Are Gen1 - Gen2 differentials interchangeable?

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was originally going to get the gears in my '94 swapped to 3.55's this winter while it is laid up for storage, but thought about it a little bit, and am now contemplating getting a spare diff and re-gearing that instead. My rationale is that I will most likely be getting power adders sometime down the line, and going back to stock gears will be easier with a complete diff to swap in.
In looking around, it seems that diffs and gears are more plentiful for the Gen2 cars. The part numbers are different, but they appear to be the same. Are the Gen2 diffs a direct interchange, or do they require some rework?
As far as the actual gear swap and labor, I plan on having a local off-road shop do the work for me. They've done the gear swaps on my 4x4s and have always done an excellent job. I don't imagine that there is any difference in working on a D44. They offered to use Super Dana 44 gears ; I imagine that these should be strong enough for Viper duty?

Thanks for any input!

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed a 3.55 gears on my -93 this year. The differential came from a -98 Viper.

The COVER of the differential is different, while the differential itself is interchangeable.

PM me for any more info you need.

Lauri

OP
OP
O

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, thanks guys. There's a '01 diff for sale ~4 hrs. from me, and a '96 approximately double that distance (that would need to be shipped). I'm guessing that newer is better; the '01 has fewer miles), plus it is close enough for me to inspect.
I'm curious why you guys have different results? Is it just that the covers look different, but actually interchange, or are the '93's and '94's different?

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have guys that are not familiar with a Viper do the gear change make sure that they put the drive shaft back on exactly the way it came off. It is balanced one way and if you put it on the opposite way you will likely get bad vibrations. Happened to me and I had to bring it back to have it put back the original way. Just have them use a marker to mark the position before removing.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 1's are not the the Super 44, the pinion gear is smaller, however, I believe the ring and pinion from a Gen 2 will actually fit in the Gen 1 housing with an adapter/shim kit. Unitrax can give you the details.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patrick,

I am not sure what you mean by putting it back on the same way? If they swap the rear end, the drive shaft is on a spline up front.

More Info please.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_