Anyone ever caught running no cats?

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am thinking of ordering a CAT delete kit from ROE and wanted to know if anyone else has or is currently running without cats. Also, if you are, have you ever been caught by a cop for not having them on and if so, what happened? I live in Indiana so there are no emission tests or yearly checks required by the government. Just curious.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never been questioned except once at a state inspection and I said it had high flow cats on it, hence the smell. They are not going to remove your side sills to see if you have cats or not, too much liability for most shops.

OP
OP

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never been questioned except once at a state inspection and I said it had high flow cats on it, hence the smell. They are not going to remove your side sills to see if you have cats or not, too much liability for most shops.

Ok thanks. Good to know!

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let them look under. Put my car on a lift and show me where the cats are. The Vipers cats are encased in the side sills and can not be seen from outside the vehicle in the first place. You could put straight pipes in there and they would never see it, they might think they know but no proof without removing side sills.

OP
OP

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let them look under. Put my car on a lift and show me where the cats are. The Vipers cats are encased in the side sills and can not be seen from outside the vehicle in the first place. You could put straight pipes in there and they would never see it, they might think they know but no proof without removing side sills.

Yea I didn't even think about that. Do you happen to have a picture of your setup KNG SNKE with the side sills off?

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No cats here for about 6 yrs now. Never had a problem. Of course, don't go revving it up in front of said cop/officer/patrolman/trooper/the heat ,etc.
My county is considered rural, so no emissions check here either.

You'll probably throw an error code (can't remember #) regarding downstream O2. either hang 'em up out of the way (mine) or get sims.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone still have their Cats ON ?:lmao:

Do a search on non-fouler and you'll see the posts on how to easily limit the oxygen flow to the rear sensors using a spark plug non-fouler so the CEL stays off. I took my wife's car to NJ state inspection this morning and all they check now since 2010 is that you are not throwing an emission sensor code. Nothing and I mean nothing else is checked anymore like lights, brakes, tires, mirrors... I mean nothing.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Caught me, you found something I don't have a photo of. I only have a photo of my turnouts and the corsa exhaust with no pipe in the middle of them.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woops! :D

You must be registered for see images

I do keep throwing up code lights running the car like this, but is sounds wicked :D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just say you have hi-flow cats.......nobody'll ever take the sills off to look.....

OP
OP

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No cats here for about 6 yrs now. Never had a problem. Of course, don't go revving it up in front of said cop/officer/patrolman/trooper/the heat ,etc.
My county is considered rural, so no emissions check here either.

You'll probably throw an error code (can't remember #) regarding downstream O2. either hang 'em up out of the way (mine) or get sims.

I am going to buy the SCT XCalibrator from Roe and have them tune it so that it wont throw a code. According to Sean at Roe, that's the way to go.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I"ve had stock cats on with a corsa cat back (sounded OK), then stock cats off with a straight pipe (sucked), then swapped a glass pack for the straight pipe (still sucked), then swapped a spiral flow for the glass pack (OK but too much soot on the rear), now just put a new hi flow cat, glass pack and spiral flow under the side sill. I guess getting the sound just right is something I've been playing with for a few years....and for now, I like it and I don't have the exhaust smell or soot.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no cats, merely a straight pipe that runs the full length of the sills, but, no e-check. It was late 99 (and later) that throws the code.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in IN also, getting ready to remove mine this week. My high flows are TOAST!

No emmissions testing so...oh well!!

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I have no cats.....shut the car off right away when you get pulled over.......wait 'til the cop gets back in his car before you start it up......idle by in neutral when you see a cop....or shift to a higher gear and stay off the throttle.........:nono:

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know what I also found out?.........Stay off the throttle around the cops even if your car still has cats on it......I think that's why I like the racetrack so much.........NO COPS.:crazy2:

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been guilty :(

A few years back I donated to my beloved City of Houston via a noise and vibrations infraction. He didn't question the cat v. no cat issue, or even attempt to peek at my exhaust setup (I had a valid emissions sticker). I expected him to walk out with a sound meter or something of that sort, but nothing. It was a simple and very subjective YOU ARE TOO LOUD infraction. I went ahead and paid my minor "debt to society" without any worry to my insurance since this was considered a non-moving violation.....the irony.

I heard that the city recently updated their vague language from "too loud" to "plainly loud" in order to better enforce their noise ordinance. What a joke.

sliverstripeacr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have really loud exaust and can tell you from experience that the only time you will get a ticket is if a cop is in a bad mood as bspinnin mentioned or if you happen to be WOT when a cop is close. I've had straight pipe exhaust in a lot of muscle cars and have yet to get a ticket.

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been running no cats for years. It's loud and no questions so far when it had to go to emissions. Love that I don't burn any bodyparts on the side sills anymore :)

OP
OP

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
update... I finished installing the ROE cat delete kit yesterday. I had flashed the 93 performance tune they sent me on the XCalibrator before taking the cats off (Roe said it wouldn't make a difference). The car ran exceptionally rough and it was almost unbearably loud. I was beginning to think I had made a bad mistake. After driving it today, it threw a 0420 catalyst code. After contacting Sean @Roe racing he emailed me a new tune to run and after flashing it the car ran like new. It is a little quieter and it runs smooth as can be. Huge thanks to Sean at Roe for his help with this project!

OP
OP

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woops! :D

I do keep throwing up code lights running the car like this, but is sounds wicked :D

Do you have any video of yours in action? I kept the 'mufflers' on the sides but removed the stock muffler out back and am now running straight pipes. With the cats gone, my RT-10 now sounds like I think they all should have... like a complete beast! I would love to hear yours with straight pipes the whole way (assuming you took the stock rear muffler off)

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok. dumb question.. why would removing your cats cause the car to run rough? I've done this before on other vehicles.. no issues other than CEL

OP
OP

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok. dumb question.. why would removing your cats cause the car to run rough? I've done this before on other vehicles.. no issues other than CEL

Someone smarter than me will have to answer that correctly. All I can say is that I think the air/fuel ratio was very messed up because it was backfiring like crazy

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have any video of yours in action? I kept the 'mufflers' on the sides but removed the stock muffler out back and am now running straight pipes. With the cats gone, my RT-10 now sounds like I think they all should have... like a complete beast! I would love to hear yours with straight pipes the whole way (assuming you took the stock rear muffler off)
Here :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jc_RJ9kNlA&list=UUi6VyHJ77lXMDcImq3lcgWA&index=3&feature=plcp

And this one at 0:37 :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLvws92__3M&feature=plcp

Belanger Cat Back Rear exit system, just rear resonators (when these clips were taken the set up was Stock Headers and turnouts into 3" cat delete tube Clamped down onto stock turnout using a Beer can as packing with some exhaust gum) :D No expense spared :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang