Are All Vipers Created Equal

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be very hot. It must have something aftermarket inside those rocker panels (side sills)...probably hi-flo cats and maybe a new exhaust. You will need to remove the rocker panels to get a look at what's inside. Removing them is very easy...just a few screws.

LifeIsGood, Thanks for all the info. I looked at those same shifter knobs today, is one for racing & on for more for daily driving. Thats probably all i will need instead of doing the short shifter. whats the deal with the ones that look like their
in a clear crystal ball with the Sneaky Pete logo inside, are they very popular. on the side sills is there just a screw at each end & thats all.

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
:drive:Congrats, Welcome Aboard. Beautiful Car. I miss the 99 I had. Be careful when driving,the Police get BIG EYES in Louisiana.If you need any help, send me a PM. I live in Ponchatoula, near I-55&I-12. but am from the New Orleans area. On 10/23/10 we have a big car show @ Clearview Shopping Ctr on Vets Hwy. in Metairie,La ( Sherriff's Office Benefit)will have some Vipers there. Also check out the Mid South VCA on facebook. Enjoy :2tu:

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LifeIsGood, Thanks for all the info. I looked at those same shifter knobs today, is one for racing & on for more for daily driving. Thats probably all i will need instead of doing the short shifter. whats the deal with the ones that look like their in a clear crystal ball with the Sneaky Pete logo inside, are they very popular.

It's purely a personal choice...the gripper and first strike knobs are both very popular, you don't have to be racing to use the first strike knob. I'm not as familiar with the clear ball ones, I think they are a retro type of knob.

on the side sills is there just a screw at each end & thats all.

This thread shows you where the screws are...

Removing sidesills/skirts

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys I've noticed that a few times when i'm just messing around in & out of the car, a couple of times when the door closed both doors would lock & i would have to get the key remote & unlock is this normal. And if battery goes dead how can you get into car, i haven't seen a manual release or keyhole on outside of car, i think there is an emergency release inside isn't it. And how do you take the top off, is it the little phillip head screws on each side. Thanks

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys I've noticed that a few times when i'm just messing around in & out of the car, a couple of times when the door closed both doors would lock & i would have to get the key remote & unlock is this normal.

This doesn't sound normal to me...my 2001 doesn't do this...maybe you need new batteries in the key fob(s)...maybe even a new car battery.

And if battery goes dead how can you get into car, i haven't seen a manual release or keyhole on outside of car, i think there is an emergency release inside isn't it.

This information is in the Owner's Manual. Although it's no big secret, information like how to get into the car/trunk without the key is not usually openly discussed in these forums.

And how do you take the top off, is it the little phillip head screws on each side. Thanks

This information is also in the Owner's Manual. I'm only familiar with my 2001, but you should have a tool (allen wrench, came with the car) that you can use to unlatch both the front latches (inserted into the squared-off groove opposite the screw head, shown below) and then there are two release latch levers on the rear of the hardtop that will need to be pulled. Once all 4 latches have been released, lift the top off the car. Don't remove the phillips head screw as it holds the front latch onto the top.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks LifeIsGood, I just found owners manual (02' by the way,not sure where it came from) behind the drivers seat. Thanks to George, this should answer most of the dumb questions I've been asking everyone. Thanks for putting up with me & I did change out batteries in key ring now I'll see if it still locks occassionaly when i'm in & out of car. Dealership said they put a new battery in so i should be good with that for while (heard their not easy to get to by the way)and I guess it wouldn't be such a good idea to discuss how to get into these cars on an open forum (Duh).