Anyone use one of the "dipstick" oil extractors to change their oil?

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Saw one of the oil extractors that uses compressed air to **** the oil out vs. the old fashioned way. Looks like it would be a lot easier and cleaner - especially with how low my Viper is and the fact that I don't have a lift. Any feedback?

Here is the one from Harbor Freight:

6-1/4 Gallon Oil Extractor

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will work on a boat engine, not a car.On a marine app the dip stick is longer to set near the bottom of the pan, Verses a car dip stick is not spaced that close to the bottom of the pan and wont get all the oil out.

Last edited:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will work on a boat engine, not a car.On a marine app the dip stick is longer to set near the bottom of the pan, Verses a car dip stick is not spaced that close to the bottom of the pan and wont get all the oil out.

These pumps do not attach to the dipstick, they simply slide down into the dipstick. They reach the bottom of the pan just fine. Most of the quick-change oil places and dealerships use the vacuum systems, it is quicker and they don't chance stripping the oil pan plug.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
X2 on the filter question. You gotta get under there for the filter, just drain it the conventional way while you are under there. On a boat there is no access to the underside, so there is no option. If you are close you are welcome to come to my place and we'll put it up on a lift. Oops just saw, too far away. You'd need to change it again by the time you got home.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can just remove the air filter casing to reach the oil filter without having to jack the car up. (Good humor though...) If you get 10 qts of oil out on the exchange, or close, then you are good.
IMG_7914.JPG

Looking at the HF unit, I think that I would cut the metal tip off so it doesn't hang up and prevent removal of the extraction hose. BTW, most HF stuff is Chinese junk. Check Griott's Garage. ;)

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i assume if there was any junk in the bottom of the pan it might not get it all out.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i assume if there was any junk in the bottom of the pan it might not get it all out.

One of the reasons I would not use these is that I like to check the magnet in the drain plug for fragments...never found one yet, but I always look. Of course, I have floor jack and jack stands, but I can see that a lot of guys don't have this stuff.

OP
OP
R

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
There's a filter that needs to be changed :dunno: ......

Thanks for the comments and I did get a laugh about sucking out the filter :D. Even with access to a good floor jack and jack stands, this seems to such a clean easy way to change oil. I had a brain fart the other day changing the oil on my rover (nice easy remote filter on top) and spilled about a quart on the floor which made me think about this again. And while I'm not a Mercedes fan - I understand that this is how they change the oil on all of their vehicles.

As far as harbor freight I do have a love/hate feeling about the cheap chinese tools. Much of their stuff is junk, but for cheap (the definitive word) tools that you only need to use on rare occasions - they are ok. I will never buy the cheap plastic zip ties from them as they ALWAYS break right when you don't want them to.

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a clean oil change this weekend on my rt/10, on jack stands. Don't know about your car, but in my car there is a plate in the pan (I know because I just recently changed the gasket) and I am not sure if you can reach all the way to the bodem of the pan through the dipstickpipe.
I also gave this idea some thoughts, but the idea of possibly leaving some old oil behind and the drainplug also has a magnet on it to collect all sorts of metal on it, which should be empty, but it's not present without a reason. If there should be a screw or some steel scraping in the pan, you won't get it out through a straw.

I bought myself a 5 dollar flat and wide "oil collector" which fits the low frame exactly and I was able to get the jack stands away and let the car drip for some time, before putting a new filter back/ drain plug back and fill her up again.

takes some time, but hey, if you aint got the time...buy a lift

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a filter that needs to be changed :dunno: ......

Thanks for the comments and I did get a laugh about sucking out the filter :D. Even with access to a good floor jack and jack stands, this seems to such a clean easy way to change oil. I had a brain fart the other day changing the oil on my rover (nice easy remote filter on top) and spilled about a quart on the floor which made me think about this again. And while I'm not a Mercedes fan - I understand that this is how they change the oil on all of their vehicles.

As far as harbor freight I do have a love/hate feeling about the cheap chinese tools. Much of their stuff is junk, but for cheap (the definitive word) tools that you only need to use on rare occasions - they are ok. I will never buy the cheap plastic zip ties from them as they ALWAYS break right when you don't want them to.

Harbor Freight is great for setting up a cheap tool box that you lend out when that goofy neighbor comes by and wants to borrow tools. Keep the good stuff locked up and lend out the cheap Chinese junk :2tu:

Funny, they always seem to return the cheap tools :smirk:

Regarding sucking out the oil, isn't there an extensive windage tray and baffles in the sump...will this prevent the suction tube from going all the way to the bottom?

Cheers,
George

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the several posts, I feel the main reason for the oil change is to also get the sediment at the bottom of the pan....I do put a magnet near the drain plug and remove the magnet when I take out the plug, then when plug back in I put the magnet back...have seen metal shavings washed out in the oil catching tray....but with newer aluminum parts, the magnet doesn't seem to get as much stuff...once, actually had a small screw come out on a daily driver several years ago...my $.02

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the several posts, I feel the main reason for the oil change is to also get the sediment at the bottom of the pan....I do put a magnet near the drain plug and remove the magnet when I take out the plug, then when plug back in I put the magnet back...have seen metal shavings washed out in the oil catching tray....but with newer aluminum parts, the magnet doesn't seem to get as much stuff...once, actually had a small screw come out on a daily driver several years ago...my $.02

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think the oilplug has a magnet in it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302