Asking Austin for a PS help~

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm about to do the gray stripe (08 style) on my silver viper after I put the 08 hood on. Also wanting to do is paint the bottom rear bumper with matte black. I haven't seen any silver with 08 hood and 08 style (narrow one) gray stripe. Any pics would be nice or Austin, please help me~

Here is my car without the 08 hood just yet...
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
Greg-TT

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm also considering the VOI 10 stripes but I don't know how it will look on the convertible though... decisions, decisions....

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would try to help you, but since the hurricane my internet and cable are still out. I only have internet access at work, but do not have PS on this computer.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The black on the silver looks great, but I'm not a fan of the style that hug the scoop inlet like that one (VOI 10), I greatly prefer the regular stripes.

OP
OP
Greg-TT

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got a quote from a reputable shop for the hood paint and dual stripe for $3200. Does it sound reasonable?

Last edited:

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a quote for around $1500 from a reputable shop. I'd look around a little more if I were you. Prices were all over the board, from $500 and up.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a quote on painting the hood for an 08 hood update for $500 from 3 shops, $2700 for the stripes (the difference) seems steep to me.

OP
OP
Greg-TT

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tried 3 different places and they were all 1500 range for the hood paint and another 1200-1500 for the stripes. Guess the 'CA Viper' tax is more than Maryland.:(

I got a quote on painting the hood for an 08 hood update for $500 from 3 shops, $2700 for the stripes (the difference) seems steep to me.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$3000 to paint racing stripes on a viper doesnt seem horribly out of line to me guys. i mean think about all that needs to be done. first of all, the stripes need to be laid out perfect on every inch of the car including throught the front and rear bumpers. your bodyshop isnt going to have stripe templates like prefix does. keeping racing stripes straight and even-looking through those curves can be difficult. vipers have got some pretty tricky curves, and all those tricky little spots, especially in the nose area need to be sanded perfectly so the paint sticks. every inch of the stripes need to be sanded. the entire car gets masked. hopefully they take their time doing all of this, but i really want them to take their time masking off the car so your viper doesnt get any overspray on it anywhere. the stripes get painted, oh and BTW - some paints are extremely expensive right now. then the stripes need lightly sanded, and the car needs to be recleared so the stripes feel smooth. now the car is done and has to pass our picky inspection. if it were my bodyshop doing the work, i wouldnt want you to tell me that i had to redo any of it on my dime.

if they took 40 hours (a week) to get everything right, and $2500 was wrapped up in labor with only $500 in materials, that comes out to $63/hr. not an excessive rate IMO. whats the going rate for a good repair shop nowadays? $50-$75/hr?

if it was my viper, and i was going to get racing stripes painted on it, i would want them to take their time, and get it perfect and factory looking. the first time.

but, if you still think its too expensive, i hear there is a guy in california that can do it all for $250. i hear he does incredible bodywork on 350z's too.

OP
OP
Greg-TT

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
$3000 to paint racing stripes on a viper doesnt seem horribly out of line to me guys. i mean think about all that needs to be done. first of all, the stripes need to be laid out perfect on every inch of the car including throught the front and rear bumpers. your bodyshop isnt going to have stripe templates like prefix does. keeping racing stripes straight and even-looking through those curves can be difficult. vipers have got some pretty tricky curves, and all those tricky little spots, especially in the nose area need to be sanded perfectly so the paint sticks. every inch of the stripes need to be sanded. the entire car gets masked. hopefully they take their time doing all of this, but i really want them to take their time masking off the car so your viper doesnt get any overspray on it anywhere. the stripes get painted, oh and BTW - some paints are extremely expensive right now. then the stripes need lightly sanded, and the car needs to be recleared so the stripes feel smooth. now the car is done and has to pass our picky inspection. if it were my bodyshop doing the work, i wouldnt want you to tell me that i had to redo any of it on my dime.

if they took 40 hours (a week) to get everything right, and $2500 was wrapped up in labor with only $500 in materials, that comes out to $63/hr. not an excessive rate IMO. whats the going rate for a good repair shop nowadays? $50-$75/hr?

if it was my viper, and i was going to get racing stripes painted on it, i would want them to take their time, and get it perfect and factory looking. the first time.

but, if you still think its too expensive, i hear there is a guy in california that can do it all for $250. i hear he does incredible bodywork on 350z's too.
hahaha... I read that post about the 350Z... what a nightmare that can be... Really, I don't mind paying $3000 for an excellent job, just didn't wanna pay the unreasonable viper tax, that's all...

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait, I thought the question was how much to paint ONLY the new 08 hood with a solid color and stripes. The stripes would not be under the paint, it would be on top to match the stripes on the rest on the rest of the car. The $1500 quote I got was for only the hood with stripes on top of the clearcoat. If you were going to get stripes on the entire car (including painting the hood a solid color), and it was under then clearcoat, $3000 would not be unreasonable at all. You could do it for less if the stripe was on top, similar to the factory job.

Denny Wagner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We just striped my personal black Mamba in graphite c/c at one of my True2Form shops in PA last week.

Total labor for layout, masking, sanding, painting, clearcoating took 28 hours (clearing just the stripes, not the entire panel)

Materials were priced at $483

Detailing, buffing, final cleanup took 6 hours.

Our "internal" labor rate (w/o profit) is $34...so our cost of labor was $1156 + materials @ cost was $484, adding up to an actual total cost of $1640

Hence, adding it all up @ retail rates ($55 hr) plus materials would be:

34 hrs labor @ $55.00.......$1870
Paint & materials...............$ 484
Total:..............................$2354 complete

Clearcoating ALL the striped panels would add an additional $1850 to the above price. If you don't....yes, there is an edge, but I'm okay with that on mine....I drive it.

These prices would be honored at any of my True2Form Collision Repair Centers on the east coast. If you'd like your's done....just PM me and I'll put you in touch with the closest center to you.

TRUE2FORM WEBSITE: True2Form Collision Repair Centers

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my car striped for close to the internal rate listed above, and I had no relationship with the shop before they did the work, but now I keep in contact with them. I'm glad I got a good deal, and I'm happy with the work, but I'm not sure someone else could get the same deal.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Greg-TT

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also wondering how it would look with the ACR paint scheme on a vert. May be something like this... But instead of gray, how about silver / flat black with red stripe???? Has anyone tried ACR paint scheme on a vert here?
gosh... this is alot harder than I thought it would be.... :crazy2:

Last edited: