are of these ps2's please?

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think PS2's were even out 6 years ago ? i reckon they only been about for 2-3 years (here at least)

most likely just the old Pilot Sports put on at the factory, espicially as the car hasnt been driven

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do they say "ZP" on the side? If they do they are NOT ps2's and they are runflats. If they are ps2's there is a very little part on tire where it will say ps2 but it is very small.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: are of these ps2's please?
dot # fhmr d9f x 0101. on an 02 rt-10. these the originals? car has under 3000 miles. plmk.thanks! Kevin.

The Date code, 0101, is the first week of 2001. Therefore, I'd assume that they are the originals, or at least, they are older than is recommended for driving on.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can keep those tires if you don't need traction, don't track the car, are OK with taking a few feet longer to stop, etc.

PS2s were invented for the 2008 Viper. Put a set on my car and not only was JonB correct when he said they had 40% more traction, but he also said that they'd last `18,000mi. (no burnouts). I've got over 5,000mi. on my PS2s and the rear tread depth still looks like new!. (even with a few burnouts on them).

Ted

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh great. lol. I need new tires on a "new" car with 2,000 miles on it- on an 02. sheesh.

You should also get the brake fluid and coolant replaced.

Brake fluid absorbs moisture over time and for optimum performance you should change it every couple of years or more often if you use the car on the track.

The coolant has additives that prevent the aluminum head and block from slowly corroding due to electrolysis. Those additives are "used up" over time; therefore, the coolant should be changed every two years.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh great. lol. I need new tires on a "new" car with 2,000 miles on it- on an 02. sheesh.

You WILL notice a big difference. I had to do the same thing last year when I bought mine. LOTs of tread but the date code on my tires were from 2000. With those tires if I just thought of touching the gas pedal they would start spinning. Those tires made for exciting but not safe driving!

Buy the new PS2's, you will not regret it...

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reminds me of when I bought my 97 B/W with only 6k miles. First thing I did was replace the tires. Just because they have few miles on them it does not mean there safe to drive.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yah, it ***** that leather, vinyl, and rubber dry out when not bieng used. Pinion seal could probably be replaced. Leather seats need to be moisturized so they don't dry out. When only driven occaissionaly the rotors get rusty, then you drive it and the rust get embedded in the brake pads and ruins their performance as well.

Ted

OP
OP
G

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
both Jon B. and Chuck said the tires will be fine still,as long as I dont race etc..They have full tread,only 2100 miles.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
...both Jon B. and Chuck said the tires will be fine still,as long as I dont race etc..They have full tread,only 2100 miles....

I want to clarify that 7-year old like-new looking rubber is certainly 'safe' for routine street driving. It just LOOKS great, it is definitely HARD RUBBER.

If an 'emergency avoidance' issue unfolds instantly in front of you, these tires will NOT give you snappy responsive cornering, and transitional responses back to under control, and not good stopping traction. (or launch)

New PS-2 tires would transform the handling, seam-rut tracking, all traction conditions dry and wet launch and braking, and better ride....safety margin of new tires vs 7+yr old is indisputable.....

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll back up what Jon said. I wrote off a Viper because of runcraps in the rain. With 1 year old PS1s I would never drive over the speed limit even in light rain because they were slippery. After buying the PS2s on Jon's recommendation I've driven them in extreme rain at 80mph and could feel the road surface in the steering wheel. No comparison between new and old tires or new stye PS2s compared to any of the older style Viper tires, none.

Ted

GRNBGON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB don"t forget to mention that those old hard tires hydroplane very easy, God do I know! Went off roading one time in my 96 with old good looking PS1s. I changed them out the next week.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take it from someone who has driven his viper on run crap PS1's in Norcal torrential rain and even in a snowstorm or 2 through the Canadian rockies with absolutely NO TREAD on teh back ( 29,000 KM's on the original tires ) that even though your old tires are hard, all you need is a brain and some skill and you will be fine. Yes new tires are better, but, your hard old PS1's are probably still better than most tires out there when new.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang