Are 3 peice wheels prone to leaking? I have HRE's ---

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just went out and my Drivers Rear tire was DEAD flat ... they are new Nitto tires all around.

My Passenger Front was low a week ago, but is holding air now ... and all the other tires were fine.

This either means:

1. My three peice HRE wheels are leaking (is that a problem with multi-peice wheels?) or
2. Someone is messing with me and my car, and giving me flat tires.

Do 3 peice wheels take maintenance ... like do the hex bolts need to be tightened periodically?

I will keep an eye on them all now and see how quick the leak is , I didnt hear anything hisssssing out while I filled it up.

Last edited:

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My right rear nitto leaves after sitting a few months. I just figured it was the hot and cold temp changes.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First thing I would do is get a spray bottle with a mix of liquid dish soap and water, spray it all over the tire & wheel and look for bubbles, could be the valve too so take the cap off also..

Last edited:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"New tires" throws up a red flag here. 3-piece wheels have a silicone bead that seals the two rim halves together, inside the tire. This bead of silicone is easily damaged by inexperienced tire installers, who may drag a tire tool across the bead, or rub against it too hard with a tire. These silicone beads aren't known for just forming leaks on their own.

I'd advise you to put the wheel/tire in a dunk tank at a tire shop, see where the bubbles are coming out. It could be the tire bead(s) leaking due to damaged beads, too. If you do find the silicone bead leaking, it is a simple repair - but it requires the tire removed and at least 24 hours for a new seal to cure.

This photo shows you were the silicone bead is, it is between the black and the chrome hoop sections.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys ... all great ideas.

I just went out to check the tire and its been holding air for the last 4 hours.

These 345/25/20's are REALLY stretched too on the 13" wide wheels , I guess it could be the bead around the lip too? (this explains the problem in the rear, not the front really)

I appreciate it :) ---

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys ... all great ideas.

I just went out to check the tire and its been holding air for the last 4 hours.

These 345/25/20's are REALLY stretched too on the 13" wide wheels , I guess it could be the bead around the lip too? (this explains the problem in the rear, not the front really)

I appreciate it :) ---

The picture is a little deceptive, in general the bead is about 1/3 the distance from the outside, it depends on the offset. The air will leak at the silicone bead and possibility come out of a one or several bolt holes. I have 20 three piece wheels and I have one that has leaked, I just pulled it apart and put a new bead on the joint, it is fine.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful with the hex bolts connecting the two barrels together. over-tightening can cause leaks too. check with HRE what the torque specs are and tighten in cross-pattern fashion. (if that ends up being the leak issue)

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet its the silicone bead. As someone mentioned, get the wheel/tire in a tub of water and watch to see where the bubbles come out. I just went through this last year, the silicone bead was leaking. Also, unless you know what you are doing, don't try to tighten the bolts holding the wheel together. I think they are supposed to be 24ft pounds, but I also heard you can get into more trouble than its worth unless you are experienced. Best of luck!

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys ... so far is been about 27 hours and my tire is holding air just fine (by looks of the sidewall) ... still keeping an eye on it , will get a gauge on it before I drive it next ---

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, the tire was 100% flat again yesterday. Looks like it only holds air for a week (loses it a little at a time).

Can the silicone bead be fixed by any wheel/tire shop , or is this something I have to look at shipping off to HRE to get fixed?

Looks to be temperature sensitive ... it was good until it got cooler at night all of a sudden.

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
my iforged wheel is leaking at the silcone bead i put all wheels togetehr my seld other 3 dont loose a half a pound of air but my rear pass one was leakign around the bolts took it apart cleaned it all up silconed it again let it dry good torqued in proper sequence and proper torque specs, put tire on still leaking so it has to go back to iforged this winter and be fixed!! Now mine would hold air perfect untill ya drove it then get back home with like 18 lbs i nit but i found a little fix for the rest of the summer to get me by!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude