are vipers rare?

dpe_viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are vipers rare? meaning do you see alot on the road? mostly the new gen? (srt10, ACR)

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've yet to see a new gen on the road actually. Kinda crazy... I see Lambo Gallardos weekly.

I've seen 2 Gen IIs in the last week. One because I knew the guy and it was happy hour, the other I hadn't seen before.

ohno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've seen only 2 vipers on the road since owning mine, and I drive around a lot in phoenix and albuquerque.

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
seen 3 Vipers this year. NO gen 4 ACR's ever in person.

Usually see less than 6-7 a year.

See more vettes than that ever day.

racerjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this spring ive seen 3 so far. an rt/10, a gts and one srt coupe.

When you check the numbers there is probably the same number of vipers in the world as there is corvette's made in one year.

Less then 10,000 vipers total i'll bet.

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the total Viper production is close to 26,000 compare that to the roughly 30,000 a year Corvette production. I see Vipers fairly often, but then again there are a couple at my work and our region is fairly active.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not counting club events, I think I can count the number of Vipers I have seen on one hand over the lifespan of the Viper

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
very rare to see one of any generation but I know they are out there. I am not sure but I think I have one in my garage under a car cover. I think. :)

signed,

rain, rain, rain, kids, a wife who could care less about cars, rain, rain, rain.

SandViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have only seen one Viper on the roads other than VCA events.

It was in Conway, SC near Myrtle Beach, SC it was a Red Gen 3 Twin Turbo.

VIPERBARON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the total Viper production is close to 26,000 compare that to the roughly 30,000 a year Corvette production. I see Vipers fairly often, but then again there are a couple at my work and our region is fairly active.

To answer your question: Yes, Vipers are a rare sight on the roads and most car shows. See note above.
When I pull into the gas station in my ZR-1, everyone knows it's a Corvette. When I do the same in my Viper, a crowd appears. We have but a few in Colorado, and saddly one less Viper driver in the Springs now. People stop to stare at the Viper when I drive by, they stare when I'm at a stop light. Why? Because they are a rare sight. :D

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers aren't rare, but it's somewhat rare to see them on the street. You're much less likely to see a Ferrari F40 or something obscure like a Chevy Citation X-11. It's all relative. Around here in IL you'll see a new generation viper every week if you spend a little time on the streets. I think most of it depends on your location. I live near by one of the largest viper dealers in the country.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in a city of 100,000 a stones throw from the arctic;), 200 miles from the next city, and there are 10 here that I know of.

Depends on the demographics, a lot of blue collar money here.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in a city of 100,000 a stones throw from the arctic;), 200 miles from the next city, and there are 10 here that I know of.

Depends on the demographics, a lot of blue collar money here.

Hey Brad, does that include the 3 2010's in the show room up there :dunno:

I saw 8 Vipers today in Red Deer,1 Gen 1-4 Gen 2- 1 Gen 3- 2 Gen 4.:headbang: 4 of us were on a cruise around town for the first time this year.:drive: The locals had something decent to photograph. A yellow and a red with white stripes Gen 2, a blue with white stripes Gen 3, and a Gen 4 SSG ACR with blacked out hood and drivers stripe.:2tu: :2tu:It felt good to be back out for a run. I never get tired of all the attention we get when we travel in numbers.:D

To answer the initial queation, yes they must be rare or they would not get so much attention.

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very rare around me. But there are a few that i know of. I just seen one the other day though. A gen 2 RT. And of course i was in my wifes car. Go figure.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Only run into them at other Viper events here in Houston.

Rare in my book.

stranger355

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For comparison, look at the Lamborghini Gallardo. Looking at the sales number, Gen 3+ Viper production is at about 9500. Last June Lamborghini celebrated the 10,000th Gallardo. So that tells you something. You could take it a bit further and argue that the Gallardo is a global car and very few Vipers get exported thereby making the Vipers more concentrated in the United States and therefore less "rare" here. I would further argue however that Vipers are probably more disbursed over a wider geographic area (considering where the enthusiasts are located) versus the Gallardo which, while global, is still probably concentrated in major cities. So, speaking objectively I think you can safely say that gen 3+ Viper are "rare" in the United States, "slightly less rare" in and around major US cities and "exceptionally rare" outside the United States. I'm in the DC area and I probably see one once a month (not including the 4-20 that I see at my weekly events).

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Been driving my Viper for 1 year and ive seen 1 other Viper on the road. Its crazy.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see Ferrari's and Lambos ALOT more then Vipers, even go yo rich areas, its more Porsche then anything

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this a trick question. the viper is extremely rare. it could easily be argued that the viper is the most rare 87-110k sports car in the world.

the production numbers on the srt10's for exmplae at around 9600 from 03 to 2010 are easily on par with cars that cost 200k plus.

this rarity plus the worlds largest regular production engine at 8.x liters are the main reasons i choose to own these snakes. probally the closest thing you can get to owning a supercar for under 100k by far

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rare is relative. I would no longer call Vipers rare. Sure, compared to Vettes they are rare. But, I can remember driving my Viper in the mid 90s to car shows and it was like martians had landed--not so much anymore--though they still get attention.

As to the post that Corvettes are produced at a 30,000 clip--not anymore. The last couple of years there have only been about 12,000 + and 13,000 + Vettes produced.

Ultimately, IMO, there will be certain rare Vipers that may be more collectable such as a 92, a 96 blue/white, 98 GTS-R and maybe a 2010 last of the beast bunch if Gen 5 is too nannied up. Sadly, there were WAY too many "special edition" Vipers made to the point where it became laughable. (and I owned several:))

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never seen a Gen4 viper or ACR on the road and they have been out for what? 4 years now?

But that dosnt necessarily make them rare. There could be a million vipers produced and if all they do is sit in garages then you will never see them on the road. Thats not the case though. :)
On average;
about 1500 vipers were produced each year
as compared to say a vette at about 30,000/year

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and im asuming the vipers are considered at an "exotic"?

ex·ot·ic
adj.
1. From another part of the world; foreign: exotic tropical plants in a greenhouse. See Synonyms at foreign.
CHECK (for some)
2. Intriguingly unusual or different; excitingly strange: "If something can be explained simply, in a familiar way, then it is best to avoid more exotic explanations" (Chet Raymo). See Synonyms at fantastic.
CHECK
3. Of or involving striptease: an exotic dancer.
TRIPLE CHECK::headbang::headbang::headbang:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FLaLZH07J8&feature=related[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su7ANDZQU3w[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt3WKBalbt8[/media]

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned my car for over two years, besides the viper club meetings I've probably seen viper on the road 5 times. The gen 2 probably twice...

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned my car for over two years, besides the viper club meetings I've probably seen viper on the road 5 times. The gen 2 probably twice...

I was driving to lunch in my GTS and saw an R/T 10 a couple weeks ago. A friend of mine has also seen 2 Vipers in one day while driving his GTS. I think driving a GTS attracts additional Vipers to come out and play.