one of those super fast shifting new ZO6s running easy 10 second passes all day long.Just think,that will give you months again to run one very high 10 second pass again in a Gen 5 with drag radials...You did a great job and are way above average than the average test and tuner driver.So,that pass was a Exception after a lot of work. You know, as well as I do ,it is ok to use the most modern advances to win a race weather it is in a Turbo S,GTR ,Mclaren or future Z06....A win is a win...

If you were in the South Florida Area I would love do some passes with you at the drag strip against my 991/911 Turbo S or a roll out run....But,you are not and all my friends/others with Vipers always have excuses and will not bring a Gen.5 out to the drag strip...

As for Vipers Not being a drag racer ,go to Drag Times and you will hundreds of people drag race Vipers all the time....That is just a excuse for some now a days for the Gen.5 not being able to run with the best ET s that high tect HP cars now produce...

Flylow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ya Nine Ball,I will bet, 6 months out YOU(like many more) will be driving one of those super fast shifting new ZO6s running easy 10 second passes all day long.Just think,that will give you months again to run one very high 10 second pass again in a Gen 5 with drag radials...You did a great job and are way above average than the average test and tuner driver.So,that pass was a Exception after a lot of work. You know, as well as I do ,it is ok to use the most modern advances to win a race weather it is in a Turbo S,GTR ,Mclaren or future Z06....A win is a win...

If you were in the South Florida Area I would love do some passes with you at the drag strip against my 991/911 Turbo S or a roll out run....But,you are not and all my friends/others with Vipers always have excuses and will not bring a Gen.5 out to the drag strip...

As for Vipers Not being a drag racer ,go to Drag Times and you will hundreds of people drag race Vipers all the time....That is just a excuse for some now a days for the Gen.5 not being able to run with the best ET s that high tect HP cars now produce...

Just clarifying, the acceleration skills "you" have, are as shown here?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5DRCTW-Q7o (starting at the 2 minute mark).

Flylow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I take that back, I meant launch #8 at the 2min 30sec mark. Now - that is impressive! Are you capable of that?

Are you making those faces and sounds, when you are showing us primitive Viper boys, how a car is truly driven in a straight line?

Flylow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are you making those faces and sounds, when you are showing us primitive Viper boys, how a car is truly driven in a straight line?

How long time did it take for you to acquire those skills?
It must be difficult to multitask (making faces, funny sounds, and hands off the steering wheel) when accelerating that fast - WOW

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right. And I could never spend 200k on a Porsche. Plus they're everywhere. I wouldn't buy a GT3 RS for the same reason I wouldn't get a Z06: tHey closely resemble mass produced base models.

LS6 Molester

Viper Owner
Reaction score

wasn't aware viper was a drag car. thought it was a track/road race car? am I wrong

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The answer for the Viper on the drag strip is for Dodge to offer a JATO option, if it doesn't matter what technology gets you the fastest time.

The reason I have been hesitant to buy a Gen V is because my Jeep Rubicon is a much more capable vehicle on dirt & rocky roads for a fraction of the price of the Gen V. I'm waiting until they address those shortcomings.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just clarifying, the acceleration skills "you" have, are as shown here?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5DRCTW-Q7o (starting at the 2 minute mark).

It truly is mind blowing and sad at the same time how much technology is killing the entire driving experience. The fact that my mom can do the same thing as this clown in the video makes me sad. Long live the Viper.

There is an option on that Porsche to allow you to do that launch remotely so that you don't have the driver's weight slowing it down. Those guys are winning hands down at the drag strips.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew that Porsche stuff would raze up many. It was getting boring on here so I had to get some activity going.....I Agree,long live the Viper...

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

But you fail to understand one major thing. I prefer Vipers. I'm not even a Dodge/Mopar guy, I just like American cars. I can appreciate the 911, but wouldn't give up a Viper for buying one. Maybe if I had 30 cars, instead of 10, I might fit a Porsche in there somewhere, likely a classic though. Most of the Porsche guys I know are simply check-writers, they don't own a FULL set of tools. I don't jive with that, as I'm a true gearhead hotrodder. I actually prefer the 911's with the LSX V8 swapped in the ass, that is more my style. And, I'd build it myself.

As for stock vs stock goes, I don't really care about that. I look at cars based on potential, things I can do to them. My 2006 was stock, when I bought it. 1300 rwhp that I built myself, in my backyard, trapping high 150s now. I couldn't do that with a 911, those guys can't even launch without breaking their transmissions at 800+ whp. I drag race everything, and going 10s stock in the Gen V proves that it IS a good drag car, when driven well. 10s are fast for any stock vehicle, period.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your accomplishment and dedication to getting your Gen.5 in the 10s is outstanding...I do not agree that Vipers are not good drag racers as some indicate.Really,any car that runs even 11.50s and does 200 mph stock is crazy fast.I raced Gen2s and a Gen 4 for 15 years,so I will never agree with this thought.Yes,they are difficult, but they will run good times (11 s)and are a blast to drive.....

Again,my intentions are to have the Viper updated so many more regular people will buy them.This is the only way the car will survive in the long run....

DDoug

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The answer for the Viper on the drag strip is for Dodge to offer a JATO option, if it doesn't matter what technology gets you the fastest time.

The reason I have been hesitant to buy a Gen V is because my Jeep Rubicon is a much more capable vehicle on dirt & rocky roads for a fraction of the price of the Gen V. I'm waiting until they address those shortcomings.

Hah! I was just looking at 24" long travel, 500 hp sand rails - about $50k, lightly used.

I wonder if a 911 turbo S would outrun a Viper ... in the dunes ... awd don't cha kno'.