ANyone know the deal with this?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
After watching that video, a Vette looks a lot less like a secretary's car. But that one is heavily modified. Anything around or under 2 minutes there looks like a great time, judging by Viper Days results. Only three drivers beat that Vette's time in 2007.

Last edited:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In my opinion the comp coupe is faster, or has potential to be faster. It just depends on what was done to the Vette. In Speed GT series,the Comp Coupe is restricted and still wins races. And didnt teams pull out of Lemans because there were too many restrictions put on the Viper. I beleive Chevrolet was a big complainer. So my money would be on Comp Coupe. But like any car, if one is modded more, it has a advantage.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driving a Comp Coupe doesn't necessarily make you a fast driver.

That is exactly true. Fast CC times are in the 40s. Gotta give props though, the C6 Z06 is fast and the guy is driving the hell outta it. It won't last a complete season though. Look how many of them start World-Challenge races and drop out compared to Vipers.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that car must be heavily moded by looking at the extra initials where they show the name of the car. I would imagine that the CC's are all running stock or stock and restricted motors.

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I weighed in on that thread to see if I could get the guy to give up the final cost of his mods. The car is a 21CMC Track mod which as a minimum is a $9000 LPE/21CMC engine redo good for at least 630hp. The car probably also has new antiroll bars, coilovers, brakes, etc. My wife has a Z and I like it a lot, helluva car. I do prefer my vipers though. What the CF guys who are comparing the Z to the CC fail to note are the safety and durability features that make the CC a race car ( fuel cell, roll cage, fire suppression, drivetrain ). The Z will experience accelerated consumption of brakes, rotors, etc. It may also require premature replacement of parts that under street use would never need replacement ( bearings, ball joints, etc). I agree that particular Z is a very nice ride but it is still a street car.

RMBSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The driver/owner of the car is the owner of 21st Century Musclecars here in Dallas. He is the son-in-law of John Lingenfelter. The black Z is his research car (and toy) with unlimited budget. The car is well over the stock 505hp....probrably closer to 650hp. That aside....he is one hell of a driver:drive:

I would like to see what he could do behind a comp coupe.
:headbang: :usa:

Last edited:

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was at the National Chrysler Show today in Carlisle PA, and the Vipers were the main attraction over a thousand plus cars in my opinion. 50 or so of us were present, Had it been a GM show, who know's what their ratio to the crowd would have been with the Vettes. Corvettes are a dime a dozen in my opinion but I know we have a following of those that have a Viper and a Vette in the same Garage, but I say quit wasting space...............

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
these guys were racing at Texas World Speedway, College Staton, Texas, where Texas A& M is located. It's a 2.9 mile roadcourse and is the best I've ever run, including Road Atlanta. It's the most fun I've ever had with my clothes ON.

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are the details of what was on the car he was driving.

The 21CMC Z06 R includes the following mods:

* 21CMC Custom Camshaft
* Lingenfelter Ported & Polished Cylinder Heads
* LG, Dynatech or Kook's Stainless Long Tube Headers with Hi Flow Cats and Crossover Pipe
(I personally use the LG's on my car)
* Lingenfelter Cold Air Intake System
* Lingenfelter Hi Flow MAF Sensor
* Lingenfelter Ported Intake & Throttle Body
* Console Mounted LG Exhaust Switch
* Heavy Duty "Race" Timing Chain
* NGK Plugs / 160 Thermostat
* Professional Installation & Tuning

$9995

* Brembo Gran Turismo C6Z front & rear Brake Kit
* LG w. Bilstein or PFADT Coil Overs
* PFADT Fatty Sway Bar Kit
* Shark Bar Harness Bar w. Camera Mount
* Schroth Racing Harness
* Ron Davis HD Radiator & Oil Cooler
* Caravaggio Race Seats
* Complete Custom Wheel Road Race Package

21 CMC Z06 R Road Race Package

So it is far from a stock Z06. There was one guy who was talking abut the Viper guys being in denial. He was talking about how he could take his stock 385hp car and beat most of the guys. Hmmm, this was promptly answered by me asking him to go to MSR and see how many experienced Viper driving track guys would show him denial. I also told them that alot of the people driving at Viper Days are new to tracking their Viper and as such are inexperienced to the track. I like both cars but some people need to know that just because you beat the driver doesn't mean you beat the car. It was interesting to read in the latest Viper Magazine about the handicaps that they put on the Vipers in the World Challenge races. They put restrictors as well as make them run with an extra 100lbs. I guess the SCCA got tired of seeing the Vipers clean house.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper drivers on the track at that time were new drivers and had almost no track experience prior to that event. They were students, who were being taught how to track their cars. The vette driver was obviously an experienced driver. This information is in a post on the Alley from a driver who was at the event. The Z06 did not go out with the better drivers in Comp Coupes, who beat his times by several seconds per lap.

When I raced motocross in my younger years, I could go out in the novice class practice session and fly past everyone as though my bike had double the horsepower. It may have looked that way but the reality had nothing to do with the bike. This video is nothing more than a similar scenario.

Last edited:

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper drivers on the track at that time were new drivers and had almost no track experience prior to that event. They were students, who were being taught how to track their cars. The vette driver was obviously an experienced driver. This information is in a post on the Alley from a driver who was at the event. The Z06 did not go out with the better drivers in Comp Coupes, who beat his times by several seconds per lap.

When I raced motocross in my younger years, I could go out in the novice class and fly past everyone as though my bike had double the horsepower. It may have looked that way but the reality had nothing to do with the bike. This video is nothing more than a similar scenario.

Uh, that's not true at all, the video was shot during the WHITE run group, all experience drivers. Most doing under 2:10 lap times. That car was way juiced up, lots of power, that's the only reason he was able to do what he was doing, his line around the track was ok in parts and no so good in others. He made up for it in HP.

As for him being a good driver, um, maybe, but he doesn't watch flags very well, he came flying up behind me at the end of the front straight at 160+ and the corner worker had a debris flag thown, he didn't see it and spun about 3 times from the end of the front straight to almost turn 2! He was trying to avoid rear-ending me, I sped up and narrowly averted collision.

I was doing 2:04 laps on street tires in an 01 ACR with no HP mods, the best Viper driver (not me!) out there in my car would be doing about 1:52 laps with slicks and 1:58 on streets.

The comp coupe drivers were doing 1:49 to 1:51 and some a little slower, on slicks.

I'd say this guy's driving was average, take away all the HP to make up for mistakes and he would be maybe 1:58 (on slicks). There was another "plain jane" C5 that did a 1:55 on slicks and he is a good driver.

I bet with all that juice he could be doing 1:45 or better if he tightened up his line and went deeper into some of the corners...

-J

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I copied this post from Viper Alley;

Actually, the Viper Racing League Comp Coupe's were running 49's that weekend. What you saw was John running around in Michelin Challenge (driver's ed style run groups with transponders mounted throughout the weekend) portion of Viper Days, not the race group.

Again, John is really fast. But that video is equally as misleading to people who don't know what the f#ck is going on.

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the information. It's amazing how everyone over there forgets that this car was far from stock. They seem to act like it was a stock Z06 running circles around Comp Coupes.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That guy can drive. Nice tight racing lines.

From his comments at the beginning and the way his tires sounded on the track, I would suggest that he had full on racing stickers. If the comp coupes had on VRL approved slicks that would put him at one heck of an advantage.

Looks like he was carrying an extra 100 hp over the comp coupes.