Anyone put a back up camera in a GTS ?

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone install an aftermarket back up camera in a GTS ( or even a RT10) ? Just wondering what my options are. I live in NYC ( crowded) and at times need to see behind me as I back up. thanks

s66353h

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did. It links into my DVD/navi screen. When I put the car in reverse, it automatically comes on. Just like a factory system would

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Yes there is a wire to connect the reverse on the back of the din unit but I also use the camera as an extra rear view mirror. Passengers love it on charity track days (watching out for those Ferraris and Lambos who fancy their chances overtaking fast red Vipers) :D

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Yes there is a wire to connect the reverse on the back of the din unit but I also use the camera as an extra rear view mirror. Passengers love it on charity track days (watching out for those Ferraris and Lambos who fancy their chances overtaking fast red Vipers) :D
This Is The Way I Would Want Mine Too Fatboy! That is One of the Reasons I've Never Liked the Factory Units just Because they ONLY Come On when Backing Up! Like You (though not on a track, Lol) I Would Like To See What's Behind Me when I'm Going Down the Road! jmo!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Have the camera mounted just above the rear exit exhaust pipes with the wire running behind the Autoform 4 blade rear diffuser.

Here's a couple of pics

IMG_05981.JPG

IMG_06001.JPG

Note the distance of the Viper from the rear view camera ;)

IMG_05991.JPG

And this is the same view from the rear view mirror! :omg:

HPmopars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I "back" mounted mine above the rear plate in the panel between the plate lights, then it's linked to any of the five screens I have in the car.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Wonder Why it Would Make it Look Like its Further Back than it REALLY Is? If Anything You'd Think It Would Make it Look Closer, just for the Fact IF You Decide to Go In the Next Lane! I Mean, Would You Change Lanes Knowing that Car Is That Close To You when In Fact the Camera Makes it Look Like its A LOT Further Back! jmo!

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The super wide angle lens allows you to see more of what's behind you, almost out to the corners of the car where you can't normally see. It's intended to supplement using the driving mirrors, not replace them.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The super wide angle lens allows you to see more of what's behind you, almost out to the corners of the car where you can't normally see. It's intended to supplement using the driving mirrors, not replace them.
I Can Understand That, But it Still Doesn't Explain WHY the Vehicle Behind You Looks Like its 2-3 Car Lengths Back when in Fact its Right on Your Tail! Very Dangerous! jmo!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Can Understand That, But it Still Doesn't Explain WHY the Vehicle Behind You Looks Like its 2-3 Car Lengths Back when in Fact its Right on Your Tail! Very Dangerous! jmo!
I agree with what your saying, its not a replacement for a rear view mirror, but I have it for an added bit of fun. It is useful to monitor any kerb stones when reversing. I did not drill any holes in my car. The camera is approx. 1" inch square and is stuck to the underside of the rear bumper with double sided sticky pad. The wire for the camera runs through the exhaust hole cut out then follows the wires up from the Battery wheel arch into the rear trunk area, then over the top of the rear bulkhead, down behind the drivers seat (under the carpet material), under the drivers inner side sill (behind carpet) and then runs across the Drivers foot well area to the Nav unit. :)

OP
OP
K

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Anyone install a wireless unit with its own dedicated monitor ?

Also how is the view at night ...in total darkness ?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one in the race car and its fantastic (similar set up to Fatboy's). Regarding your night question, yes you can adjust the contracts to make the starbursts kinda go away, but mostly what you see is the lights. However, that's not an issue for the street car because at night you can see the headlights with little issue from the OEM rearview right?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery